Fishing Moreton bay (but how to predict the weather?!)

wiseguy

hey guys

myself and two good mates of mine (Boofa and Cob) try to get out and fish the bay on as many weekends as we can.

we have an older boat around the 6m mark which we have found to be able to fish all over the bay weather permitting - and that is what i wanted to ask

when we fish the bay (north brissy end, so Scarbrough, Nudgee beach, river mouth, all the way across to tangas outside morteon) where should we look for our wind and swell info?

i use Willy weather usually, but of course there isnt a tab for the parts of the bay we fish - so where is the best place to look for this information? most of the time we get on the water and then play it by ear pending the weather - which makes it hard to plan trips further out into the bay... :ohmy:

anyway hope to see you all out on the water! thanks in advanced.

tight lines,

-Wiseguy :cheer: :cheer:

definitely do not rely on willyweather for wind forecast. ok for tides and sometimes rain, never even close on the wind.

mate i look at the bom forecast for moreton bay waters. you're not really concerned about what the swell forecast is unless you are heading outside the bay. you get swell in open (i.e. when outside the bay islands) waters but only usually wind chop (what is referred to as "seas" on the forecast) inside the bay. Very occasionally when there is a huge ENE ocean swell some of it will find its way inside the bay, but generally only in the northern part and usually won't bother you a whole lot, just a gentle rocking.

a typical bom summer forecast would be something like:

Moreton bay waters

variable winds 5-10kn early, tending N/NE 10-15kn by late morning, possibly reaching 15-20 in the northern bay. Seas 0.7m reaching 1.2m in the northern bay during the afternoon.

On this sort of forecast, it will generally be fairly good early but once the NE seabreeze kicks up it will be pretty choppy and uncomfortable out there. I would probbaly head out before dawn and aim to be back by 1-2pm on a forecast like this.

In winter time when westerlies dominate, a lot of the time the wind will drop through the day, as opposed to summer when the NE seabreezes generally kick in after lunch and get stronger. This is good as early starts in winter are also cold and my bed is warm. Dusk sessions all round!

as a general rule, anything more than 10-15kn can get uncomfortable, anything more than 15-20kn i'd suggest staying home.

check out also windfinder.com (use point lookout as a location) and seabreeze is ok, but only a day or two before you head out.

Yes check the forecast before you go, use both seabreeze and the BOM boating forecast, (not the Std BOM forecast for soccer mums wondering if they will get their washing dry).

But the most important thing is to have your VHF on 67 for the hourly weather update from the VMR. Things can change significantly throughout the day from the 3am BOM forecast you check before heading out.

I will generally check all 3 of the sites listed above, but find BOM is the most reliable.

check the followign links, they may be useful for you.

/>http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/wind.shtml
/>http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml

Loinc

Archived