What costs are fair to share with a deckie??

crazywalrus

On my recent trip to boat rock with manni and richard I stated in the going fishing fishing post how much fuel I used last time, that way people can answer the question themselves. Both Mnni and richard went out of thier way to make sure I didnt need anything else for the day, were both happy to do some running around to pick up bait and ice ext. I dont think its even an issue of money, its appreciation and also chipping in as each person is able. For example if I am bringing the boat to the boat ramp, getting it set up for the day, getting fuel... Then someone else picking up bait and ice is a real help. Splitting fuel is just what we can do to all get an opportunity to get out there,

There seems to be a big split between the people who fish the river and bay in tinnies with small motors and those who fish offshore in big rigs with larger ones.

There is a huge difference, when I used to take guys from here out in my tinnie I never charged anyone because the cost was not an issue, I could run around the river and bay all day for $30 bucks, But in my 6.1 with a V6 140 on the same ammount of running around would be closer to $200.

The post is a good one Ted although I think a few negative assumptions have been made, I have also been the deckie on big and small boats and have expierienced nothing but generosity from skippers. I see no problem whatsoever stating up front what you expect in terms of shared costs, It makes it easier and less stressful. I have taken deckie spots before and not known what was expected or how much fuel was used and have offered an ammount and not known if it was enough or too much, if I offended someone or not.

Clear communication is the key.

And as was said, if your the skipper your rules apply, if you dont want to charge deckies, you dont need to, I wont get upset with you or be opinionated about your approach, I expect the same, its not about what you do, the question is "What is fair?"

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think at the end of the day if im heading out fishing and a mate wants a trip but is short of cash -i still take him /her as i enjoy there company thats why their your m8.Boats no matter what size can be expencive to run /maintain but we as boat owners know that when we bought it so the only thing i ask people is to respect the boat -car and tackle and as the boat owner i have the final decision on weather the trip goes ahead in regards to conditions etc

i think at the end of the day if im heading out fishing and a mate wants a trip but is short of cash -i still take him /her as i enjoy there company thats why their your m8.Boats no matter what size can be expensive to run /maintain but we as boat owners know that when we bought it so the only thing i ask people is to respect the boat -car and tackle and as the boat owner i have the final decision on weather the trip goes ahead in regards to conditions etc

I have also done that going offshore with some deckys that where not in a financial situation to contribute. I have also taken junior deckies from AFO out and not required payment from them also. I never charged anything when I used the little boat.

I for one would prefer to get more people out fishing and have them contribute rather than use my boat 4 or 5 times a year. It is too great an investment to have sitting in the back yard in my opinion.

He broke the unwritten rule of Don't outfishing me. :evil:

Don't make the task impossible mate, at least someone should catch a fish. :evil: :woohoo:

I've been lucky enough to deckie for more than a few AusFish/BFO skippers and have never had an issue with money asked for. I've also had to force money onto some of the more generous souls. I want to believe that people aren't out to screw me over and that if they say it costs x to head out for a fish I want to pay my share. I've never felt that my faith in BFO/AusFishersOnliners has been miss-placed.

Although that Pussca character is a bit suss, his son Henry/Max is a champ though.

This has been a great read, I guess I am lucky as my regular deckies are overly generous and I think I come out a head, but in saying that when there are some extra dollars I stock up on gear and not just hooks and stuff there are always trolling rods and all the gear that is required for off shore work that a lot of deckies don't have. And as Mick said some trips you put some quick miles in which burns the fuel pretty quick. Best thing I put in my boat years ago was a fuel sensor, most newbies are shocked when the see that you are burning fuel at 30 L/ph and towing it runs at about 20L/ph. So a run up the coast and 5 hours at 10l/ph on the troll and 30 mins out and 30 mins back equals a 100 litres of fuel split three ways plus some ice is a cheap day out with your mates. Sometimes you even catch a fish.

whenever i take my boat its an agreed trip with someone and im the one who asked " do you want to go in the boat" .... i enjoy the co. of a good mate and only ever charge $20.... the mate generally brings lunch(cause i usually drive to pick him up) and we use lures so no need to buy bait...cast net for that if i choose to use bait........and generally if you arent financial then i know $20 doesnt generally break the bank...........and if we get beers or what ever afterwards i buy what i drink and mates can buy what they drink....its easy, i generally just want to go fishing ,,,, i live with 2 women so some mate time is always welcome hahahaha and out in the boat they cant come see us ! maybe from shore yes but they cant talk to us!

