Finally cracked the metre club with a new PB

Woggie

Hey guys,

Pretty stoked right now. Today I headed up to Peter Faust Dam as a bit of a pre-fish for the next MTA tournament up there in a months time. Finally landed my first metery. She went 108cm, smashing my existing PB of 95cm. Also got a nice little 77cm fish and lost one that would have been around 80cm or so in the weed.

All fish were caught on 7 inch Atomic Plazo Jerk Minnows hooked weedless on 7/0 Gamakatsu Worm Hooks.

Also and interesting point... The fist 2 fish (77cm and bustoff in weed) were right on cue at low tide at 8am on arrival and the big girl (108cm) was caught at 2pm which coincided with high tide. Not another bite nor fish at any other time of the day

I know we are not in a tidal estuary but I have read a few articles and now starting to become a firm believer that tides really still do dominate peak barra bite times, even way up in the impoundments. All to do with the celestial pull between the sun, moon and earth. And yes, I really do think there is something in it.

Would love to hear any thoughts from people who may know more about this?

Cheers, Luke

post-11689-144598881284_thumb.jpg

post-11689-144598881301_thumb.jpg

post-11689-144598881312_thumb.jpg

Yeh get up here Angus!

Dont bother come up for a Teemburra Dam event. It really is fishing like rubbish and has been for a couple of years.

If you are going to come up, make sure you come up for a Peter Faust event. Those fish up there are angry and would pull a Teemburra fish backwards. They are just massive and scary. I dont know what it is, maybe the massive abundance of red-claw as a staple?

That's a beautiful fish Woggie and I think you're right

Quote: "All to do with the celestial pull between the sun, moon and earth".

As far as I know that's a pretty accurate description of what creates a tide. I always understood that everything is effected by the pull of the celestial bodies (gravity), its simply that water (particularly large expanses of water) show some of the most marked effects. A dam/lake would certainly be affected by tide; how that translates to the fish is beyond me but if the fish in the seas are affected why not the fish in the dams, lakes and watercourses.

Gratz Luke - The dam looks nice. On the sweetwater site the dam does not look very big?

Hi Crazywalrus,

The dam is massive actually. It is over 4300 hectares in size, which is pretty darn big for NQ. Maybe your dams down there are much larger to cater for the drinking supply of the metropolis of SEQ..

Peter Faust Dam is huge mate. I have been up there heaps and still have not discovered all the nooks and crannys

Peter Faust Dam is huge mate. I have been up there heaps and still have not discovered all the nooks and crannys

I have been there twice while working in the area and still haven't got a hit. Might have to get you out on my boat for a look around the dam try and hook me a barra :) I've hit a few other locations up here like the Oconnel and hooked them only to have dropped them.

I have been there twice while working in the area and still haven't got a hit. Might have to get you out on my boat for a look around the dam try and hook me a barra :) I've hit a few other locations up here like the Oconnel and hooked them only to have dropped them.

Hi "Keen-as-fisho", Yeh would love to meet up for a fish mate. I take it that you dont live up here anymore? If not, let me know the next time you are up and we will head up to Faust.

I get the vast majority of my fish whilst fishing the shallow weed beds with weedless plastics, predominately Atomic Plazo Jerk Minnows - jerking them erratically from side to side with zero weight.

I used to have a real sweet landbased spot on the OConnell but the last time I visited it was way too shallow as it has silted up. Might be worth a shot after the wet when the floods clean it out a bit.

Also have some sweet freshwater waterhole locations on the O'C where we commonly catch Jack and Barra. There are alleged to be Jungle Perch there too and I want one so bad but havn't been that fortunate yet.

Top fish to get you into the meter club another spot I will consider for my long service break next year as its not far from my old stompin grounds of Bowen which is another stop next year

Hey "Tugger" - Like the name by the way!

Bowen is a top spot. Been meaning to get up that way and have a fish with Dan Kaggelis who regularly writes for the same mags as I do - North Queensland Fish & Boat, About Fishing NQ...among others. He seems to smack em' up there

Yeah I lived there for a little while but my brother was there for 12 years and i visited him evry year and since he moved we still go up every couple of years great place to wet a line

Top fish to get you into the meter club another spot I will consider for my long service break next year as its not far from my old stompin grounds of Bowen which is another stop next year

Hey "Tugger" - Like the name by the way!

Bowen is a top spot. Been meaning to get up that way and have a fish with Dan Kaggelis who regularly writes for the same mags as I do - North Queensland Fish & Boat, About Fishing NQ...among others. He seems to smack em' up there

Archived