Offshore this weekend

nissan200mu

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went out to Boat Rock today and came back empty handed :( Tried everything but couldn't get the big bite. Several smaller species on the pillie trail only.

Saw marlin jumping and another fisho with a nice spottie. Well over a metre. Apparently taking only gold lures. I had everything but gold lol. That's fishing for ya.

First time out there. 2nd post here :) Can only get better.

Might go for the muddies tomorrow. Mate of mine caught 8 in hay's inlet last weekend.

Good fishing to u all.

Brenden

Went out to Boat Rock today and came back empty handed :( Tried everything but couldn't get the big bite. Several smaller species on the pillie trail only.

Saw marlin jumping and another fisho with a nice spottie. Well over a metre. Apparently taking only gold lures. I had everything but gold lol. That's fishing for ya.

Might go for the muddies tomorrow. Mate of mine caught 8 in hay's inlet last weekend.

Good fishing to u all.

Brenden

That's bad luck you caught nothing.

Where did you see the Marlin jumping out there.

Also was the spottie caught at Boat Rock

Thanks

Lance

Good fishing to u all.

Brenden

Mate the drift was going the wrong direction to fish well there today. With it going south you really need to be on the ball there. When she's heading E or ESE seems to be the best time

Trolled from the spit to the pin this morning. All the action was at the pin with plenty of bait around. Had a few hits from blacks on the skirts and skip baits but they were just playing with us :evil:

Gonna give it another shot tomorrow B)

Good to hear you raised some fish Rob and got them to hit a lure.

You are half way there once you start raising fish.

Now to work out why they didn't take a lure properly.

Maybe it was just the day or maybe another reason like incorrectly rigged lures,wrong hook type/shape ect or maybe just incorrect spread placement of your lures.

Hopefully it was just the fish on the day and next time will be very different.

Mark coached us at wavebreak about the drag.. Try having drag off with just the rachet on. If the drag is still ticking out increase it until it stops. once you get a hit keep feeding out a lot of line for a fair while. they shy away from a bait or skirt if they feel pressure and you need to get the hooks deep or be lucky with a hookup in the mouth.

They would just come through and give it a slap then back down again. Had 2 hit at almost the same time, one hit a bait the other hit a skirt. Not biting just wacking them. Must have been about a dozen boats trolling this same run of baitfish and no one was hooking up. Did see one boat had a flag up though.

Was thinking maybe being so overcast had something to do with it or maybe too many boats put them off? They were there but very finicky.

See you out there Bri :)

Anyone have any luck today, We went out trolling in front of the pin, but no luck at all, no fish on the radio either. Seems most people had nothing, heard of a couple of dollies out real wide.Plenty of bait around mid morning.

Gave the teasers and witchdoctor a swim, but even they did'nt raise any fish.

Mark and his son Brock and myself went to Boat Rock for another look today.

Getting the right bait today was impossible and i caught 1 nice marlin bait and everything else was way to small.

Once at Boat Rock we had a hard time with the currents but eventually we got things sorted and later in the morning around prime time I rigged the 1 and only prime bait and fed it out and we hooked up to a solid marlin in no time.

Mark fought this fish with some screaming runs from it but eventually the trace parted on his bill.

We ended up with an esky full of Moses Perch,lost a few unstoppables and I had a Black Tip around 6-7 ft up beside the boat till he bit through the mono trace.

Great day on the water but once again we were stuffed from the lack of bait.

I did see 1 marlin free jump just beside us as well.

After having not much success in fishing the river most of the weekend i decided 11pm saturday night it was time to give offshore a crack. I gave mate who bought my boat a call to see what hes doing and he told me he's going peel. I convinced him weathers too good to be staying in bay.

We left at 4am and headed out. Flat run through bay and the bar. Jigged up livies and started fishing.

All up it was a good day. Beautiful weather and the fish were biting too.

We ended up with a nice kingie, cod and few snapper.

We trolled around for few hours for nothing.