I find it strange that some people would be against paying a few bucks extra for a days fishing as a contribution to the servicing of the motor.

Fuel usage is not the only running cost of a boat every time it is used.

Every motor costs x amount per hour to run on top of the fuel and oil and if you are a believer of the user pays system well slip the skipper an extra 5 bux on top of your fuel bill.

At the end of the day,you have a cheap fishing trip with some good mates and next time you jump on that boat you know that the motor is being serviced by proper technicians which makes it safer for you in the long run.

When you make the jump to game fishing,the costs balloon massively and I think a few people on here who have never done it just do not understand what it costs.

I think we are burning around 125 liters a day on Teds boat chasing marlin so at the end of the day,if you cannot afford to pay a share of the fuel used and say an extra 5 bux for the hidden costs,go charter a boat to catch a marlin and see what you end up paying.

Not many people in this world get to pay a measly 50-60 bux and see a dozen marlin strikes in a day and be so lucky to land their first ever marlin on their first ever trip out chasing them.

I find it strange that some people would be against paying a few bucks extra for a days fishing as a contribution to the servicing of the motor.

Fuel usage is not the only running cost of a boat every time it is used.

Every motor costs x amount per hour to run on top of the fuel and oil and if you are a believer of the user pays system well slip the skipper an extra 5 bux on top of your fuel bill.

At the end of the day,you have a cheap fishing trip with some good mates and next time you jump on that boat you know that the motor is being serviced by proper technicians which makes it safer for you in the long run.

When you make the jump to game fishing,the costs balloon massively and I think a few people on here who have never done it just do not understand what it costs.

I think we are burning around 125 liters a day on Teds boat chasing marlin so at the end of the day,if you cannot afford to pay a share of the fuel used and say an extra 5 bux for the hidden costs,go charter a boat to catch a marlin and see what you end up paying.

Not many people in this world get to pay a measly 50-60 bux and see a dozen marlin strikes in a day and be so lucky to land their first ever marlin on their first ever trip out chasing them.

You're not wrong. I'd pay for all 125L and whatever the skipper asked if he promised some of that sort of action, IF I was into that sort of thing. Arms are a bit weak for that stuff. It is a bit mind blowing that a bloke could go out with someone and have a whinge etc. when he is lucky to fish in the first place.

I usually put fresh 98 octane fuel in the boat every trip. Unused fuel goes into the tow vehicle and thats the only thing the falcon was used for, towing the boat.

Its 105L I carry onboard so around the $150 mark. Reason for fresh 98 fuel every trip is a safety thing. I know its fresh and 98 will give me around 10% better range and engine runs nicer. Boat also gets serviced every 50hrs for safety.

I have only charged some people $50 as a deckie. Others are boat owners and we have done free rides on each others boat. I am going to charge more next paying deckie because of the amount of fuel the boat uses and the tow vehicle and a couple of dollars for hooks, sinkers etc.

Some deckies break a lot of gear, some loose a lot of gear, some create a lot of cleaning and work that needs to be done when you get home, some are just plain idiots.

Some are perfect as well and bring some great mojo that end up becoming good mates. I do a lot of fishing offshore by myself because I had a bad run with deckies and did find it cost less due to the fact I was carefull and didn't break and loose stuff.

Everything adds up. I can see why charters charge so much and fish the way they do. Not going to loose much on 50-80lb, not going to catch mutch either. If we were charging like a charter it would be more like a fee of $4-600 I think.

Offshore is expensive. If a master OR deckie has a figure in mind for a trip chat about it before the trip.If the deckie just wants a cheap trip and argue about it high chance they wont be out again.

I don't own a boat, i had borrowed peteh's for a couple of weeks and it was the last day i was going to have it, and a mate i hadn't seen for about a year out yesterday evening, we used to go out in his little tinny all the time. I had bait from last week that i didn't use as i canned the trip, i had just filled the tank up.

I didn't want anything from him in return, as i had already paid for everything, and he always used to take me out and get me fishing when i didn't have access to a boat.

He managed to snap my overhead rod, this thing was about 8 or so years old, had a VERY rough life and probably would have snapped from abuse the next time i loaded it up anyway.

He felt so bad about it and when we were back at the ramp wanted to give me money for the rod and fuel ( we only used less than 1/4 of a tank). I still didn't want anything from him but he wouldn't take no for an answer.

