A few firsts

Luvit

Giday All,

Last Wedensday & Thursday I took my eldest son 14 (Jesse) to catch his first surface bass after his younger brother was already on the board (James). We headed to Yabba creek to try our luck.

Late afternoon we hit the water and third cast I pick up my first Toga at just over 50cm. Pretty lucky the hooks stuck. Still being new to QLD fishing I could not belive how good a looking fish these toga's are close up. The pink markings through the scales were amazing to see fresh out of the water.

post-11868-14459890809_thumb.jpg

post-11868-14459890811_thumb.jpg

The afternoon was quite with the wind getting up and making things difficult. Later Jesse hooked and lost his first Toga during its first jump, then he scored his fist fish a little 5 inch spangled perch and missed another toga hit on the surface.

Just before dark I had a great hit on a small pontoon 21 lure in close to structure, but unfortunately with 4lb braid I had the drag quite firm which resulted in straighten hooks on the lure and one lost fish. :( We saw a 4 platapus which was nice and a 3 meter snake skin hanging from the trees.

Up early next morning fishing from 4.30am till 9.00am for 1 x 40cm bass with some major damage to the dorsal spines. Don't know what could have done that??? on the way back we saw our first wild dogs, looked like skinny dingoes.

post-11868-144598908116_thumb.jpg

We sat out the afternoon it was very hot. We hit the water again around 3.00pm till 6.30 with the barometer below 1000 hpa surafce was not realy an option so we opted for spinner baits. Fished the section of water we wanted and not one hit. Had a rethink and changed to jackall TN60's with a slow roll and fished the same stretch of water. I picked up 2 more bass in tough conditions with lots of wind and by this stage Jesse was over it.

All in all we had a ball however the goal was to get a surface bass for my son. Just means we have to go fishing again. :woohoo: :woohoo:

cheers

thanks for reading

Wayne

Nice few fish there mate! still waiting to get myself a toga,i have now hooked about 5 and dropped them all when they jump :( i've caught a heap of bass missing there dorsal fins, some havent got any left and others only have a few spines missing. Can anyone else shed some light on why they get the legions on there fins?

Glenn.

Nice few fish there mate! still waiting to get myself a toga,i have now hooked about 5 and dropped them all when they jump :( i've caught a heap of bass missing there dorsal fins, some havent got any left and others only have a few spines missing. Can anyone else shed some light on why they get the legions on there fins?

Glenn.

Missing fins is generally from fin rot or damage sustained going over the dam wall.

Could also be a genetic deformity.

Archived