Landbased for a feed, Trinity Inlet Cairns

tiotony

Went down the inlet last night specifically looking for a feed of fish, small tide so was looking forward to being able to fish livies unweighted. Chucked in a couple of pots with some jack frames and then had a ridiculously hard time getting bait; not a single prawn and just managed a few mullet and herring, although twice I accidentaly threw the net over barra, both of which gave a big kick and did a houdini out of the cast net. While I was castnetting Ben chucked a hardbody over the mudflat and was rewarded with a 60cm flathead.

post-6937-144598931862_thumb.jpeg

Started up in barra corner in the hope of some red fish (jacks and fingermark), and maybe a barra under the lights. Ben's hardbody got flashed a couple of times by big barra and it was about half an hour before I finally got a smack fishing a live mullet in the shadows right up hard to the wharf. Up came a little jack.

post-6937-144598931782_thumb.jpeg

Dropped another livie in exactly the same spot and got smacked instantly by a little GT

post-6937-144598931797_thumb.jpeg

I'd had a butterflied herring sitting out in the channel for about 20 minutes, and was just saying I was gonna pull it in as nothing was happening with it, when it went off and up came a little estuary cod.

post-6937-144598931809_thumb.jpeg

The next butterflied herring in the channel got eaten by a big pike eel and we weren't getting runs so we walked up to the shallows to investigate the big boofs we kept hearing up that way. Ben casted a big hardbody in the lights in the shed, which immediately got monstered by a metre plus barra, he had to put massive pressure on the 40lb braid to try and steer the fish away from the pylons, and the leader knot gave way just before the fish made it under the wharf. Fortunately his lure popped up a couple of minutes later so I threw the cast net over it and got it back for him.

I then put a big mullet unweighted on my new 'under the wharf stump puller', which is an 80lb tcurve deep jig and a calcutta 400 with beefed up drag, running 80lb braid. Ben also chucked a big mullet on and promptly got owned on the pylons as he was way out gunned on 30lb braid. I threw mine a couple of metres out from the wharf and almost immediately a pink eyed beast way over a metre flashed out from the wharf right in front of our eyes and boofed my mullet off the surface. I missed the hookup and the mullet popped out of her mouth much the worse for wear. A smaller fish almost immediately then shot out and sucked down the half dead mullet, and I subdued it easily on the heavy gear.

post-6937-144598931821_thumb.jpeg

post-6937-144598931832_thumb.jpeg

Happy I now had my feed, I chucked on another mullet and got another manageable fish substantially heavier in the body and a few cm bigger.

post-6937-144598931842_thumb.jpeg

post-6937-144598931852_thumb.jpg

We kept fishing a bit longer and missed a few strikes, I got sick of it so pulled out the light SP rod to catch a tarpon (just to maintain commonality as the 'tarpon magnet'). Hooked one straight away on a gulp shrimp, which sheared through my leader.

I then rerigged with another gulp shrimp and got this little nuiscance, just to say I'd caught one.

post-6937-144598931874_thumb.jpeg

Sick of it by then so pulled the pots and got a 17cm across the shell buck, as well as a big jenny and an undersize buck.

post-6937-144598931885_thumb.jpg

Can see a monsoon building as I write this, so gonna quickly mow the lawn, then retire out of the rain for an afternoon of coronas, crab, and fresh barra with Ben. I love life in the far north :kiss:

Great session mate.

I'll be up that way around June this year (I'm kicking off a 5-month round-Oz trip leaving Perth this Saturday B) ), what sort of fish do you get around there that time of the year? Are the crabs still there then?

I won't have a boat or yak so I'm taking on board any recon for landbased options.

Happy to move this to PM instead of this post if you want too...

Cheers

Great session mate.

I'll be up that way around June this year (I'm kicking off a 5-month round-Oz trip leaving Perth this Saturday B) ), what sort of fish do you get around there that time of the year? Are the crabs still there then?

I won't have a boat or yak so I'm taking on board any recon for landbased options.

Happy to move this to PM instead of this post if you want too...

Cheers

Mate send me and member bennno a message when you arrive and we'll sort you out

Mate send me and member bennno a message when you arrive and we'll sort you out

Hell yeah.

Will def take you up on that offer mate, looking forward to some far-north Queensland hospitality!

If you experience anything close to the trips I've had with these fellas mate you'll be in for a lot

More than hospitality, these blokes make 5 star look like woodridge !!

tough choice... do I have crab, jack, cod, flatty or barra for dinner... :whistle:

It was easy we just ate them all :D Drunken crab eating was a highlight for me and the cod was beautiful.

Yep, sitting on the patio eating fresh seafood and necking coronas is a great way to pass the time, although I had a very sore head on wednesday :sick:

@ Callum and Beau, come up and get your barra on!

Yep, sitting on the patio eating fresh seafood and necking coronas is a great way to pass the time, although I had a very sore head on wednesday :sick:

Same, might have had 3 or 4 too many mercury bombs. The awesome dancing impressed all the pretty ladies lol.

Archived