Wynnum

sicott

Fished around the marina rock walls at wynnum on the high tide in the middle of the day today. Had a set rod with woolies prawn on it while my mate and I flicked plastics off the tip into the boat passage. Have been trying for about three weeks to learn SPs now and today I finally got my first hook up. I thought it was a snag but it gave me a huge fight on light gear and in the end won and broke me off just at the rocks, but I had a hook up and a 30 second fight which I'm stoked with and leaves me craving another attempt. Upon returning to the set rod which was inside the marina, it was on the ground and I reeled in a 34cm squire which was unexpected and pretty cool. No photo but we threw him back anyway. Anyone caught squire snapper around those rocks before? might have another crack tomorrow. Cheers.

quite often pick up tailor trolling out of / into the marina. Have seen squire, trevally, flatties and even a small jack caught around there. From the sounds of it you may have had a decent flattie on the line, keep going with it, took me AGES to work out plastics fishing, despite the best efforts of many to teach me!

Just a quick note - double check the regs on your set line - i think there is some rule where you must be within "X" metres of it at all times or something like that. If it is just a rod with a big bait sitting there while you flick plastics on another I doubt you will have many dramas, think the regs are mostly to stop people putting in a line and leaving it overnight, or walking away and leaving a rod in the water for hours meaning hooked fish can potentially drown etc.

Archived