Bloodworms

thousandyards

I don't get a chance to fish that often, so i don't end up posting on here much, and when i go i like to maximise my chances of a good result......so i've been thinking about bait.....wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this:

buy the frozen bloodworms from a pet shop

thaw them and mash them up (i assume they're not going to be great on the hook if they've been frozen)

add a bunch of gelatin and mix it all in together

set them in a round form (haven't figured that out yet - maybe straws?)

use them like a normal worm

i'm sure there'll be some trial and error in amongst this to get the right consistency. I just don't have the time or know-how of the Sand Whiting Yoda (AKA Youngy) to find them and dig them

i know fresh will always be best, but i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this idea? Do you think the gelatin would turn the whiting off? are the bloodworms even the same type that you dig fresh?

any input would be appreciate before i have a crack at this!

yeah the only problem is actually getting them - there's not many places that sell them and they tend to sell out pretty quick, and that's when they have them.

they're also not cheap.....and I usually don't get a bunch of notice if i've got enough time to myself to get out for a fish....so I can't just pop down to the bait shop at manly and grab them like i would a pack of pillies or prawns

trying to figure a cheaper, more consistent option that I can sort out at home and grab on my way out the door

Thousandyards, i to will be interested in the results but i wouldn't bet on your chances of being successful with sand whiting, maybe winter whiting.

I realize how dear blood worms are to buy but they are good bait, i don't know where you live but there are plenty of options for digging blood worms in Brisbane.

In the Redcliffe area you can dig Rockies these are a great whiting bait, around the bay there are spots where you can dig your own Cribb Island worms, these are the ones they sell as blood worms.

The creeks near the mouth of the Brisbane River and between the Brisbane River and Wynum hold some of the same blood worms i dig down this way.

It is hard work but well worth it, here is a bit of inspiration for you to have a go, got this one last week in the Nerang, cheers wayne

post-7760-144598882948_thumb.jpg

Thousandyards, i to will be interested in the results but i wouldn't bet on your chances of being successful with sand whiting, maybe winter whiting.

I realize how dear blood worms are to buy but they are good bait, i don't know where you live but there are plenty of options for digging blood worms in Brisbane.

In the Redcliffe area you can dig Rockies these are a great whiting bait, around the bay there are spots where you can dig your own Cribb Island worms, these are the ones they sell as blood worms.

The creeks near the mouth of the Brisbane River and between the Brisbane River and Wynum hold some of the same blood worms i dig down this way.

It is hard work but well worth it, here is a bit of inspiration for you to have a go, got this one last week in the Nerang, cheers wayne

[attachment=57988]P1100296.jpg[/attachment]

geeeez youngy.....if your aim was to inspire and depress me at the same time...mission accomplished!! ;)

nah thanks for that. i'll be down the coast over Christmas so I might have to have a crack digging at the Nerang somewhere and see how i go.

i'm guessing it would be a good idea to pack the aeroguard?!

Thousandyards, no need for Areoguard in the Nerang, unless we get a lot of rain before you come down the best fishing time is after dark and run out tide at the moment.

As for the worms , no blood worms in Nerang, there are however heaps of wriggler worms at the moment.

Easier to get and a very good whiting bait, cheers wayne

Best way to learn anything Thousandyards is to ask questions, i still ask plenty myself, hardest thing some times is sorting out some of the stupid answers especially on the net.

No mate Wrigglers are shorter and pinker than blood worms, are dug with a yabbie pump in the canals of the Nerang.

Their holes are much smaller than yabbies not much bigger than a pin head, photo is of a wriggler worm, excellent whiting bait, cheers wayne

post-7760-144598885337_thumb.jpg

Look them up and give them a ring before you go in thats what i do so you know if they have them in stock they will give you a price to as its been a while since ive got some it might have changed they get there worm diggers drop them off after they have dug them after low tide they normally have plenty in stock

Thousandyards it is no trouble keeping them alive for up to a week, main thing is not to let water get hot.

In winter i just use a six pack eski with a small aerator in it, change water twice a day and they are fine.

This time of year is a bit more difficult, i use the same eski but put it inside a bigger eski with a small frozen bottle of water in it.

Change frozen bottle of water and water worms are in twice a day and you will have no worries, still using aerator of coarse.

Biggest mistake people make is buying worms, getting to coast, scoop some water of surface water into a bucket and put worms in.

Worms are dead in 2 hours, surface temp of water can be up to 29 degrees in Summer, no good spending a fortune on bait and not looking after it.

Got another 20 whiting Wednesday night up to 40cm, fishing will get better after we have 6 inches of rain, cheers wayne

Thousandyards it is no trouble keeping them alive for up to a week, main thing is not to let water get hot.

In winter i just use a six pack eski with a small aerator in it, change water twice a day and they are fine.

This time of year is a bit more difficult, i use the same eski but put it inside a bigger eski with a small frozen bottle of water in it.

Change frozen bottle of water and water worms are in twice a day and you will have no worries, still using aerator of coarse.

Biggest mistake people make is buying worms, getting to coast, scoop some water of surface water into a bucket and put worms in.

Worms are dead in 2 hours, surface temp of water can be up to 29 degrees in Summer, no good spending a fortune on bait and not looking after it.

Got another 20 whiting Wednesday night up to 40cm, fishing will get better after we have 6 inches of rain, cheers wayne

All makes sense! sounds like you had quite a night too!

• 1 month later...

A very interesting read. I'm about to come to Brisbane for 3 months and will be doing a lot of fishing. Therefore i'm also in the process off learning which fish are in season or out of season, who prefer to eat what, where to find live bait and so forth. It seems to me that worms are abundant as they are being sold in shops. In South-Africa a person needs a specific bait collection permit in order to collect worms. It's illegal to sell worms and a person may only have 5 of any specific worm in their possession.

So if there are worm diggers who acquire these worm for shops then i take it that no permits are needed to collect fresh baits and that the bag limit is relatively large.Am i correct in saying this.

Thx

Torium, the bag limit for worms varies with the different species, just check Fisheries website for the bag limit for the particular worm you are going to try and get.

Blood Worms have a bag limit of 50, there is a catch though each piece is counted as 1 worm.

Have to be careful not to break them into too many pieces while digging, cheers wayne

Torium, the bag limit for worms varies with the different species, just check Fisheries website for the bag limit for the particular worm you are going to try and get.

Blood Worms have a bag limit of 50, there is a catch though each piece is counted as 1 worm.

Have to be careful not to break them into too many pieces while digging, cheers wayne

Thx Wayne.

I'll be sure to study all the rules and reg's for OZ fishing before i start. Sometimes it's so easy to get on the wrong side of the law unknowingly.

Archived