Brisbane River Bass by Canoe

Plastic Fantastic

hey guys,

unloaded the canoe at the Mt. Crosby Wier today around midday and paddled about 2km upstream, lots of fishy water up there but the wind picked up and was draging my canoe all over the shop so i decided to find a grassy bank to moore on and fish the shore...

wacked on a kokoda 1/4Oz spinner bait on and 1st cast missed a little bass as he followed it back to shore...should've used stingers :whistle: anywho 10 minutes later and i hooked up to a nice bass that put up a good fight and at 36cm to the fork christened my new shimano river raider rod nicely :P

what the fish lacked in length made up in girth...this fish was one fat mumma haha...all up spent an hour on the water until the clouds and wind got to threatening so paddled back to the wier and drove home...

but that stretch of water has some real fishy structure in it...including an incredibly fresh snag in the form of a massive gum tree...still got all its leaves on it - i must go back soon! by the way i released the fish, dont like killing bass, especially from a river.

[img size=214]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/39cm_Brisbane_River_Bass.jpg

post-1541-144598426438_thumb.jpg

i was down there earlier in the week and the fish ladder isn't working- it has a piece of wood blocking the flow that looks quite official. since the river level is high enough i wonder why, apart from water level, it has been blocked off. if they can't negotiate the weir can they still breed?

i think the fish ladder has been blocked off to stop the much needed water from escaping over into the salt water...we need all the water we can get right now lol but yea shame they blocked it...thats where i launched my canoe and paddled upstream from there, the highish level of water made i extremely easy to launch :laugh:

Archived