Have boat, need mate to fish with!

Blackstag

Hi all, I've been in Scarborough for a year or so now and purchased a 6m Signature some months ago. Looking for someone who lives close and has a good knowledge of fishing my area. I have been concentrating on diving and carting the family round the bay and local lakes but would like to get into some regular fishing and just dont know anybody to go with or show me the ropes. I like my game fishing especially and offshore bottom. I am lucky enough to be able to go almost any time I please (weekend or weekdays), would even be happy tagging along with others. Like to hear from anyone who might be interested.

Hey bud welcome to the site, your best bet would be to put up a notice in the "going fishing" section of the site with the day/date you plan/want to head out. There is usually no shortage of people here who will jump at the chance to get out and decky, and I'm sure there will be more than a few experienced fishos here happy to lend you a bit of advice. Once again welcome and enjoy the site :)

G'day mate you live in an awesome spot, i would be heading straight over to Cape Moreton and around the Hutchies area. Good trolling ground for pelagics and some good Kingies and Amberjacks around Hutchies.

I don't live up your way but have headed out from Scarborough and headed to Hutchies quite a few times in mates boats.

This is the sort of action you can get at Hutchies mate

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB51LkDcg4k

cheers tim :)

We do a few socials through the year where we go camping with a floatila of boats from here your welcome to join us its a good way to meet a heap of members and we all head out together so you'll get to find plenty of new ground to fish welcome to the site and tight lines

Thanks guys, I've had a big day with very little to show for it actually. As many may say I suspect, the fishing today was poor to say the least. Left Scarby at 5am and spent all morning at Hutchies for only one Scorpion cod! What was worse was the Anglers Almanac was saying "Best Fishing" for the day and we were there during and for more than 2hrs either side of the high tide...no faith in that system now! After listening to others on VHF we decided it was not worth the fuel to go out trolling and headed back into the bay for a whiting on the way home. thanks for the pm's etc, I will reply to all before the weekend is out, cheers.

Mate it was possibly how you were fishing, the bait and the wind direction. Some say it shuts down with a northerly. If all the elements aren't right, wrong rig is used and your tongue isn't hanging out the right way it can be a quiet day. With so many people fishing in Brisbane it can get hard too.

Give float lining a go with quality bait. They may only come on the bite for a short period so when they start hit it hard.

I have had some of my best days going out on the good days when the almanac says but like BJ said it could have been the wind direction that has put them down keep at it and better luck next time. Your just getting out around those parts for the first few times so it takes a little while to learn the areas well and how they fish it could all come down to a few diferent techniques

Thanks guys, I've had a big day with very little to show for it actually. As many may say I suspect, the fishing today was poor to say the least. Left Scarby at 5am and spent all morning at Hutchies for only one Scorpion cod! What was worse was the Anglers Almanac was saying "Best Fishing" for the day and we were there during and for more than 2hrs either side of the high tide...no faith in that system now! After listening to others on VHF we decided it was not worth the fuel to go out trolling and headed back into the bay for a whiting on the way home. thanks for the pm's etc, I will reply to all before the weekend is out, cheers.

Thanks for the help guys. While we did not have any banannas on board we also had no liveys which was disapointing. I took pillies, squid, and a whole mullet and we fished the bottom with a couple of stray lines out back. I do not have any marks for the area but we found a nice looking pinnacle and anchored so that our lines were dropping just on the down current side of it. Had plenty of other boats around us and many seemed to prefer to drift the area. I dont have any plastics so did not try that or jigging. Interesting you say the wind can affect it, I have not heard this before?? The wind was approx 5 knots of N-NE. The current seemed very strong and was a hot topic on VHF amoungst locals.

My mate claims he did not want to out fish me to garantee another trip out and is using that as an excuse for coming back empty handed also!!

Think I'll give it another crack this coming weekend as the conditions are shaping up for then at this stage...fingers crossed.

I will call you now Ian.

Thanks for the help guys. While we did not have any banannas on board we also had no liveys which was disapointing. I took pillies, squid, and a whole mullet and we fished the bottom with a couple of stray lines out back. I do not have any marks for the area but we found a nice looking pinnacle and anchored so that our lines were dropping just on the down current side of it. Had plenty of other boats around us and many seemed to prefer to drift the area. I dont have any plastics so did not try that or jigging. Interesting you say the wind can affect it, I have not heard this before?? The wind was approx 5 knots of N-NE. The current seemed very strong and was a hot topic on VHF amoungst locals.

My mate claims he did not want to out fish me to garantee another trip out and is using that as an excuse for coming back empty handed also!!

Think I'll give it another crack this coming weekend as the conditions are shaping up for then at this stage...fingers crossed.

I will call you now Ian.

Your best bet around Hutchies is Livies, Trolling Hardbodies and Skirts, Plastic's, Jig's and Stickbaits. I've never had much luck around there using dead baits.

Drifting with the sea anchor out is the way to go ;)

cheers tim :)

Archived