All round white light for tight fists

tomca

I have a white divers beacon on the end of a PVC ppipe, but at night it blends in to the background lights too easily rendering me almost invisible to boats.

At Supercheap yesterday I had an epiphany and purchased a small LED flashlight and scrounged around the garage and have a new bright light for $4

An old broomstick, bit of pool noodle, empty shampoo bottle and some duct tape.

post-1039-144598906654_thumb.jpg

post-1039-144598906666_thumb.jpg

post-1039-144598906677_thumb.jpg

then trim the pool noodle down to make a snug fit in the rod holder

post-1039-144598906686_thumb.jpg

post-1039-144598906698_thumb.jpg

I made the stick just long enough to sit above my head so I can use it to light the whole top of the yak and me, so also illuminating the whole craft, and its short enough to wiggle into the hull through the centre hatch for storage after the sun comes up.

Yeah Mark, some poor excuses for anchor lights out there on some boats. The 3 AAA batteries have been going all night and its still really bright after 10 hours. I think it would suit boats as well, just need to make the mount longer so standing up won't obscure the light.

The idea was inspired by those big glowing balls they use on the highway for night roadworks, and popped into my head when I saw the little flashlights on the checkout counter next to white plastic container of wipes while shopping.

had one of those POS. The whole thing corroded up within 3 trips. Not anywhere near waterproof. And 2 D cell batteries swinging around at the end of a piece of PVC wasn't ideal either

Only use it at Anchor not underway then I dont have the problem with it swinging around or getting salt on it. :whistle:

I think after this whale lands on your boat, it won't pop up as quick as the yak did
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkL-KbHoHy0

The legal minimum requirement for night time kayaking leaves a lot to be desired, hence having to make something suitable as there really isn't anything available to buy that does a similar job and is waterproof.

Archived