Gold Coast Barra Fail

tomca

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The closed season is for all of Qld. Doesn't matter if it's outside the fishes normal range of habitat or not. Qld is Qld.

He should get fined. Ignorance is no excuse. Plenty of other fisho's in Brisbane know that it's closed season for Barra.

cheers mate wasnt sure if it was only for certain parts of qld of all of qld

cheers nick

Irresponsible journalism reporting it seeing it is closed season the prawnbrain said that he kept it.Even if he had released it technically he still broke the law by not releasing fish immediately.( Definition of immediate is with delay taking photo is a delay)

Hope fisheries jump on him similar to the large shark caught up noosa way 2 years ago.

Cheers

Ray

The closed season is for all of Qld. Doesn't matter if it's outside the fishes normal range of habitat or not. Qld is Qld.

He should get fined. Ignorance is no excuse. Plenty of other fisho's in Brisbane know that it's closed season for Barra.

cheers mate wasnt sure if it was only for certain parts of qld of all of qld

cheers nick

the closed season applies to "east coast of Qld"

that would mean all the way to the Tweed.

Reminds me of the story of the bloke who caught "the fish of a life time" out wide of Gladstone.

What they thought was a massive cod (which would have been over size any way - 1200mm) turned out to be a Queensland Groper, but in all the excitement of landing such a big fish - it was kept and the media called.

Lost his boat, car and fined.

If they're gonna set precedents like that and the shark issue in Noosa a few years ago, they need to treat all breaches like that.

Also, since the damage has already been done I think they frame should be given to DPI for DNA testing etc.

See what(regional) sub-group of barra this and any subsequently kept (outside closed season) fish to be tested against farmed barra (don't know their background) or if they are migrating.

there is another article posted in the paper stating fisheries are now investigating the matter and looking at fining the man.

When he was asked about the possible fine - he said they can't do anything, the barra is in my belly which he then followed with they can stick the fine up.....

I can't see this ending well for the fisherman and fisheries are now under pressure to act giving the publicity !!! hopefully in the next few days he get's pinned by fisheries!!

I think his attitude will make them try harder to show him what they can do.

I like hearing the follow upto this sort of thing.

the grubs who killed a couple of pet alpaca's in Caboolture recently are off to Court next week. Hope a couple of locals pelt them with rotten tomatoes

It can be sad some times because at the time the poor guy probably had no idea about it being closed season (otherwise why would he have made it public). So in his eyes, he wasn't doing anything wrong.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be fined. You wouldn't expect to get out of a speeding fine just because you didn't realise you were speeding but it really is cases like this that the fisherman is put in the spotlight and made an example of to remind everyone else to follow the rules.

there is another article posted in the paper stating fisheries are now investigating the matter and looking at fining the man.

When he was asked about the possible fine - he said they can't do anything, the barra is in my belly which he then followed with they can stick the fine up.....

I can't see this ending well for the fisherman and fisheries are now under pressure to act giving the publicity !!! hopefully in the next few days he get's pinned by fisheries!!

with an attitude like that I hope they do write out a fine and then give it to Big Kev in the cell block D to shove it up his....

if i don't know a species, its size limits or closed season the it goes back. He is 100% guilty and excuses are BS

I do exactly the same thing.

I only said that he mustn't of been aware of the law because who does something illegal and then calls the media? Those initial comments towards the fine may or may not have been because he wasn't aware of the laws but stupidity is definitely not an excuse and I think that he will be find that out the hard way.

I don't think the dude should have been fined at all. The fish is probably from an impoundment. They are not native to down here, and it's the only thing that can explain it. Remember the post awhile back on here with the bara frames at the Logan?

Just my 2 cents...

I don't think the dude should have been fined at all. The fish is probably from an impoundment. They are not native to down here, and it's the only thing that can explain it. Remember the post awhile back on here with the bara frames at the Logan?

Just my 2 cents...

Disagree strongly.

He broke the law.

Do you also think that i can keep undersize yellas from the brisbane river because they are not native,not been stocked in the river and they are from an inpoundment.?

MY $100 worth.

Ray

Disagree strongly.

He broke the law.

Do you also think that i can keep undersize yellas from the brisbane river because they are not native,not been stocked in the river and they are from an inpoundment.?

MY $100 worth.

