Sign in to follow this  
Glenn S

Jungle Perch in an aquarium?

Gday all, ive always wanted a jack in my tank but recently have found a liking for jungle perch! ive seen a few videos online of others keeping them, would i have to order one in from an aquarium shop? i have had Aussie bass in my tank for 2 years now and i assume they will be fairly similar to them feeding wise, so has anyone had any experience keeping them etc?

Thanks in advance

Glenn.

You'd be very lucky to find little ones in an aquarium shop as at present, as far as I'm aware, no one has successfully raised fingerlings.

Bribie Island fisheries research is trying to do so but have not been able to get the larvae to eat once the yolk has been absorbed.

I'd be suspicious that any little ones in an aquarium shop might be wild caught and you'd risking breaking the minimum size limits.

Much like keeping bass but you'd have to have lids on the tank as they're happy to jump after insects!!

Well technically you'd only be breaking the size limits if the fish was over 35cm and wild caught, only size listed for JP's is 35cm max. I'd still think twice before taking a JP from the wild though especially if you managed to find some in a stream down this way.

You'd be very lucky to find little ones in an aquarium shop as at present, as far as I'm aware, no one has successfully raised fingerlings.

Bribie Island fisheries research is trying to do so but have not been able to get the larvae to eat once the yolk has been absorbed.

I'd be suspicious that any little ones in an aquarium shop might be wild caught and you'd risking breaking the minimum size limits.

Much like keeping bass but you'd have to have lids on the tank as they're happy to jump after insects!!

Couple of people have have have got past day 6

[attachment=60383]IMGP0019.JPG[/attachment]

:woohoo: that's great news.

hmmm sounds like a hard to come by fish! that's great they have got the fingerlings to start feeding, i might just have to stick to old the old red dog for now!

Please login or register to view this image
Cheers for responses!

Glenn