A quiet start to 2013 at Jacobs Well, kind of.....

Twiggy

The quiet start at Jacobs Well really only describes the fishing....although I had better luck than Andrew which is possibly why I'm left to write this report ;)

We were clearly the last people to arrive at the ramp - the place was PACKED. Carpark jammed and cars with trailers up both sides of the road as far as the eye could see. I don't know, perhaps they'd been out all night?!

Our Hobies attracted the attention of some of the more lubricated locals, before we set off on the rising tide. I picked up a good size whiting within the hour, but it was the only keeper. A few small bream and another baby whiting to keep things interesting saw out the next few hours. Andrew got a 40cm flattie as far as the kayak but the fish gnawed through the leader just as Andrew was getting a closer look. Very little action otherwise.

We don't have the horsepower to travel too far at present (motor's still in repairs) so were confined to the area along Kangaroo Island. I think the tidal flows combined with today's heavy traffic restricted our chances somewhat. We will be more adventurous with your suggestions to head into the canals and further up toward the Pin once we have the means.

Happy New Year everyone!

So that's where all the boats were, Rod and I had the Coomera to ourselves until about nine then the lice started to show up. If you do head back to the pin I've paddled round to the bar itself but you really need to pick the tides so peddle/paddle with the tide one direction then time it so you get a lift back with it or its real tough going in the current there.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the tips, Mark and Ted.

As for the motor, it appears to have an electrical fault which we're trying to sort out with the manufacturer. Last time Andrew went out it stopped dead, thankfully only about 5oom from the ramp on the way home.

It happened right before Christmas so we're at the mercy of the holidays before everyone gets back on the job. Watch this space....

I Would try the last Canal to the south of Jacobs Ramp. There are usually some good fish in there.

No chance in there at the moment mate, they actually have a security guard that takes his job very serious :evil:

We had a cracker session in there a while back, then next trip well early in the morning we didnt make it past the first pontoon.

Archived