You're not wrong. I'd pay for all 125L and whatever the skipper asked if he promised some of that sort of action, IF I was into that sort of thing. Arms are a bit weak for that stuff. It is a bit mind blowing that a bloke could go out with someone and have a whinge etc. when he is lucky to fish in the first place.

This is a great topic. In my eyes, fair is coming to an agreed amount (if money for fuel etc is needed) before the trip. If I am going out on someone's boat, it's not just peterol, it's the chance that I usually don't get to catch fish. Which is priceless.

If your postin a decky spot, be clear with what you expect a decky to do or provide...money, food, tackle, beer whatever it may be. Rather than being a financial transaction, it's just good old common sense.

If your a generous decky, chances are you will be invited again!

I have always been up front about costs when i offer deckie spots as i like to split boat fuel and bait costs evenly with me and my deckies and that in turn goes for the catch we bring home is devided evenly no matter who has caught it in my boat. So if you outline these things you want from a deckie early when asking them along there is no problem if they want to chip in a little extra for other expenses that is their choice I dont ask for it.

The costs of running a boat is expensive safety gear updated, repaires on trailers and boats, servicing, replacing tackle and the list goes on and the bigger your boat and the further you go out the more the expense. So for guys with families and morgages or rent I know how the wives would be if you never asked for money to cover your deckies fun in your boat I think most of us know how that goes so I just answering honestly to the question raised here.

I generally take my deckie free of charge

without a deckie it's nearly impossible for me to get the boat in the water and retrieve it

I have a couple of regular deckies who come with me and more often than not they either chip in or fully share the costs, even when i tell them no need, their labor is payment enough

it's all about me being able to get out fishing and it would cost me the same if a deckie came with me or not

they even clean the boat when we get back home as well :woohoo:

as long as i have deckies who want to come fishing with me i;m going to be happy as a pig in the proverbial :P:P:P:P :woohoo:

I miss the old days where fuel didn't go stale :pinch:

My boat was always full of fuel and @ the beginning of a trip so was the car :) bait cost was split and unless otherwise needed tackle was your own responsibility (always had heaps to spare :P ) But @ the end of a day /night fishing both boat and car were refuelled ready for another trip and the cost was split .

The majority of deckies had no issues as they knew that's what it cost

every thing was above board and as said cost can go from a few bucks for a bay trip to a lot for an outside trip

Unfortunately now days fuel goes stale so keeping tanks full is not an option so it make fuel costs hard to calculate my boat can carry 200 lt's and most of my trips will be offshore fuel used will largely depend on the fishing We might be lucky and have a close reef firing or you may need to do a lot of travel to find fish it's the luck of the draw :unsure:

the hard part nowadays is how much fuel to put in I refuse to keep my tank full unless it is going to be used

so basically what I'm saying is no trip can be calculated nowdays

and it is hard to say how much fuel you used where the old days it was easy full fuel going out full fuel when @ home

Gaz

fuel flow sensors fix that problem

HDS or mdern sounds have the ability to connect a fuel flow sensor.

yep i got digital fuel flow monitoring,acurate to the millilitre.its too easy working out fuel costs

you can get digital and analog, analog is a bit bulky same as your water meter in ya front yard only made fuel resist. QLD diesel spares can get them in they have diesel anolog/digital ones in stock but have to do a special order for the fuel ones.

you can also get these awesome gauges that monitor you speed and fuel and they calculate the most efficient rpm to travel at. The gauge illuminates red when the engines exceeds the optimum fuel efficiency and stays on green when your running at its best

fuel flow sensors fix that problem

HDS or mdern sounds have the ability to connect a fuel flow sensor.

yep i got digital fuel flow monitoring,acurate to the millilitre.its too easy working out fuel costs

you can get digital and analog, analog is a bit bulky same as your water meter in ya front yard only made fuel resist. QLD diesel spares can get them in they have diesel anolog/digital ones in stock but have to do a special order for the fuel ones.

you can also get these awesome gauges that monitor you speed and fuel and they calculate the most efficient rpm to travel at. The gauge illuminates red when the engines exceeds the optimum fuel efficiency and stays on green when your running at its best

Hope i passed your strict decky tests mick?

"you can also get these awesome gauges that monitor you speed and fuel and they calculate the most efficient rpm to travel at. The gauge illuminates red when the engines exceeds the optimum fuel efficiency and stays on green when your running at its best"

I had one of these in my 1953 ford prefect it was called a vacuum gauge :blush: The more you put ypur foot down the less vacuum in the intake manifold so the guage was forever in the red unless you took your foot off going down a hill.

