Thready advice - sunken wall or pipeline?

kmcrosby78

Hey all (typing this for the 2nd time as I just lost it when I pressed submit so will get straight to the point),

Got 14 sandies around the river mouth today (will do a report tomorrow night - am knackered right now) with my brother (6 pots) so going to go out for a couple of hours around high tide tomorrow and chuck them in again. Was heaps of bait around the poop schute today (whereas I've found it hard to find there the last couple of times/weeks I've been there) so will get some livies and wet a line while we wait.

Trying to decide between fishing the pipeline and the sunken wall. From what I know/think I know the sunken wall is good for jewies (but I don't particularly fancy my chances of pulling a legal one in the middle of the day - happy to be proven wrong though ....) so I think threadies are our most logical target.

So ..... has anyone pulled threadies from the sunken wall? Think I've read of squire by-catch there whereas I don't think I've heard of squire from the pipeline and I certainly haven't. I've only caught catties there plus been busted off by big fish a few times.

Any advice appreciated.

very popular place in the river, try getting some livies and fish them at the drop off. I've seen footage and pictures of monster threadies and jewies being caught there at sunrise.

as always, persistence plays a big part in fishing, throw it up a little with different bait and type of rigs

The week before christmas, Me, Khoi Pham and Nguyen Bach, was out fishing, i managed to set my hook into a 82cm jewie at the Rock wall, on a Damiki Ripper with a 1/12 of a jighead. It was around 12pm, so i believe it doesnt have to be super early or super late to catch one, if you have the bait or lure in its face, it will take it. But definitely give the Damiki Ripper a go, they smell like real prawn, and they dont take much to work the lure, tiny hops is all you need.

Thanks David

hey mate, Ive caught them on lots of different times and tides, I would try the drop off near the green beacon at the poo shoot, if youve got a good sounder you'll see there are a few spots where the rock wall juts out and creates eddies, those eddies produce good threadies on lures, plastics and livies. I also use circle hooks when im live baiting, it lets you allow the fish to have a good run with the bait before giving it some drag to set the hook.

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Went and anchored near the green beacon near the sunken wall/poop schute. Probably could/should have been there an hour earlier to really maximise the slack water around high tide.

Was heaps of bait around the poop schute again but for some reason we struggled to get much in the net. Water was really flowing out of the pipes so perhaps they were getting out the bottom - they were definitely in there cause we could see them crashing into the side of the net. Got 3-4 herring and 3 20ish centimetre mullet which were bordering on what I would call too big.

My brother notice my mullet skip hurriedly past the nose of the boat which I thought was weird cause the line was pointing down into the water. Wound it up as it was getting close to the anchor rope and it had a couple of slashes out of its tail area so I'm presuming a shark attacked it.

As we were getting ready to up-anchor and go check the pots we spotted a sandcrab cruising along the surface with the outgoing tide. Up-anchored and thought we'd try to locate it, which we did and easily got it with the landing net. So had one crab before we even checked the pots.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll write a report for Wed/Thurs sometime soon.

Archived