Maiden voyage a success!

Rocket75

After months of sitting dormant in our garage, waiting for an engine to be matched and opportunity to arise today saw the maiden voyage for our little tinny.

With reversing skills such as mine, a nice wide boat ramp was needed, so with about 4 lanes the Cabbage Tree Creek ramp at Sandgate near the Co-Op seemed like a logical choice.

Being newbies, I waited till early afternoon to avoid the morning rush, and it was high tide so there was plenty of water to play in.

All went well with the newly aquired Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke starting striaght away.

My wife was somewhat hesitant to be in the drivers seat for the first time, but after a couple of minutes she had it under control as we made our way up amongst the moored trawlers, evading crab pots and fishing lines from the banks.

After a little cruise we decided to head back in the direction of the boat ramp, then up the estuary directly opposite it.

We found a likely looking creek mouth and anchored up to throw some soft plastics and poppers.

Today was more about testing the boat and motor out than fishing, but we spent a relaxing time listening to the birds as we tried to tempt a local flatty for about an hour or so.

After a number of strikes and follows to the boat, all I had to show was 3 tail-less plastics:angry:

Kath was getting ready to head for home, then I hear \"I've got one!\".

Little though it may have been, the boat has now been christened.

Now I know how all those \"skippers\" out there feel when the deckie outfishes them:blush: .

Final tally was one flathead to Kath, nothing for Rod.

Good news on the boat and motor, all went well. Could only open the little Yamaha up to approx 50% cause it is still running in and has yet to have it's 10 hour service, but even with this handicap, it still got the 10 footer around OK with the 2 of us aboard.

Hopefully the first of many days on the water to come.:)

[img size=336]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/fishing_049.jpg

Sounds like an awesome day out Rod, great to hear a good news story with a new motor :)! Sorry you didn't catch dinner :pinch:, but it's really good to see some young stock around - bodes really well for the future! Does the Cabbage Tree Creek ramp have a pontoon, or just a stand alone concrete ramp?

PS - I know how you feel about the bl**dy deckies out-fishing the skipper - happens to me more often than not:unsure:

Sounds like you both had a good time, being out on the water opens up so many more fishing spots than land based. I only have a 12 foot tiny but it gets me around so many places.

On the fish side things can only get better now the pressure to land the first one is over.:laugh:

Archived