Trolling/ boating Rules

Bri The Pom

Not sure where to look this up, whilst doing alot of trolling recentnly i often find myself heading in the path of another boat coming at me at 90 degrees, one of us must change direction, I know you muse always keep to another boats right, but who should give way, if being approached from the left or right. very difficult to change direction quickly with lures and teasers out the back.

Use their nav lights as traffic lights for you. If you can see red then you stop or change directon to avoid a collision, if you see green keep going but be predicatable.

If you see both red and green then alter to pass port to port.

If you see white then overtake on either side.

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Collision-regulations.aspx

well said booty well explained, how ever iam going to dis agree. when offshore trolling every one that is in the general area is there for the same reason and that reason is to get hooked up.Extreme care by all skippers are to be taken to avoid colision.

what eva rules you have for the broadwater goes out the door when offshore trolling.

Offshore trolling tips

#1- dont troll into the sun for various reasons like you wont get a strike trolling into the sun fish cant see the lure as well, the skipper potentially can be blinded not seing other vessels.

#2-troll anti clock wise if your going to work the area in large circles trolling. just like it is a skiers rule to ski anti clockwise.

#3- if any turns are to be made it in a anti clock wise direction.

so the offshore guidelines are if you see boats trolling anti closewise you give way and if you wish to jump in on the troll pattern you give the boats already trolling right of way.There should be no need for over taking each other as all boats trolling will be doing similar trolling speeds.

a boat trolling away from the sun has the prime advantage for there boat to get a hook up. the skipper has possitioned the vessel in such a way it increases the chance of a hook up.the skipper doesnt need the trolling path interupted and should be given a wide birth (right of way) for one reason and that is if a hook up occurs that boat will need some space to play the fish.

a boat hooked up or radio terms "FISH ON" has full right of way of the general area the fish is playing in.

if your trolling do not give way to a boat that isnt trolling,although care should be taken to avoid coliision...common sense.

Archived