The end made up for us. We got onto some crazy unstoppables just before heading home..

1 was a big jew. My mate got a meter plus from same mark yesterday on plastics. This one i hooked on live slimie was big. Saltiga 4500 50lb braid 60lb leader had nothing on him. I got him half way up and it went down and braid hit reef.

I love chasing offshore jew. They dont know when to stop.

Next drift i went to my ocea jigger with 50lb braid 100lb leader nice big slimie. It got hit as soon as it hit bottom. I locked the spool and my mate drove boat to get him out. We fought it for good 5 minutes until it went for run and i couldnt turn it. Massive head shakes. I think it was a really big cobe. We got a 18kg from same spot last week, it went hard but we got it up. This one we had no chance.

All up it was a great day. I found some more marks wide of lookout while trolling which i know will hold good pearlies and snapper when current not ripping.

I get my boat back today finally.

Cant wait to take it offshore.

Il post photo of catch when i get home from work.

Shane

Great work man. Was wondering how you went this weekend.

Was it a bit weird being dry in a boat ;)

Man i fished river friday night and saturday for not much.

I went out yesterday in my old boat.

I get new 1 back today hopefully. Was planning on going out tomorrow but weather not looking too good atm. See what it does arvo.

It was weird seeing someone else driving old boat and me standing and holding on. My mate was driving in bay as soon as we got to bar hes like you drive.

I went to the spot we go for dollies yesterday nothing there. Did you get yours around there.

Nice dollie btw. He would have gone hard.

me and rob headed out to the pin seen a few marlin in the morning had a few come up and have a look decided to change our tactics and come up trumps. i landed a nice marlin on a swim baited gar we set back out on another troll had another one hit a swim gar but didnt connect then he decided to hit the skirt 3 times in a row all 3 times with his head out of the water but that was the end of it for us but it was a good ay blooding a new rod and reel and robs new boat

cheers nick

me and rob headed out to the pin seen a few marlin in the morning had a few come up and have a look decided to change our tactics and come up trumps. i landed a nice marlin on a swim baited gar we set back out on another troll had another one hit a swim gar but didnt connect then he decided to hit the skirt 3 times in a row all 3 times with his head out of the water but that was the end of it for us but it was a good ay blooding a new rod and reel and robs new boat

cheers nick

What day was this Nick,

cheers nick

What day was this Nick,

yesterday mate rob and i where at the grounds at around 7 and left at 11

cheers nick

What day was this Nick,

yesterday mate rob and i where at the grounds at around 7 and left at 11

Nice one, we would of past each 40 times we trolled that area from 6 till 11 in a 675f haines, from 25 to 40mtrs of water.up and down, round and round.For a donut.

we where in a cox craft rum runner 2 with a blackk strip down the side and black bimini and we trolled ranging from the dirty water line where we got most of out hits to about 40m but where only trolling the width of the mouth as thats where they seem to be holding up yesterday did you raise any mate?

we where in a cox craft rum runner 2 with a blackk strip down the side and black bimini and we trolled ranging from the dirty water line where we got most of out hits to about 40m but where only trolling the width of the mouth as thats where they seem to be holding up yesterday did you raise any mate?

Most of the bait we found in that 40 - 42 mtrs of water, Nothing at all, outriggers,teasers, witchdoctor and 5 skirts = Nothing.Try again soon.

Has Rob got a vhf radio

no he doesn't and we where the only boat in close until a few people got a look at what we had landed we got most of our hits in close of the dirt water and we where running a skirt out shout gun a gold bomber a skip bait gar and then a swim bait gar and hopefully next time aye mate and me and rob will be planning another one soon

Bri, getting a vhf soon. We saw plenty of boats out wide at 40 but decided to stay in close as we had a few enquiries even though there was no bait around. Bait from saturday must have moved out further where you were. The bait was pretty thick on Saturday and we just kept trolling around and around through it but the blacks would only whack our baits.

Archived