Ray

A non-firey debate on AFO? I'll get some stuff outta the road first, then we'll descend into chaos! ;)

I do think you should be able to keep the yellas. The fish are not native. What could the existence of the yella do to other native fish in the river? People might have thought the same about carp once?

Barra are not native. A big guy could affect the food for native fish in the river. This is my point. :)

Can I do a cheap shot now?

Wait...

Just my 2 cents...

Can you prove this?

What if these are a similar case to Threadfin?

We're seeing more and more barra being caught down in SEQ. What if they are coming in naturally? More importantly, how can you prove they're not?

There will be no chaos and no cheap shots.

I was only joking my friend. As I can see you are indeed fired up atm, I won't continue.

*backs off to his cave again*

Not fired up :P

Edit:

Sorry if you have taken my post the wrong way demarc. I certainly didn't mean to come across fired up or to offend!

Just my 2 cents...

Can you prove this?

We're seeing more and more barra being caught down in SEQ. What if they are coming in naturally? More importantly, how can you prove they're not?

The only way this will be proven is through our good old friend science. The fish have to be studied and i personally would love to hear the results of such a study.

I dont know about anyone else (im sure i can guess though) but i would be very excited to hear that the barra is naturally migrating here and could become a regular of the goldcoast!

Just my 2 cents...

Can you prove this?

The only way this will be proven is through our good old friend science. The fish have to be studied and i personally would love to hear the results of such a study.

I dont know about anyone else (im sure i can guess though) but i would be very excited to hear that the barra is naturally migrating here and could become a regular of the goldcoast!

as youngy has said a few locals have known about them for years. it only now more and more people had heard about them and are targeting them hence the increase of captures

Just my 2 cents...

Can you prove this?

i have to agree Terry. I was just about to make the statement about the threadys. The argument that they are pets let go is in my mind not correct. Way to many being caught for this to be the case. I believe that they are coming south. There have been old timers stating they have caught them years ago.

And I agree he should be fined. If you are not sure keep it alive and check on your phone. Most people have internet on their phone.

Noosa River is the southern point of the range for barra.

Commercial records for the past 100 years show good numbers of barra were in moreton bay once upon a time and were caught on a regular basis.

There is far too many barra turning up all of a suddn to be from aquariums.

My belief is these are the escapees from Lenthals most likely and possibly some from Mondy.

Those barra were born and raised their entire lives in cold water and I reckon those fish are migrating south into the cooler waters and not heading north into the much warmer waters.

From reports that I have seen they are not breeding here as the are all around the same decent size. If they were breeding then there would be a vast array of sizes from fingerlings in cast nets to juveniles to adults. This simply isn't the case unlike threadfin (which research says have been here for decades at least).

Lance could be right but I wouldn't discount the farm releases. Barra need 16 degrees before they go dormant and begin to go south (so to speak/no pun intended).

As for the act of keeping it - that deserves the fine. The bloke being persecuted by forum ragers - not worth hearing. The fish itself - probably worth about $1 as a fingerling. If removing 1 fish is devastating then hopes should never have been up for a viable fishery.....I'm sure we'll continue to hear of more catches though ;)

if there here by migration why are there not any reports of them on the sunny coast they have to swim past there to get here but who cares wether there natural or stocked lets just enjoy catching them and letting them go

collin

There has been a lot caught along the sunny coast since the floods.

Also been heaps in the Noosa catchment,Bundy,one that I know of in the Pine,Caboolture River and a few in the Brissy River right up to the barrage.

Since the floods when thousands of Barra went over certain dam walls,there has been a steady flow of captures down this way since.

These barra need to be anywhere between 95cm and 105cm before they change to females before we start to see any results from them spawning.

I am expecting to maybe see some very small juvies this year or next year in the noosa catchment as there was a few meter plus girls netted there last year so hopefully one or 2 may have got to spawn last year.

if there here by migration why are there not any reports of them on the sunny coast they have to swim past there to get here but who cares wether there natural or stocked lets just enjoy catching them and letting them go

collin

They've even been caught in Pelican waters ;)

Not wishing to hijack the thread, so I will start by saying that ignorance is no defence of the law..... so he should be fined.

But everyone here is quick to jump the guy about breaking the law, but just think twice before you take the photos of the obviously under or oversize fish for the next photo fishing comp you enter and not release the fish immediately back to the water.

Cant have it both ways people.....

Archived