Sign in to follow this  
shortie

Wivanhoe floodgates

I know nothing of the substance behind it other than we need water to survive. But wouldn't it be possible and or make sense to have the gate open slightly all the time so basically its dumping the same amount of water out that is coming in within reason.

Monitor it daily, weekly, fortnightly or whatever and adjust so the level stays around the magical 70 80 90% or whatever they choose.

WOOOOOHOOOOO :woohoo: good on them the river needed a flush out to get rid of that dam water hyacinth its a pest weed that smothers the water chokes up the water ways

It will stock the bass levels up again in the river the bigger ones were starting to thin out. :woohoo: more live bait for the bullies :woohoo: :woohoo:

Please login or register to view this image
i cant wait for the action

100% really means 60% of the total it can hold. That 40% on top of the "full" level is meant for flood mitigation. If it starts creeping above 110% releases would make more sense.

Knee jerk reaction to their monumental stuff up of trying to keep the dam full last time. They saw the $$ the water was worth as opposed to the real purpose the dam was built for

there was just a news bulliten.

Brisbane will flood again going by current modelling

2011 flodds reaches 19 ish mtres

current modelleing worse case says this ytear 15 ish mtrs

And that is without wivanhoe being let out.

bremer and lockyer flooding will cause Brisbane river to flood.

maybe they will come to their senses about the 2011 floods and realise it was unavoidable and stop trying to blame someone.

there was just a news bulliten.

Brisbane will flood again going by current modelling

2011 flodds reaches 19 ish mtres

current modelleing worse case says this ytear 15 ish mtrs

And that is without wivanhoe being let out.

bremer and lockyer flooding will cause Brisbane river to flood.

maybe they will come to their senses about the 2011 floods and realise it was unavoidable and stop trying to blame someone.

But shortie that's common sence, no one on either party posses that mythical power

Got a text from ant

He lives

Less than 100 mtrs away

Do you have power he asks

Lol

I have plenty of power do you want me

To run an ext cord

Whilst I'm sitting watching a movie being run from the generator

My house is lit up like a Xmas tree

Have had 3 neighbors knock on the door so far

Got a text from ant

He lives

Less than 100 mtrs away

Do you have power he asks

Lol

I have plenty of power do you want me

To run an ext cord

Whilst I'm sitting watching a movie being run from the generator

My house is lit up like a Xmas tree

Have had 3 neighbors knock on the door so far

You forgot turning on the aircon too as you were talking to me while recharging your phone ;-)

some pics we took yesterday at colleges crossing

the sign says it all

[attachment=60509]collegescrossing.jpg[/attachment]

this one is taken from the top of the hill

[attachment=60510]27.01.13045.jpg[/attachment]

i was told a couple hours after the pics were taken the gasebo on the left is now under but im not 100% sure

there all under now
Please login or register to view this image
al

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By jammin
      I have been crabbing every day in Scarborough. Off the jetty you can go out to the mangroves. I don't know what the area is called but you go under the main bridge connecting Scarborugh to Brissie.
      Anyway, we've dropped 6 pots 3 days in a row and literally caught nothing. We caught an eel, some toadies, two crabs that we had to throw back and we use to pull a few decent size crabs per pot. Our pots haven't changed, our bait is the same, but we are getting nothing. 
      Is crabbing seasonal? Are areas suddenly been totally fished out? It's only a difference of a few months though since we last went out. 
      Any tips? 
    • By CreativeHermit
      Hey All, 

I hope you are all well! I am new to this site and thought I would join some sort of forum to learn more about fishing etc.

Recently I got my first boat and started doing some off-shore fishing in Hexham NSW. I've been catching about six stingrays a day when I go fishing, I don't know much about them so just been throwing them back. So I have a few questions:

1. What is the legal size and limit for Stingrays in NSW? I checked DPI but it didn't have them listed: 
      Please login or register to view this content

2. I know that the ray has four pads of meat (two top and two bottom), but there is a lot of waste... Do you have any recommendations on what to do with the rest of the ray?

3. Is ray a good bait for crabbing? If it is, would the scraps work (Bones, body and head)?

4. Since I have never caught one to keep before what methods do you recommend when it comes to killing? I was thinking:
      - Hook Ray
      - Net Ray - Use bolt cutters and cut the rays tail off (throw tail away)
      - Kill Ray (need to learn best method for this)

Of course, if Ray isn't legal to keep I won't and it also seems worth keeping if its a big ray. I would rather not catch them if we have to waste the rest of the ray for the amount of meat. But since I go crabbing, if I can use the scraps for crabbing then I think that should be okay.

Any tips, advise and the rest would be wonderful.

Thanks,
      Mark.D
    • By Drop Bear
      I hate it when I get my pots raided. I don't do it so don't want others to do it.
      I am glad that this person got caught.

