Bass to Barra

Woolybugger

Howdy all, a good mate of mine had a week off so fishing the Bass to Barra trail for 10 days

Location 1: Lake Misery (Monduran) had one day on the water so ventrured way up to H and surrounded areas. Found great water, great weed patchs, nice water temps, good arches but no fish.

Location 2: Lake proserpine is a fantastic lake where we found and saw plenty of Barra however with poor and cold weather, southerlies and the like, i only managed a 1 metre Barra caught on an American style soft plastic I got shipped over the other week.

Location 3: Some creek (name unsure) near Proserpine, we walked the banks in search of our trip target 'the sooty grunter' as i heard they pull pound for pound the hardest fighting fish. Well i tell you what, they do... We were using 6-10kg rods, Diawa Zillion reels with extra drag, 30lb braid and 40lb leader, with spinner baits. We were catching them probably every second cast and they all averaged 4-5kg and lost BIGGER fish and I have never seen such strong fish. some fish we could not stop and they straightened good quality hooks, we had an absolute ball and was one of those fish of a life time days. I also lost Barra in this presine clear water.

Location 4: Lake Teerburra, we had 3 sessions here and caught plenty of Sooties and the aim was to use our Bass gear (7lb line and 20lb leader) and i tell you what, great fun to catch on such light gear. it was good to see a metre plus Barra screaming off through the trees with my spinner bait in its mouth, didnt stand a chance. Also a few Barra caught and lost.

Location 5: Lake Kinchant, saw this lake, wasnt impressed at all so didnt even get the boat wet.

Location 6: Lake Lesley at Bundy, great looking lake, saw heap of Bass on the surface however the boat ramp sh@t house and couldnt even get the boat in the water.

Location 7: Lake Barumba where we found the Bass schools, we caught countless of decent Bass ranging 34-43cm, 46cm Yellas and a heap of Togas ranging 67-87cm. Weather was VERY average however sussed them out quite quickly.

Overall had a very good trip and will definetaly do this again.

PS if you ever venture up that way, or any way of that matter, watch out for the rolling trucks. we were the first at a scene where this truck and the driver was in a right mess, fell asleep i guess...

post-5345-14459887772_thumb.jpg

post-5345-144598877726_thumb.jpg

post-5345-144598877732_thumb.jpg

post-5345-144598877738_thumb.jpg

post-5345-144598877747_thumb.jpg

post-5345-144598877726_thumb.jpg

Archived