Wheel Bearing Maintenance

Feral

Ok was all set to photo all the steps involved in changing my wheel bearings on the trailer, but when I set out all the tools, I discovered the tool box with my brass drifts was in the back of the Camry, which my wife had taken out for the day! :angry:

As I was all set to go, I did them anyway, I just wont show the photo's of how I got the seats out of the hub! :whistle:

Thats probably a bit past the skill level of a beginner anyway!

First Step. sort out all the tools your going to need (and in my case curse missus for having tools I need in car at her mates place!)

Tools I used.

10inch shifter

Needle nose pliers

Side Cutting pliers (just in case you need to cut away split pin)

Trolley Jack

Car Stand

piece of soft pine or similar

Bucket

Turps (my choice of cleaning solvent)

Bucket

cleaning brush

Gloves

Marine Bearing Kit

Hammer

Marine grade grease

wheel brace

old flat blade screwdriver (those plastic covered ones they put in the kit are just the right size)

P1080310.jpg

First up, Put jack under axle, axle stand under suitable part of trailer frame.

Loosen each wheel nut half to one turn

Jack trailer up high enough for tyre to clear the ground, put axle stand in place and adjust, slowly release jack until trailer rests on axle stand. I like to leave a little weight on the jack, as you need to push and shove a bit on the axle and it holds it still. Remove wheel.

P1080314.jpg

P1080316.jpg

Using the old screw driver and the hammer remove the dust cover of the bearing. Just put the blade in dip between the cover and the hub, and tap gently, rotating the hub a little after each tap. When it is loose, pull it off.

P1080319.jpg

P1080323.jpg

Bend split pin straight with needle nose pliers. Grip head of split pin firmly with pliers, pull split pin out.

Bang gently on hand holding pliers if necessary to shock it out.

P1080325.jpg

P1080328.jpg

undo castellated nut with shifter.

P1080329.jpg

Pull off bearing retaining washer

P1080330.jpg

Gently pull hub off axle. keep clear of the hub, as greasy dirty bearings may just drop in your lap!

P1080332.jpg

Use screw driver to gently tap out rear bearing seal.

P1080336.jpg

remove bearings and inspect.

P1080337.jpg

Grease should be clean, and not milky - milky indicates water has entered hub, and emulsified the grease, which can lead to wheel bearing failure. The grease on the bearings in the photo still looks ok, but the grease on the cleaning brush is definately milky, in this case these hubs came from an ordinary trailer when I built the boat trailer, and were quite old. Obviously even though I repacked the bearings, the rear seal was not up to keeping water out.

P1080345.jpg

Thoroughly clean the hub, and inspect the bearing seats for signs of wear or damage. If the seats look to be in good nick, you can leave them in place, and fit the new bearings as is. (Yes the purists are spluttering at this stage, but the fact is removing the old seats is a tricky job for someone not used to it, and failure to bed the new seats correctly, or damage caused to them whilst installing is a real possibility).

P1080351.jpg

If the seats are worn or damaged, they are removed by gently tapping them from behind using a brass or other soft metal drift. (So as to not scratch the hub). These are a force fit and take a little bit of work to get them out.

Using a suitable drift through the hub, gently tap on the back of the seat from behind to remove (rotating and tapping until it works its way out.) First photo shows area you need to tap on from behind.

P1080395.jpg

Bearing seat almost out

P1080392.jpg

Bearing seat removed

P1080393.jpg

If you remove one bearing seat, remove and replace them both.

Bearing kit, showing new bearings,rear bearing seat (front bearing is sitting in seat, making it hard to see) and rear seal. Note the size of the marine style rear seal, it is much thicker and larger than a normal rear seal.

P1080444.jpg

Place hub on flat surface, place new seat gently in hub, thicker side down (this is very important, other wise you will have remove it again) Put piece of softwood over the seat, then gently tap with a hammer until the seat is flush into the hub. Go gently, try to keep it as even as possible.

P1080445.jpg

P1080447.jpg

Then gently tap around the edge of the seat using a brass drift or similar until the bearing seat is fully home against the flange in the hub. Repeat for the other bearing seat. Try to go down as evenly as possible.

Get a good dollop of grease and put it on the outside of your palm.

P1080477.jpg

P1080479.jpg

Grab the bearing in the other hand. The idea is to push the bearings bigger side down onto the grease, but just the edge onto the edge of the dollop.

This forces the grease into the bearing. keep rotating the bearing in your hand, pressing down onto the grease until all the grease has been pushed into the bearing. Rotate the bearing gently, and check for the amount of grease showing in the small side. if none there, using another (smaller) dollop of grease push grease into the small side in the same way.

Repeat for the other bearing.

P1080480.jpg

P1080481.jpg

P1080482.jpg

P1080483.jpg

P1080484.jpg

P1080493.jpg

P1080496.jpg

Gently smear a small amount of grease into the rear of the hub, making sure you coat as much metal as you can.

P1080503.jpg

gently place bearing in hub

P1080504.jpg

place the rear seal onto the hub. The mostly metal side goes in.

this side goes out

P1080506.jpg

this side goes in!

P1080507.jpg

P1080508.jpg

Gently place the piece of soft wood over the seal, and gently tap until the seal is fully bedded.

P1080510.jpg

P1080513.jpg

Turn hub over, and grease any internal parts not already covered in grease.

P1080514.jpg

Place bearing in hub.