Cheers

Ray

usually i go with a couple of mates. one mate buys Beer and bait he's a plumber / builder. The other one supplies food (not just chips and dip) proper food (He's a baker) so we get the good stuff. And i get to keep most of the fish and what ever is left over and on some occasions they throw me some money. the way i see it is they help me out when i need it.

plumbers aint cheap these days.

It all works out even in the end

It is an interesting subject. My own experience is that non boaters are sometimes ignorant of the costs that one incurs owning a boat.

I had one example with a member of this site who I picked up at the boat ramp, went fishing and dropped them back as they had an appointment.

That certain member sent me a pretty rude text complaining about giving me $20 and paying for some bait.

Seeing that I picked them up and dropped them off and then they did not have to clean the boat etc I found this very on the nose.

I agree pretty much with the majority go halves and a bit more in recognition of the "hidden" costs

All depends on where and what your wanting to do

Local fish 2 deckies I usually charge 30-40 each

Trolling or reef fishing70-80 each and go thirds in bait

If domeone contacts me and says they want to go fishing, then they pay 75% of the cost because its not a decky spot wanted case

You look at a trolling trip off strady

Fuel for the car $50.00min

Fuel for the boat $160.00 min

Oil for the boat $15.00 min

Bait. $40.00 min

$265.00 min

Expensive day

And then their is the loss of tackle ect

WHOA!!!! Man, what outboard are you running? we have a 5.7m Quintrex Spirit with a yamaha 150hp 4 stroke, run it all day! troll and travelling at WOT, and it costs us $70 MAX for the day!!! $160 is NUTS!!!!

If domeone contacts me and says they want to go fishing, then they pay 75% of the cost because its not a decky spot wanted case

Bait. $40.00 min

$265.00 min

Expensive day

WHOA!!!! Man, what outboard are you running? we have a 5.7m Quintrex Spirit with a yamaha 150hp 4 stroke, run it all day! troll and travelling at WOT, and it costs us $70

MAX for the day!!! $160 is NUTS!!!!

Would love to deckie for you if it only cost $70 to run all day.

Is this in the bay or offshore

My 140 suzuki on a 5.8 platey takes about 70-80 liters to go off straddie leave it running all day keep backing on spots. Fish the fads boat rock sevens troll around most day

This is me driving normal in the bay going and coming back.

My mates got a 150hp yamaha 4 stroke on a 6meter yalta and his is about same for same trip.

I

Bait. $40.00 min

$265.00 min

Expensive day

WHOA!!!! Man, what outboard are you running? we have a 5.7m Quintrex Spirit with a yamaha 150hp 4 stroke, run it all day! troll and travelling at WOT, and it costs us $70

My 140 suzuki on a 5.8 platey takes about 70-80 liters to go off straddie leave it running all day keep backing on spots. Fish the fads boat rock sevens troll around most day

My mates got a 150hp yamaha 4 stroke on a 6meter yalta and his is about same for same trip.

I

In the bay and offshore, never have we had to pay more then $70 for fuel. To be honest, Dad never asked anyone to pay for anything, just bring your own rod and reel, thats about it, as long as you have a happy face was all that matters, even on my small boats, i take mates out, i like to know that i can afford it all, and if mates wanna help pay for fuel, im open to spilt, apart from that, i dont go fishing, if i cant afford to go out at all. thats me shane, but yeah, the 5.7 Spirit, is only 4mm bottom and 3mm side, maybe theres a big gap in weight? but we have own the quintrex from day one it was made. Its never costed us soo much to run. Only the service is, close to $700

I personally don't expect much from a deckie. I don't charge them, or expect them to wash the boat IF I take them out. But I do expect them to respect my boat and a big no no with me is giving my spots out or taking loads of people to them which flog them n show more people!! (fair enough if it's a well known spot but somewhere they've never fished before definately ticks me off) Have taken a number of people out only to fish the same spots the week after and they're there with someone elses boat and a few other anglers.

You will find that Kurts boat is not a modern 2 stroke. It a 250hp pushing around a fibreglass boat. You really can not compare a light weight boat with a modern 4 stroke to it.

I think your fuel costs may be a little understated but each to their own. I have a 90hp on a 5.5 plate boat. A normal trip to boat rock a run out to wave rider and drifts usually take between 40 to 50 litres. When I troll for 12 to 14 hours it uses 100 to 120 litres. I only use premium 98 fuel @ $1.55/l

You will find that Kurts boat is not a modern 2 stroke. It a 250hp pushing around a fibreglass boat. You really can not compare a light weight boat with a modern 4 stroke to it.

