reaching the pinical of game fishing, gold coast report

madmullet

Brad gave me a call early last week to head off the gold coast and chase marlin and wahoo on Sunday, I was keen as so I called rob up to see if he was keen, stupid question. As the week went on, and the weekend was fast approaching the weather wasn’t looking the best, so brad and his decky eddy decided to go off stradie on Friday.

I had no deckies so I gave Richard a call seeing he was always keen and my usual other decky had to work, so I put a post on f.b and Garry jumped on it pretty much straight away.

The previous night I looked and looked for my skirts and teasers everywhere, but they weren’t to be found so I opted to sit down and make some swim and skip baits for the trip. I also decided to make some teasers up also which consisted of a 200mm popper, a slug or spoon with swivel on each end so they could twist and flash at every 1m interval and a gold diving lure at the end

The boys arrived to my house at 3.30 and helped pack the boat. The plan was to meet rob at the 7/11 servo at hope island. We arrived at the servo and met rob and of we went. A short trip to paradise point boat ramp and before long we were crossing the bar at 15 knts.

We decided we would give the livie grounds a miss and head straight for the 24’s. My hopes were nearly crushed when I saw the colour of the water, a greenie brown tinge with a vis of probably 3-5m.

I laid the out riggers out and we started deploying the lures,i1 had 4 magnums and a slug being trolled shot gun next to the teasers. We trolled for approx 1 hr when I decided to get one of the skip baits out. I pulled the right hand lure in and tied the skip bait to the line and then set it back just behind the 2 wake. It was skipping nicely and my hopes grew a little.

At around the 2hr mark, as we were heading north to find cleaner water, I was the fin pop bit over 1 ½ foot out of the water. I was just staring at it as the fin approach us. I was at first puzzled as I had never seen this before. As it about 10m away I realized it was a marlin, I yelled marlin, the boys ran over to see it. As it got to the boat and had a good sticky, it lit up fluro blue and white and disappeared into the depths. The marlin was approx 8-9ft in length and over 1foot thick, this was a broot of a fish, so I decided to stick to this area and deploy another skip bait. This was cleaner water as well and with marlin in the area, we were all waiting for it. 30mins past and we were taking about the blue marlin and the left out rigger went crack and the tld20 2 speed spooled with 30lb started singing, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fish on, a small marlin was jumping and dancing for it freedom. I kept the boat going fwd while we cleared the desk of the other rods and teasers.

Deck was cleared and I was into it, fish was taking small runs and as it go to the right hand side of the boat It decided to put on a show for us, dancing across the water. 5 mins later as it was underneath the boat, I thort it was spent, but nope it put on one more show going ballistic at the the side of the boat and actually jumping head on into the side of the boat snapping its bill. It jumped that high at one stage it got caught up in the canopy at the front of the boat tangleling the line up. At the stage I yelled, gaff the beepin fish, its tangled up in some rope and Richard suck the gaff into the fish and we dragged it aboard. Hi fives were getting given and congrats all round.

We covered it with a couple wet towels as we didn’t have a big enough esky and kept trolling. I started to make another skip bait and that was it, I started burlying for the next 20 mins :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: . We trolled for another 20 after that with me looking like a sick ghost. The call was made to head back in because Richard was starting to burly as well and we didn’t want the fish to spoil.

We gat home just after 1pm, cleaned the boat and divided the fish up.

Garry cooked his marlin this way… Tonight's marlin steaks are being done in a spicy cajun and chilli rub along with some firecracker green beans and yet to be determined carrots. Tomorrow we go for a more tropical feel with marlin steaks marinated overnight in a butter, lime, worcestershire, and coconut sauce cooked over an open flame.

Richard cooked his marlin this way, cajan style with a chilli lime garlic and white wine and palm sugar reduction with a dash of cream yummmm

And ash cooked ours like this Grilled marlin with tropical salsa served with hawinwin rice salad and potato bake, a real summer dish.

Yes I know a lot of people don’t believe in keeping marlin, as a few people have stated on f.b, but, as a few people state, you always keep your first, and I tell you what, the way these guys eat, I will keep my next one as well because the are an awesome chew .

Cheers for reading

kurt

a vid will be posted later in the week

post-8878-144598886622_thumb.jpg

robs new rig

post-8878-144598886638_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598886648_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598886658_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598886668_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598886678_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598886688_thumb.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well done Kurt - Really getting jealous with all these reports of blacks. Can not wait to get into one. You must have been excited that is the most I have seen you smile in a photo. :P

lolol, ow hell yes i was over the moon. i think it is the first time i have smiled in any photo :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

i'm also getting very jealous hearing about all of these marlin being caught.

Just a question (sorry for the hijack) - is this an unusual amount being caught/hooked/seen off the SEQ coast? or does this happen every season? Is this an indication that the breeding seems to be going well up north?

juvi blacks have been rampant this season.

Ive got only 2 so far. But i dont get out much

hey shortie, where did you get them, on what bait/lures and when did you get out to target them would love to see some photos and def would love to see that report. i for one couldnt wait to post this, and seeing you caught 2, damm i would be supa happy

Well done Kurt - Really getting jealous with all these reports of blacks. Can not wait to get into one. You must have been excited that is the most I have seen you smile in a photo. :P

lolol, ow hell yes i was over the moon. i think it is the first time i have smiled in any photo :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

I think we can all tell that you're pretty happy with yourself!