P1080528.jpg

Clean the axle of all old grease and dirt

P1080535.jpg

Wipe fresh grease all over axle where hub will cover it. Gently pick up hub, making sure front bearing does not fall out and slide onto axle. Using fingers to push front bearing in at the same time. Note it takes some pushing, the big marine seal offers a fair bit of resistance.

P1080539.jpg

P1080541.jpg

Put on bearing retaining washer

P1080543.jpg

Put on the castellated nut. Tighten nut by hand only. When it is fully hand tightened, using the shifter gently turn it slightly tighter if necessary to line up the split pin hole in the axle with one on the recesses in the nut. Tighten no more than that! Do not loosen it to line up a hole.

P1080544.jpg

P1080546.jpg

P1080548.jpg

Push split pin through hole and nut (be careful of grease coming out of hole)

P1080552.jpg

Make sure the pin is aligned so the ends can easily bend around the nut, using the needle nose pliers, gently bend the longer leg around the nut. repeat for the shorter leg, around the other side of the nut. Make sure the legs are close to the nut, the dust cover has to fit over the top.

P1080554.jpg

P1080555.jpg

P1080557.jpg

Get a dollop of grease, and grease around the nut and axle end.

P1080560.jpg

As this is a non galvanized hub in a marine environment, I then grease the entire hub outside (including wheel studs)to protect it from the salt water. A galvanized hub, or hub that is not on a boat trailer does not need this.

P1080561.jpg

P1080566.jpg

Fit the dust cover over the bearing end, and gently tap into place with the hammer handle.

P1080568.jpg

P1080570.jpg

refit the wheel

P1080573.jpg

When finished, if you have small children or pets around likely to be around the trailer, you may wish to wipe any excess grease on the small part of the hub that is exposed when the wheel is fitted.

P1080589.jpg

Note the wheel will be quite firm to rotate, due to the marine seal. Much firmer than a normal trailer wheel!

Also note, try and use a marine grade grease that actually says it is resistant to water infiltration! Also do not mix different types of grease in the one hub, they can actually react with each other causing failure. If you decide the existing bearings are good, and you just need to repack them, unless you are absolutely sure you are using the same grease that was originally used, wash the bearings and hubs clean, dry them out thoroughly, then repack with grease.

P1080532.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/09/08 14:40

When O do mine I always clean and polish the inner seal surface with emery. The main cause of bearing failure is due tio the inner seal failing.

If the surface that the seal sits on has a wear groove or rust pits it wi9ll pay to fit a stainless speedy seal.

They are not cheap but a lot cheaper than a new axle or leaving the missus sitting on the road side to guard the boat and trailer while you try to locate a set of bearings.

I carry a spare wheel mounted on a hub and bearings.

Ray

Yep got to set my spare up that way as well.

Also mates reminded me that having been a \"manual worker\" for years, with popeye forearms, my finger tight is pretty tight compared to a desk wallah, so make sure you test the wheel for wobble before fitting the split pin. (Grab opposite sides and try and wobble it back and forth, anything but the slightest movement, go one more notch on the nut and try again)

Very well done Feral,

Now drop into DARRA ,in the morn .I have a bogie drive UD that needs all the bearings done. :( and my 2 apprentices are at TAFE). I think you would do a better job than them anyway. :laugh:

But seriously well done. I must do mine shortly , Havent realy done them since I brought it. Just checked them.

Thanks for going to so much effort there Feral. One question, when all is done and the bearings are on ( before the wheels are back on) how much should the hub spin?

When i did mine they only spun about 1 full revolution when being spun with one finger. Havnt had a look at how they are since taking it on the road. I was hoping it would loosen up after a good run

Woody

with freshly packed bearings as Feral has shown the wheel should turn easliy but not spin due to the grease

example if you grab a brand new bearing it will turn smoothly but wont spin (sealed roller that is ) take the seals off wash all the grease out and it will spin like a top but wont last long under load ;)

• 1 year later...

just a note; trailer bearing are mostly holden on smaller trailers and ford on larger trailers, i carry 3 of each already packed and ready to go, just in case i see someone with probs goin up da coast at 1.30 in the am, i know mine are ford. nothing worse than finding a shop that has bearings, you drive back and they are the wrong 1's. doh, buggar. !!#*.here we go again. ;)

chubbstar wrote:

bootyinblue wrote:
About as many bearings and some blokes have brains!

Shortie, how good are you with 12v stuff if I bring around the boat, the lights, the stereo and a slab?

Pick a day that I'm not working and I'll do the wheel bearings while you two drink the slab;)

Jayson

Im there Booties trailer and slab, Chubbs doning the work me drinking Booties Beer.

Now thats what AFO is about.

chubbstar wrote:

bootyinblue wrote:
About as many bearings and some blokes have brains!

Shortie, how good are you with 12v stuff if I bring around the boat, the lights, the stereo and a slab?

Pick a day that I'm not working and I'll do the wheel bearings while you two drink the slab;)

Jayson

Too bad you are already married Chubbs... I would snaffle you up quick smart with an attitude like that :kiss:

Shortie... you got gas in your BBQ?

kriso wrote:

when you doin it i gota see this lol i got some stands you can use for the trailer and trolley jack and few other toys to make it a bit more easy job if ya need

Yeah gunna need tools, I sold all mine when I quit mechanics. Have you got a Grease gun and needle kriso? I dont want to get my hands dirty:silly: :P

Jayson