Victoria Point 8/8/07 The flatties are showing up.

Mick

I started the morning off at luggage point fishing from the bank... Upon arrival I was surprised to be greeted by a good SW wind that made casting my SP in to the river nice and hard... oh well .. I persevered and ended up with 6 duskies for the morning all @38 -39 cm DOH :angry: all were released....

I had been reading a story in the latest fishing world mag called Advanced Flathead Jigging... so I was keen to put some of my new learnt skills into practise. As I was packing up at luggage point a mate called to see if I want to go for a run out around Victoria Point.. sure why not..

We started drifting around flicking SP at the bottom of Coochi where early in the piece I picked up a small flounder (15cm) The Gulp 4\" minnow in Pumpkin Seed was bigger than it head... and the 1/8th jig head nearly out weighed the little guy... he was quickly released.

A couple of casts later an even smaller Whiting jumped on the TT jig head... A move was made to find bigger fish...

We found a spot out of the wind and nearing the end of our first drift on the last jig before winding in I got a big hit and boom he was off.... with such a short amount of line out and the shallow water (less than 1 meter) the fish seen immediately, it was a good size flattie well above the 39cm guys of that morning..

Upon seeing the boat he realised he was in trouble and took of on the first of 3 runs, after a dance around the boat and some good guidance and net work buy my mate we netted a nice 63cm Dusky Flathead.

To say I was happy would be an understatement...

After calming done we got back into fishing and with the sun setting we only had time for a couple more drifts... we picked up another 45cm flathead again with a great little fight to boot...

The tackle of the day was a Berkley Dropshot Rod, Diawa 2500 reel 6lb braid with a 6lb Fluro leader (it was shot after the big one..)

Total for the Day

8 Flathead (2 kept)

1 Flounder

1 Whiting [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/vbpgimage.jpg

post-348-14459842652_thumb.jpg

Thanks Angus... It is a great artical I recommend it to all ... you even got some from Platypus low strect mono with that issue(6lb 100m)

When we went to fillet the guy we found some fishing line hanging out its butt.... a quick pull on the line and out comes a nice shinny new whiting hook.. this guy has snapped up a small whiting offering... snapped off the line and swallowed the hook and line whole then passed it ... not a bad effort.

Archived