Gold Coast Barra Fail

tomca

read page 11 queensland recreational fishing guide and rules ;) non indigenous fish :) do not hear any one complaining about the rules being broken for the person releasing barra not in their natural range :P if it was any thing other then barra being released illegally we would be going off about it :lol::lol:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
>http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx

/>http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/106771.aspx

In the Uk, we have to buy a rod licence, if you want to fish a lake or rivrer then you pay to do so, if you want to fish for salmon, you pay for an additional licence. Basically nothing is free, I used to be a kind of baliff on a mates carp lake, if you have not paid to fish there then you are asked to leave.

We think nothing of it about buying a rod licence for the year. Not to many things are free these days.!!!!

And if you wish to take your high end fly gear and ultra ego to a productive stretch of river to fish for salamon with personal guide expect to pay around 1800£ a day somewhere in the region of 2500$!! PER DAY

read page 11 queensland recreational fishing guide and rules ;) non indigenous fish :) do not hear any one complaining about the rules being broken for the person releasing barra not in their natural range :P if it was any thing other then barra being released illegally we would be going off about it :lol::lol:

Fish stocking tops would be in breach of this with yellow belly stocking on the East coast

Fish stocking tops would be in breach of this with yellow belly stocking on the East coast

exactly right there ted, it is strange that the fisheries approved this back in the day :)

I think you will find that under the legislation the term "non indigenous fish" refers to fish that are not native to Australia like cichlds and gold fish ect.
no it does not just mean them species, page 11 states fish indigenous to queensland but not indigenous to certain systems outside their natural range.. ;)

7 pages :whistle:

From the Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide which was available in hard copy but can easily be found online.

"Why do we have closed seasons ?"

"Closed seasons (regulated periods) prevent people from taking particular species at certain times of the year. This protects these species at vulnerable times of their life cycle, such as during spawning seasons."

Barramundi.

"Throughout the Queensland east cost, a closed season applies to Barramundi from midday 1 november to midday 1 february."

"It is also prohibited to deliberately target Barramundi for catch and release during these closed seasons, as the stress of capture may prevent a fish from spawning"

Seems pretty clear cut to me, holding it up for a photo with the accompanying handling further exasperates the effects on the fish hence the immediate release requirement in the act. These regulations were not enacted by the fun police they are the result of scientific research to ensure the sustainability of the species. "Throughout the entire queensland coast" which is the historical natural range of Barra (the stocking rule which does not allow them to be stocked south of the Mary is solely based on impoundments/small dams due to the possible low temps) Barra have no problem with esturine low temps in SEQ.

Sorry mate,

had a quick look in my fishing regs leaflet

"Throughout the Queensland east coast, a closed season applies to barramundi from midday 1 November to midday 1 February, except in and from waterways upstream of Awoonga, Burdekin Falls, Callide, Eungella, Fairbairn, Fred Haigh (Lake Monduran), Kinchant, Koombooloomba, Lenthalls, Peter Faust, Teemburra, Tinaroo and Wuruma Dams."

so i'd say between Lenthalls and the weirs below it are still closed waters.

Sorry mate,

had a quick look in my fishing regs leaflet

"Throughout the Queensland east coast, a closed season applies to barramundi from midday 1 November to midday 1 February, except in and from waterways upstream of Awoonga, Burdekin Falls, Callide, Eungella, Fairbairn, Fred Haigh (Lake Monduran), Kinchant, Koombooloomba, Lenthalls, Peter Faust, Teemburra, Tinaroo and Wuruma Dams."

so i'd say between Lenthalls and the weirs below it are still closed waters.

thanks for that Neal... looks like i'll just be chasing whiting and bream over Australia Day weekend.

7 pages :whistle:

From the Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide which was available in hard copy but can easily be found online.

"Why do we have closed seasons ?"

"Closed seasons (regulated periods) prevent people from taking particular species at certain times of the year. This protects these species at vulnerable times of their life cycle, such as during spawning seasons."

Barramundi.

"Throughout the Queensland east cost, a closed season applies to Barramundi from midday 1 november to midday 1 febuary."

You'd think they would actually use spell check before posting it online

Spelling error is mine, I can type faster than I can cut and paste.

Love all the theories on where the Barra came from, can get a box of 100 fingerlings(of the right genetics) delivered to your door on the gold coast for $100. Literally dozens of private freshwater lakes suitable for stocking who's residents are not short of a dollar :whistle:

Archived