Wahoo Madness

Bi_polar

A mate has just bought himself a 7 meter RIB and invited me out for the day to have a fish and he wanted to have a spear while we were out.

We left Victoria Point ramp at about 4.30am with a light breeze and headed towards the Rainbow channel Destination - Boat Rock.

We got to the bar that was flat with only a little bit of chop and headed out towards boat rock which took no time at all in this rocket ship.

I was keen to see what was down in the depths at Boat Rock as one of the guys have a GoPro, well they jumped in as close to the rock as i could get them and after half an hour or so they had nothing and had seen very little too. So i said lets go have a troll and see if we cant pick up a little Black or some Wahoo.

We headed to East of flat rock and dropped out the lures, i decided for the first couple of fish i would try one diver and one skirt to see which would work best. Well the lures were only out 5 minutes when one of the rods with the skirt got hit and started screaming it's head off. After a short tussle this striped tuna came up.

Headed further east along a shelf there and 5 minutes later skirt went off again but this time it was going real hard and doing some huge runs and after about 10 minutes we dropped it wound the skirt in and it was all roughed up for about the first meter of the trace... classic marlin signs but as we didn't see it, we couldn't say.

Off again and this time the Rapala CD-18 goes off and after a few strong runs our first Wahoo comes up. It was the biggest Wahoo i had seen in a long time at 140cm long and a welcome addition to the esky. Most had to be cut in half to be put into the slurry and some just needed to beheaded.

After that it was a succession of big hard runs from huge Wahoo and most taken on the Rapala.

At one stage there on a double hook up, one Wahoo came at the skirt from below so hard it launched itself into the air nearly 6 foot.

Overall the Rapala got more hits than the skirt, but all in all we had a fun morning.

post-1650-144598882965_thumb.jpg

post-1650-144598882971_thumb.jpg

I think i saw you guy's out there yesterday, did you troll north of boat rock at all ???

I think your mate needs a longer esky :lol:

cheers tim :)

Hey Tim, yeah we hit a few reef's to the north too... The water was teeming with fish.

Thats the boat we were in....This pic was taken a few weeks ago on the Goldy.

post-1650-144598882998_thumb.jpg

Yeah Tim, we saw you guys out there.

We had a couple of Marine Biologists on board from overseas that had never even caught a fish on a line before so they were stoked to be winding in fish like this.

We lost heaps due to lack of experience on their part and not winding fast enough when the fish were running at the boat, but we only took enough for a feed each for six people and it was great to see them having fun.

Yeah mate, i have seen them and many years ago even made my own....lol

Lance from ReelTackle sells them too and my mate will probably buy a couple off him as with me when my new boat gets here.

I also hear you did well, nice to have days like that... i can remember in my younger years in the Post Stephens game fishing comps having days like that.

Will never forget them.

Nice work on the hoo mate

They great chewing

A fair few caught over the weekend off straddie. Good to see they starting to show up in numbers.

We had couple of follows on stick baits and hooked couple on plastics yesterday but couldnt land them.

Now i know what lures to troll with.

Shane

50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shane..... Are you using wire?

EDIT....Wasn't reading that properly...thought Shane said that.

I guess you mean you sold 50 Lance... I thought he lost 50.....lol.. :silly: :silly: :silly:

Yeah we use wire for stick baits and poppers now.. Cant be losing $70-100 lures on wahoo lol. Its pretty sick seeing them follow big stick baits all way to boat. There was way too much boat traffic to be popping properly yesterday so we gave up.

Hopefully get out this week weekday to try for them on stick baits. there will less boat traffic.

Not for plastics though it doesnt swim properly. We tried wire on plastics for bit but they wouldnt tough t. Nearly got 1 up but didnt have gaff.

Shane.

They great chewing

A fair few caught over the weekend off straddie. Good to see they starting to show up in numbers.

We had couple of follows on stick baits and hooked couple on plastics yesterday but couldnt land them.

Shane

when you get your 4 stroke youll be able to troll~

haha

They great chewing

Shane

haha

Lol im not a big fan off trolling.

You do catch more fish that wat but its boring.

Rather catch one a stick bait or popper or side cast plastics at them.

Thats fun.

Shane

They great chewing

Shane

haha

Lol im not a big fan off trolling.

You do catch more fish that wat but its boring.

Rather catch one a stick bait or popper or side cast plastics at them.

Thats fun.

Shane

Shane you sound like Duncan from Fishhead now :lol:

One time i was talking to him about trolling for Hoo, he said bugger trolling get a stickbait out, it's much more fun.

cheers tim :)

Archived