• By Angus
      This was one from just last weekend...
      So since last December I have put a bit of effort into crabbing around the bayside and Northern NSW when visiting in laws. In my years I have been known to throw a pot or two in the water but it has always been something on the periphery of fishing rather than any sort of dedicated process. While I had a bit of time (ha) on paternity leave I decided to change this and spend some time really focusing on crabs.
      So my previous “ha” was in relation to finding I had far less time than I thought I would. Tanya is actually brilliant but the fact of the matter is I like spending time with the wee lad and have scaled back the extent of my weekend missions accordingly. So with short windows on offer I really focussed on land based bayside missions. I knew this would be a challenge as logic would dictate that easily accessed locations be over fished. Well logic has a funny way of being to obvious and I was to learn that there were many overlooked nooks and crannies right under my nose.

On finding them…
      Google maps have been a big asset in my searches and I have combed every possible access point where one can pull up in a car, bash through some mangroves and set the pots. One thing in regard to overlooking certain areas is I suggest giving anywhere a crack. One of the biggest crabs I caught for the campaign was right a the bottom of my street in a very unassuming little trickly of a creek.
      Some decent crab sign... Under an urban bridge...

Finding signs of crabs has become a real focus for me and an extra 5-10 minutes looking for holes goes a long way. Now of course there are probably countless holes under overhanging banks etc that are not easily seen but my thought process with crabbing in line up as many aces as you can. It is not like lure fishing where you just move… Once a pot is in overnight you have very little control from that point so you might as well maximize chances early. The less foot prints in the mud the better as well.

Flats can also be as good as creeks. Standing permanent water seems appealing but I have had some success walking pots out onto mangrove covered flats at low and leaving for an overnight high. They are not that likely to be raided as it is pretty hard and easily hidden on low lying mangrove plants. The crabs obviously come out over night, crawl in and are waiting in the morning. I try to set my pots late in the evening and retrieve early to ensure my efforts are not noticed and so the crab doesn’t suffer high and dry longer than needed.  
      On baits…
      Mullet has been a top bait for me but can start adding up putting a fresh mullet in each pot each day. Salmon heads are a new favourite and a fraction of the cost at a lot of seafood markets. Also during fishing adventures down in NSW whiting and bream frames work just fine. Most importantly setting them well in the pot I think is critical. To be honest the first few times (and certainly in the past) when I set my pots I was sometimes guilty of just throwing bait in.

Quite a few times I can back to baitless pots with no crabs. You can theorize as to what did this all day long from little bream to crabs eating the baits from the outside… But the point is you do not know. This comes back to maximising your chance during the times you have control. I now fix my baits on the bottom of the pots with bits of wire or zip ties (if the pots no longer have their own contraption for this).
      On kayaking…
      I have found kayaking pots into hard to reach places an awesome option. So many sweet crabbing creeks are inaccessible from the bank due to thick vegetation and also inaccessible to boats due to being way to narrow. It is fiddly but worth taking the kayak option.

Advice is to not overload as it is far more effort than worth. 2 pots is currently my preference. Also when setting, do so near some sort of bank you can get out on if needed. This will help set the pot, but is critical if you have crabs to get out, or baits to reset. A hessian bag is an awesome option as well as the crabs stay pretty quiet once you get them in and is far more practical in a kayak than a bucket or whatever.

On cooking…

I keep meaning to try new ways but to be honest… Mud crab, white bread and nice butter is very very hard to beat. My neighbours scored a crab off me they did an amazing pasta with but I have been loathe to complicate them to much yet. I have researched chilli crab etc and it looks amazing… But I think I need a serious surplus before I am trying this!

When boiling I often put them to sleep in the freezer first. Not only does ease the conscious a little, I find a fresh crab dropped straight into boiling water loses its legs very easily. A simple time frame I read once and has worked every time is to bring the water to the boil, put the crab in, wait 20 minutes and your good.

On Identification...
      So obviously you cannot keep females in QLD but you can in NSW. They are easily told apart in any case. The claws are quite different but the easiest way is the flap under the body. The males is narrower while the females covers nearly the whole body...
      MALE

FEMALE

Anyway this report is in no way designed to sound like an expert rather to share my own learning curve.

Please login or register to view this attachment I look forward to learning more as I go!
      Cheers.
      Angus
    • By Joel4178
      Hi all,
      is anyone willing to introduce me to Moreton Bay fishing spots? 
      Ive just bought my first boat and would like some advice to get going, fishing and crabbing around the bay. 

Im based in Wynnum and have bought a cruise craft now rider. 

Please login or register to view this attachment
  • Latest Topics

• Donate

Please donate to support AFO. We appreciate all donations!

Thanks
  • Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

• Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links