Catching banded grunter and spangled perch

darkhonour

Hi,

I live in Brisbane and am keen to catch a banded grunter or spangled perch for my aquarium. I've heard them mentioned as nuisance fish that get in the way of more targetable species, but I'm not exactly looking for a fish that's half a metre long to live in my tank. Is there anywhere these fish are especially prolific and any techniques that see them on the end of the line specifically, or is it more a case of anything and anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Yes.

Hinze Dam = Banded Grunter in huge numbers.

Baroon Pocket Dam = Spangleds in even more proflific numbers.

Caution: I am not personally aware of the rules and regulations regarding the keeping of these specific fish. However, bare in mind that in many cases you cannot take fish from a dam for an aquarium. Im not saying dont do it, just check your regs so you dont land yourself a fine.

Also certain \"pest\" species cannot be kept anyway. This certainly applies to exotic pest species, but you might want to check to make sure you actually can have a banded grunter or a spangly in your tank.

When i was younger and didnt know any better i had a spangled perch in my tank. It was the coolest and most character filled fish i ever kept.

So if all turns out cool and you can keep one of these, id go the spangled over the banded.

Good luck!

Angus

P.S. Can anyone clarify for certain any rules and regs concering this topic?

STU wrote:

Near archerfield airport across the road in the park it is in front of souths sports club on mortimer road

Sweet I know the one I work about 500 metres from there

can u get in there I thought it was fenced off? I got this tiny reel I bought off ebay for $2.05 I am loading with 2lb line and wouldn't mind having some with some spanglies

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,

just came across this post while advanced searching. I am heading that way tomorrow for a b'day so I looked this place up and thought it might be worth a bash? Is there a fence round this place (i think there is) and r u allowed to fish here and get in?

All replies will be awesome

cheers

Anthony :)

I used to climb under the fence at the quarry at Acacia Ridge and fish there with my mates as a kid in the 80's, there was the odd tandanus in there too. The Police used to occasionally come down and chase the local kids off fishing in there and in the mid 80's they (not sure who) poisoned it to stop all us local kids fishing there. the spangled perch disappeared after that, but obviously they've made a comeback :woohoo:

Used to also get spangled perch in the 80's in the waterholes left by sandmining very close to the Archerfield speedway. Not sure about these days, could be filled in and a residential area now for all I know.

Back in the day we'd net guppies for bait on a fly hook, got me thinking a 2" powerbait minnow in the blue colour would be deadly.

There was also spangled perch in Stable Swamp creek at Rocklea, Coopers Plains etc. Not sure if that creek is still there or they've concreted it up and turned it into a stormwater drain these days.

Archived