Plastic advice for Bass/Yellowbelly

Woggie

Hi all,

Headin home to Bundy for a week at Christmas and am very keen to hit up a few bass and yellowbelly at a fav little spot of mine on the Burnett. I have caught plenty there on X-Rap 10's and Flatz Ratz but due to the abundance of weed around at the moment, I am probably leaning towards using weedless plastics.

As I have never used plastics for bass before, I was just wondering if anyone can offer there advice on what may work for them.

Thanks in advance

Wog

Hey mate.

I'm not sure about up there, however what has been working for me is 3" gulp minnows rigged weedless or with hidden weight jigheads. I try and keep them just above the weed as well as letting them drop into the "valleys" in the weed and pretty much just use a twitching retrieve watching for the line pluck.

Favourite colour at the moment is pumpkin seed. 2" shrimp also work. Everything eats a shrimp!

Hope this helps.

Most plastics will work for Bass, but I reckon you can't go wrong with a fattish profile curl tailed grub. There are lots of brands that are good... I had a good session the other day using a natural coloured grub by 'Damiki Baits' on a pony head/rev head type jig head. I also like Atomic Ripperz and the Squidgy Pro range for Bass type grubs.

When using plastics for Bass and Golden Perch I almost always use either a Beetlespin/Jig spin attached, or a Pony head/Rev Head type jig head. Especially in murky water. I also carry a tube of metal polish paste, like what you use to polish brass. I rub this on the blades of my beetle spins and pony heads (and spinner baits) to keep them shiny, which I think helps to attract the fish. But I also then dip them in fish oil or attractant cos that stuff doesn't smell very yummy to fish!!

As far as weedless presentations go, I use a a worm hook with a pre-attached swinging ball sinker, like the 'swingin hop' hooks by 'AusSpin Lures'. I find these allow the plastic to move more naturally than other types of weedless rigs. You can achieve a similar effect by tying a small ball sinker inside a loop knot onto a worm hook (as demonstrated by 'Starlo' on his plastics videos). You can also use beetle spins with these rigs too, although they will be less weed resistant with a beetle spin. I only use a weedless presentation when I really have to, I don't think they present as naturally, and hook ups aren't as reliable or course.

Hope this helps.

-Steve.

Archived