I think your fuel costs may be a little understated but each to their own. I have a 90hp on a 5.5 plate boat. A normal trip to boat rock a run out to wave rider and drifts usually take between 40 to 50 litres. When I troll for 12 to 14 hours it uses 100 to 120 litres. I only use premium 98 fuel @ $1.55/l

Yeah that whys i asked what outboard is he running, but like even with my uncles boat, he use to have a 7m Plated Yellowfin boat, with a Yamaha 200hp 4 Stroke. its one hell of a boat, and still didnt run through that much fuel. I guess it all comes down to what outboard, how much you take on board, how heavy your boat is hey.

Because both, my dad and my uncle, use to travel across to tangalooma for the da quite ofteny. The next trip after that, filling up with fuel pouring out the air holes, and its never cost us more then $60, or else a day driving around trolling for mackerel, picking up crab pots, moving to different location, have yet to exceed up to $160 as minimum for either boats. But as you just said, 12 to 14 hrs is abit longer then a day fishing for me, i spend roughly 7 to 9hrs and im back in, ready for another days at work.

But then again, a 2 stroke will always chew much more then a 4 stroke.

Bait. $40.00 min

$265.00 min

Expensive day

I

In the bay and offshore, never have we had to pay more then $70 for fuel. To be honest, Dad never asked anyone to pay for anything, just bring your own rod and reel, thats about it, as long as you have a happy face was all that matters, even on my small boats, i take mates out, i like to know that i can afford it all, and if mates wanna help pay for fuel, im open to spilt, apart from that, i dont go fishing, if i cant afford to go out at all. thats me shane, but yeah, the 5.7 Spirit, is only 4mm bottom and 3mm side, maybe theres a big gap in weight? but we have own the quintrex from day one it was made. Its never costed us soo much to run. Only the service is, close to $700

Off shore where? Out of GC

We are talking about off straddie area.

My boat uses jack all fuel if i go beacons n fish bay or even GC. Theres not much travelling invovled.

Same as me when i go out with my dad or any of my uncles. I dont have to pay for fuel nor bait. They even bring food and drinks. All they do is use my gear ( which in long run i think is costing me more, with amount of tackle they loose).

Each boat is different. You cant just think oh i paid this much with him when i went why are you asking for more.

My deckies are normally good coz we all close mates. They see how much goes in owning boat and ndver complain to pay up.

But...

I have had few people ask me couple times. They never got offered spot again.

Go on charter if you want to offshore or with certain person who you only have to pay certain amount with.

Bait. $40.00 min

$265.00 min

Expensive day

I

Off shore where? Out of GC

We are talking about off straddie area.

My boat uses jack all fuel if i go beacons n fish bay or even GC. Theres not much travelling invovled.

Same as me when i go out with my dad or any of my uncles. I dont have to pay for fuel nor bait. They even bring food and drinks. All they do is use my gear ( which in long run i think is costing me more, with amount of tackle they loose).

Each boat is different. You cant just think oh i paid this much with him when i went why are you asking for more.

My deckies are normally good coz we all close mates. They see how much goes in owning boat and ndver complain to pay up.

But...

I have had few people ask me couple times. They never got offered spot again.

Go on charter if you want to offshore or with certain person who you only have to pay certain amount with.

Shane i think you got me wrong here, i was more concern as to why he uses up soo much fuel and what outboard hes running. Not that im having a go at him for charging people this much. Money has never been an issue for me, i understand why people help, because every dollar isnt easy to make.

But hey, on my side of view, i just wanted to say my opinion on our boats we have here in our yard, not that im saying "im not gonna pay that much if i go out with you". Is that kinda clear to you? as for decky spots, ive not yet been on someones else boat but myself and my families, so i yet to know what it like.

as for offshore, we jump the bar at currumbin, and we head out to our snapper grounds, off the top of my head. i cant remember the distances or else outside of tweed, trolling for GT. So dont get me wrong here, im not having a go at anyone, im more curious as to why it costs him that much.

Bar crossings and rough weather chew the juice. The bar crossing course we chewed 260L, thats on 6.8m? cruisecraft and wasn't a whole day. Comparing a few mates boats some use twice as much fuel because they are two strokes. Others chew more because they are glass and drive them harder. Some the only boats that could catch them are skeeters. Lots of factors.

I do know one massive beast out there with a massive Merc 300 and heard all he has to do is change the oily rag each trip ;)

Archived