Mackerel showing up who's chasing them this summer ?

tugger

A brickie at work went out yesterday had a few spaniards of straddie.

Bought a couple of trolling rods and a few more lures, looking at outriggers, so I might chase them,see how i feel. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Casual on the outside, like a bottle of pop on the inside.Can't wait.

Moving house in 2 weeks so Im out up till xmas.Leave some for me. B)

i will if i can scab 2 spots as i have no boat yet and would love to show my son what we get up to.brad

would love to get onto some this season. I am not to sure how the shoulder will go with the big ones. Hey Brad I will give you a call if I am heading down over xmas. I need help getting the boat on off at present so that would work out good.

i will if i can scab 2 spots as i have no boat yet and would love to show my son what we get up to.brad

would love to get onto some this season. I am not to sure how the shoulder will go with the big ones. Hey Brad I will give you a call if I am heading down over xmas. I need help getting the boat on off at present so that would work out good.

You just catch the livies Ted and let the boys land the bigger speedsters. B)

What's people's preferred methods ? Il be out in a mates 6.1 sea hawk this summer trolling deep divers as I have no idea chasing the buggers !!

I too like trolling with hardbodies, vary the depth and the size and see how you go, Some may prefer trolling dead or live baits, but too slow for me. :blink:

I will try trolling a pillie with a pink skirt over the top, good method up north apparently.

Do you know where your mate will want to target them on the gold coast my prefered method is anchoring up on 1 of the 3 good reefs down there with livies under ballons and a spread of floating and drifting pillies back in the current. Beau have you seen my wire rig for pillies i have put up before with the bait needle to thread the rig ?

What's people's preferred methods ? Il be out in a mates 6.1 sea hawk this summer trolling deep divers as I have no idea chasing the buggers !!

thanks ted i will take you up on that.

Do you know where your mate will want to target them on the gold coast my prefered method is anchoring up on 1 of the 3 good reefs down there with livies under ballons and a spread of floating and drifting pillies back in the current. Beau have you seen my wire rig for pillies i have put up before with the bait needle to thread the rig ?

No mate must have missed it, pretty sure he will be heading out from bribie or possibly mooloolaba since he lives at cabooltur,

When anchored i use pillies with 27lb single strand wire and small black swivels to a single 4/0 big gun mustard hook and pull that through the pillie with a bait needle which i push through from the bum hole and out its mouth when you get the swivle and all the wire through you get the hook shank just inside the bum then turn the hook and tuck in its back so it wont pull through the soft bellie and drift these back into the current no sinker and have some under floats if there is very little current this is dynamite on spotties and spanairds if you put the bait far enough back for the spanairds

No mate must have missed it, pretty sure he will be heading out from bribie or possibly mooloolaba since he lives at cabooltur,

Guys with small boats shouldn't think they have to miss out. Ill be chasing them in the bay. Only have a 4m tinny but the schoolies and spotties are easily accessible in the northern bay.

My technique is pick a good spot, burley up, throw out a few ganged pillies one unweighed one with a small sinker, and throw small slugs.

giddy up mark! will definitely try to make it out there for a trip or two. depending on weather i might need a deckie tina gets a little green sometimes.

Eug we should get a small boat convoy going chasing the macks

I'd be keen for that Manni/Eug. School holidays coming up for me so hoping to get out after them quite a few times.

Any of the gold coast boys had a look at the currumbin bar recently and what the channel is like if any ?

On surf cam it looks like you hug the rock wall and go straight out towards big burleigh for your line out

Dredge is still working in the mouth of currumbin (they take it out for the weekends). I watched a few boats come back in Sat morning and most are hugging the southern rock wall as that is where the main channel is. A few came straight in along the northern rocks on the high tide but I wouldn't do it on the low tide. Hopefully the dredged channel will force the current to take the straighter route in the next couple of weeks. No swell at the moment so an easy bar to cross.

Marty

Eug we should get a small boat convoy going chasing the macks

have you crossed a bar in yours yet?

Been out past the seaway on mine but no that doesn't really count lol

Should be right on a good day ;)

Still nice to get some local knowledge/experience. Both Bri and Mark have helped me heaps with Currumbin which isn't far from the reefs. You can make the trip down from the Seaway as well, we've done Mermaid with the wanderer's before just a bit of a hike that's all.

I don't mind putting a convoy together, just making sure everyone is aware of the risks and has the required experience.

Looks workable on the currumbin bar just got to work the tides as always with these shallow bars on the creeks its so much easier going through there to get to the palmy for mackerel as its only a 2 minute run once over the bar

What do you look for mark ? In coming outgoing tide ? I'm starting to get more interested in offshore fishing as I have very little experience in that area

Cheers

At the moment we have very little swell so you dont have to worry to much about tide unless your in a small boat but with currumbin you just cant cross an hour or 2 either side of low water as there is not enough water to float the boat. If the swell is up a bit the best time for any bar crossing is on the incoming tide as the swells are going the same way as the tide and dont get as steep. Swell direction has a lot to do with the bars to so any bar like currumbin and south passage is alot easier with any southerly swell direction as the have land mass that shelters them from that direction.

Hope this helps

Looks workable on the currumbin bar just got to work the tides as always with these shallow bars on the creeks its so much easier going through there to get to the palmy for mackerel as its only a 2 minute run once over the bar

What do you look for mark ? In coming outgoing tide ? I'm starting to get more interested in offshore fishing as I have very little experience in that area

Cheers

Archived