No Fish?

Dee

I’ve met people in the past that when they go out fishing and don’t catch a fish they get quite upset and angry, me however, I just enjoy being out on the water and flicking a few Sp’s around, and if I don’t catch a fish, I’m still happy as I was able to get out in the fresh air and relax.

Does anyone here get annoyed or angry when you don’t catch a fish, or are you like me where you just enjoy being out on the water.

I do :( !!

I wouldn't say I get \"angry\" when I don't catch anything it's more looking at my inner self on where did my fishing skills let me down and what can I do on the next trip to improve. Self punishment aggro:evil: !!

I guess you could say \"disappointed\" more than \"angry\"...and no I'm not a bad sport !!

But hey the no fish results are apart of the game we play !!!

Like you Dee I too enjoy being out on the water doing what we love so much... Fishing !!

i fished both days on the weekend just gone..and i didnt get a fish..got smoked by something in the oyster racks but that was the only action i had all weekend!.....beats being at work or mowing the now flooded yard....the only time i think i would get really bothered if i didnt get anything is if i paid to go out and fish..i have been to the bara park b4 and come home without catching a barra, but i wasnt too bothered as just seeing them all day was cool enough..but dont get me wrong..i fish to catch fish:)

I'm similar to you Dee,

It doesn't bother me if I have a slow day fishing because it means I got to relax and forget about the stress of work. It get really frustrated with my mate who sometimes comes fishing with me because if he isn't catching anything within 10 minutes of wetting a line he starts complaining and stating that there are no fish and it's a waste of time. Of course then I'll catch fish and he won't so he'll want to go home. Drives me mad and is the reason I usually go fishing alone. I can fish all day without a bit and it doesn't worry me. Just makes the good catches all the better. Anyway, it's pretty rare these days that I don't catch at least one decent fish per trip which isn't bad considering I'm often land based.

If i'm alone I relax, or if nobody else is catching any fish aswell..

But if everyone around me are catching fish and i'm not, I get a bit angry. It's the same as golf, supposed so be calming, just makes me angry by about the 10th hole.

Joel ;)

Post edited by: obone, at: 2007/08/27 13:38

Depends on what I'm targeting , how I'm targeting them and who I'm fishing with. and it depends on the weather.

If I'm targeting a fish that I rarely catch, I don't really care, but if it is a fish that I should catch continuously, I get a bit annoyed.

If I'm using a technique that I'm not 100% on, I don't really mind.

And if I'm fishing with a few mates (or brother) and they are pulling them in, but I haven't caught anything, it gets bad as they start to brag, but that rarely happens :)

And a day that is really windy just makes it not comfortable to be out.

But, a bad day fishing is better that a good day at work/school

Fishing alone is prob one of the best ways to relax, chill and calm the mind. For me, sometimes its about forgetting everything and just sitting down and enjoying the serenity.

Other times I think of everything else like assignments, soccer, fishing, cooking, girls.. more girls.. It certainly helps coz you get all the time in the world to analyse wat one can do to improve on his/her approach to whatever it is on your mind (i dun mind jus girls mind u, haha). Unless of coz you get a hookup and it totally destroys your line of thought!!

Speaking as one from whom fish flock in the opposite direction in droves (schools?) especially when in the presence of the young fella (who, at 9 years old, makes me look like a bumbling bl**dy amateur :ohmy:), I can quite honestly say that I'm well past the point of disappointment. These days (whether I'm fishing or not), I'm pretty much just along to bait hooks and unhook fish pretty much non-stop when he's with me :dry: - a deckie in my own boat :pinch:! Wouldn't have it any other way though, as I've taught him everything he knows (but not everything I do :evil:).

Most of the time I just like been out there weting the line. I dont get angry if I dont catch anything, just abit upset if I take my boat out.Since gotta consider Cost of car fuel, Boat fuel, bait. But hey thats fishing sometimes you catch something, sometimes you dont.

i guess i get frustrated sometimes when i can't fish as well as i would like to, for various reasons. not catching a fish doesn't really irritate me but not being able to cast because of rain, to get my bait where i want it because of current, or fouling my line with weed, those things will aggravate me. also bloody crabs! i can't make that stupid cork rig work for me. any fisherman that catches fish every time he goes out doesn't go fishing enough- some days are just bunk:P

Dan23 wrote:

I'm similar to you Dee,

It doesn't bother me if I have a slow day fishing because it means I got to relax and forget about the stress of work. It get really frustrated with my mate who sometimes comes fishing with me because if he isn't catching anything within 10 minutes of wetting a line he starts complaining and stating that there are no fish and it's a waste of time. Of course then I'll catch fish and he won't so he'll want to go home. Drives me mad and is the reason I usually go fishing alone. I can fish all day without a bit and it doesn't worry me. Just makes the good catches all the better. Anyway, it's pretty rare these days that I don't catch at least one decent fish per trip which isn't bad considering I'm often land based.

yeah man its hard to find someone who realli enjoy the game of fishing. Most people who started fishing started with the wrong mentality because they are so hyped up by the ads which sells high priced fishing gear and promises that u will get some big game fish thinking that the moment they throw their line in they would get instant action like landing a 20kg barra. Usually thats what happens when i bring someone new along and he/she will starts to grumble and complain after a couple of mintues and seriously it spoils the mood for the day .

I can relate to all those comments and say that I have experienced all those emotions at one time or another. I think Dazz, Jeff and Stu nailed it.

I read in a recent magazine that people don't go fishing for any other reason then to catch a fish. I have never disagreed with a piece of sport writting more strongly then that.

Firstly, who gives that writer the permission to express how I feel when he has never met me?:P

Further if I don't go fishing my wife says I am very hard to live with and just about begs me to go (I know I have other issues), then when I get home I am a changed man - fish or no fish. It's the mental theorpy.

When I surfed I sometimes used to paddle out the back and let the waves roll on by under me just to experience the motion. Nowadays I do it in comfort and style with a drink in one hand and a rod in another. The motion feeling and getting the rhythum of the sea is the most relazing feeling I can get outher then being close to wifie.

But to answer your question - No I don't get angry if I miss out. However I do question myself and my ability.

When I come home from a fishing trip and do not have a single thing to show for my efforts it doesn't make me angry however I know that my wife will bag me out with a comment like \"Well it looks like the money we spent on the boat is giving us a great return\". This does make me more determined to try new things and one day that elusive big one will be coming home.

Archived