Replacing trebles

It has taken me a very, very long time to replace the trebles on a lure. Those split rings were the most frustrating thing I've ever encountered! :angry: was my first time attempting this. Was using pliers and tweezers to pry them open but was difficult keep the bugger still and thread on the treble.

Any tricks to the trade?

I know split ring pliers exist but I don't have any, so are they essential to get the job done quicker?

So annoying!!!!

Cheers,

Sam

i slide the split ring onto my thumb nail and use the hook to press against it to open it and get it started on small split rings, for 75lb and above i use my split ring pliers.. at bcf there is a small pair of penn split ring pliers perfect for lil fiddly split rings..

Just gave my nails a clipping this morning wesfish :silly:

Might have to wait a couple of weeks for that one. Also might as well just buy some of those pliers.

Cheers guys, problem solved.

P.s just for everyone's amusement, it took me 40 minutes. :silly: I'm surprised I didn't get a noise complaint from the neighbours....

What size split rings?

When your desperate, Usually if you careful with a butter knife on smallish rings, a pair of side cutters to open larger rings and your finger nails on small rings.

Trick is to get the wire slightly out, just enough to jam the eye of the hook in to the opening over the exposed wire, then slide it around forcing it to open as it goes.

I think the Smith's split ring pliers for the small rings are $20 and worth their weight in gold, even if I'm out in the yak I can easily change or replace trebles with out any issues. Tackle warehouse or Fishhead will both have them in stock.

Cheers

Mark

Buy the Wilson split ring tweezers they are 5 bucks and work a treat

Buy the Wilson split ring tweezers they are 5 bucks and work a treat

+1

+2 Wilson ones have a magnetic tip too

You could also try to bend the tip of an old pair of tweezers at 90 degrees and use that for now until your split ring pliers come

Archived