I'd be super stoked as well!

Also on a side note Kurt; are those teeth marks down its side?

Just a question (sorry for the hijack) - is this an unusual amount being caught/hooked/seen off the SEQ coast? or does this happen every season? Is this an indication that the breeding seems to be going well up north?

happens every year, just a little more than usual.

I'd be keen to hear about this as well.

Also, why is generally only the smaller ones down this way?

Awesome report Kurt.

I was out there Friday and the water was very, very green. Went out to the 24s with not much about. I got a trag and same with Lance.

How was the bar on he way in? We had a choppy bar at 3PM on friday.

it got sloppy out their around 9.00. i came over the bar doing approx 15-20knts

Awesome report Kurt.

I was out there Friday and the water was very, very green. Went out to the 24s with not much about. I got a trag and same with Lance.

How was the bar on he way in? We had a choppy bar at 3PM on friday.

it got sloppy out their around 9.00. i came over the bar doing approx 15-20knts

Kool. I could only managed 10Knts. :)

yes they are, it got hit under the boat i think

and you do get bigger blacks down hear, just need to go out further. the mcoven crew got a 100+kg fish yesterday on the 50's but are not uncommon over 200kg on the 50's as well. the general boater cant get out their unless good weather. i have been out their once and it was a 1.5hr trip siting on 20mph. can just see land :sick:

juvi blacks have been rampant this season.

Ive got only 2 so far. But i dont get out much

hey shortie, where did you get them, on what bait/lures and when did you get out to target them would love to see some photos and def would love to see that report. i for one couldnt wait to post this, and seeing you caught 2, damm i would be supa happy

every bit of info helps others to get onto them, would be great to hear the report.

yes they are, it got hit under the boat i think

and you do get bigger blacks down hear, just need to go out further. the mcoven crew got a 100+kg fish yesterday on the 50's but are not uncommon over 200kg on the 50's as well. the general boater cant get out their unless good weather. i have been out their once and it was a 1.5hr trip siting on 20mph. can just see land :sick:

Those bloody sharks are quick!

They're a heap of fun to catch but when you're not chasing them you really want them to nick off!

It's good to know that there are some bigger specimens out there, a shame it's hard fishing.

Awesome Kurt you beat me to one and its your first go this season i have donuted a few times on them hooking them and losing them etc good to see you holding one up with the smile take a hack saw next time so you can fit them in the esky after you have enough photos thats what i do they eat very nicely

Awesome Kurt you beat me to one and its your first go this season i have donuted a few times on them hooking them and losing them etc good to see you holding one up with the smile take a hack saw next time so you can fit them in the esky after you have enough photos thats what i do they eat very nicely

i normally have a huge esky on board but for some odd reason, this trip i didnt take one

Kurt,

I caught mine just off south Straddy. If you Troll the coast line along the island.

I usually find there is a coral spawn line in the water about 100 mtrs off the coast. Usually along this line you will find the water temp changes slightly.

I troll pakula diamond head Skirts along there. Usually at about 5 knots. I like the lures a fair way back from the boat. I've tried using teasers but find no real difference with them in the water or not.

Have also had success on a red and white RIver to seea downsider minnow. I usually use these for Spanairdsl but have picked up a marlin on 1.

Only ever juvenile blacs in the 30 to 80kg range.

Thanks

Richard.

Kurt,

I caught mine just off south Straddy. If you Troll the coast line along the island.

I usually find there is a coral spawn line in the water about 100 mtrs off the coast. Usually along this line you will find the water temp changes slightly.

I troll pakula diamond head Skirts along there. Usually at about 5 knots. I like the lures a fair way back from the boat. I've tried using teasers but find no real difference with them in the water or not.

Have also had success on a red and white RIver to seea downsider minnow. I usually use these for Spanairdsl but have picked up a marlin on 1.

Only ever juvenile blacs in the 30 to 80kg range.

Thanks

Richard.

yeh nice.... have you got any pics mate, love to see them. i think between gary, Richard and rob, they took over 50 photos, you should have some good ones to show.... keen to look ay

Thread is now unlocked.

An interesting read. You can't ask someone to tell you their story and then have someone crucify them for telling it. :blink:

What I consider to be the nonsense posts have been removed. Any more and official warnings will be issued.

To have a friendly place you need to be friendly. :)

I'll admit for a brief moment I considered fighting Kurt for the rod - I'm only human after all :whistle:

But then, being the highly intelligent and quick thinking individual I am :silly: I considered several factors.

1. It was Kurt's boat and the skipper deserves respect.

2. It would be Kurt's first Marlin.

3. Kurt is bigger than me.

4. We were quite far from land.

5. I don't swim so well.

:evil:

So, I happily resigned myself to cheering like a madman for him and loving every minute of the entire day. Well, maybe not the ENTIRE day because Richard's face when he is about to hurl would scare a cane toad and the sound of Kurt's yakking could bring a herd of horny water buffalo from 300k away! :evil: :evil:

Thanks again for the day guys, absolutely unforgettable trip.

Archived