electric motor mounting

timms01

hi guys,

i am after advice on mounting a bow mount electric on a boat with bow rails. It looks as though i would have to cut one bow rail off for the leccy to fit. the boat is a quintrex 420 busta. i have heard people say that without welding a bracket or plate onto the bow i will loose strength within the boat. Although i have seen many boats without this done. To me it just looks like all i would have to do is remove a bow rail and bolt on a quick release bracket. If any of yas have any advice i would love to hear it.

This is what the bow looks like:

post-10286-144598893829_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

That's a good way around the bow rails but in Timms01 case, the rims of the plastic anchor box will be in the way.

Could use a hole saw to cut spacers to lift the plate so it clears the rim of the anchor box.

or if it's possible, get the boat without the anchor well!!

I am about to embark on doing a similar thing with my boat to mount the 54lb electric thats been sitting on the garage floor for nearly 12 months.

Euguene has a mount on his boat which I am hoping to copy to some extent and as Shortie said it will just be a mount on top with board and plate under the deck to spread the load when its under thrust.

Perhaps Eugene can post a couple of pics of his to give you an idea (and remind me what it looked like) ;-)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, cheers for the advice guys,

sorry for the delayed reply, but i am still toying with the idea.

i have seen some people having a stern mount at the back. This would be easier because i could just put the battery behind the seat although i was wondering if a stern mount would make it harder to steer the boat. And would i get away with a 44lb thrust or would i need the 54lb. the boat is fairly light, about 4.2m with a 40hp donk on the back.

Cheers guys

OKAY!!! this guy i know, hes a genius at doing mounts and welding for all boats, give him a call, and for $300, the bow mount and the rail will be all sorted. Thick solid alloy plate with PROFESSIONAL!!!!! welding.

BUT before anything, you need the actual bow motor first, so he knows where to place it and where to drills the holes. All boats are different.

The name is Steve Shore, hes from moorooka and his number is 0416 273 351.

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!

Archived