Where is your bilge pump mounted?

rayke1938

I have 2 bilge pumps on both my boats

I have 1100 gph ones with automatic float switches mounted aprox midships at the lowest point in the hull. These account for rainwater, leaks, and water from castnetting or doing pots ,

I also have larger 2000 gph capacity ones at the stern to deal with forgetting to install bungs or water taken on board whilst under way.

With the majority of my fishing being in the dams it is very rare for the stern pumps to do any work.

Cheers

Ray

Yeah thats how mine are set. Auto ones at mid hull cover me when anchored at night when I'm not around and a stern one for when you notice "geez my feet are wet, did I forget to turn off the live bait tap again". Crazy how 2-300L of water can slow a boat down.

Got them running on two separate breaker boxes too. If the main console goes (running the stern) the secondary box for auxiliaries mounted in a different spot (running mid hull) will hopefully give me a bit of a backup.

I'm also looking at putting in a trap door to inspect the mid hull one since its under the floor.

With my dam boat I just run the outlet hose down to the stern and pump out of the transom

With my rust water boat there was already an outlet near the port side seat where the previous owner had had an outlet for a live bait tank so I just ran the hose straight up to the outlet.

Cheers

Ray

yep all my boats have a midship and aft bilges even the hobie has a bilge pump.

my offshore boat has multiple bilges. i have a manual 5ltr per pump hand operated style bilge for if in the event that the eletrics were to get destroyed from say a fire or short circiting i have a manual way to bilge the water.

i do believe that it is the law in NSW that if a boat has a false floor it must have bilges because the floor restricts the method of bailing.i dont think it is law in QLD. it should be.

Archived