Anyone recommend a good fly fishing combo for begginers

new2kayaks

Hi All

A friend took me fly fishing for carp the other day and it was freekin awesome. so chasing a fly rod of my own but havent a clue about any of the lingo so the stuff im reading makes no sense at all. I know that the rod i was using was an 8 weight. Can anyone recommend a decent combo for around the 200 buck mark. Or even some good australian online stores that stock the stuff. Doesnt have to be the best just dont want it to break after 3 months.

Lee

Try the fly fishing forums classifieds, there's always something for sale. I'd second the Wildfish. Not sure about modern day Gillies, my brother bought a combo and the rod snapped literally first cast.

Can't go wrong with secondhand brand names like Sage, G Loomis, and Scott.

Lee, this package I've seen on another forum is an absolute steal if you are after an 8wt combo. The flylines alone would cost $200. The Aire is a reaaly nice rod too. PM me details ASAP if you are interested, this deal will be snapped up very soon

"A Stalker Aire 8# Saltwater 4pce with spare tip 9ft Rod, comes with tube & sock, has been used in CXI, Weipa and chasing snapper in Vic. A nice rod, fast/medium action, pretty much unmarked, only have had to superglue the fighting butt back on, otherwise good as gold.

Packaged with a Stalker Guide series G3 reel with a Rio Floating line (can't remember which one)' and a spare spool with an Intermediate line all 8#, reel has not been used much, but has handled long tail tuna, Spanish mack & queenies, so drag system is ok.

Ideal set up for a trip to fnq, or a starter kit for swff, packaged all together $275.00 plus postage or pickup/del if in Melb. PM or email me for pics."

Archived