Mutated pine river species

samsteele115

Hey guys,

Been seeing a few photos floating around of mutated species caught in the pine recently. I'm hoping this is coincidence and a normal thing but concerned that there is something majorly wrong with the water quality.

A couple of months ago I was fishing on the pine and a few helicopters started flying low and spraying the mangroves not far from me (I'm guessing it was mosquito spray). Being chemical sensitive I was off the water pretty quick and headed home. I was pretty annoyed. Alot of the spray must find it's way to the water, and there was lots of it being released by the choppers.

Not suggesting this could be the cause of mutated species as it surely can't be too concentrated when it finds its way into the water, but it certainly can't be a good thing. I'm not sure how necessary it is and I was fairly annoyed at the time, especially seeing so many boaties out on the water, including me, being so close to the spraying.

Just a thought sparked by a few photos.

post-11925-14459894158_thumb.jpg

post-11925-144598941583_thumb.jpg

Sam

Bream is suffering from saddleback syndrome

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-05-12/mutated-fish-safe-to-eat/433160

Been around for years but becoming more prevalent.

Cheers "Ray

Big call Ray "Saddleback Syndrome" while an accepted issue in cultured fish is most likely wrongly attributed to the damaged Bream we see and numerous other species world wide where there is an intensive selective gill net fishery. Have seen them all my life call it Net Neck myself have seen it so fresh you can still see the warp and weft of the net, main cause in SEQ is being removed from the mesh of Gill and tunnel nets and returned due to being undersized .A waste of valuable research funds and time thusfar the whole Saddleback Syndrome in Bream debacle.

Bream is suffering from saddleback syndrome

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-05-12/mutated-fish-safe-to-eat/433160

Been around for years but becoming more prevalent.

Cheers "Ray

Big call Ray "Saddleback Syndrome" while an accepted issue in cultured fish is most likely wrongly attributed to the damaged Bream we see and numerous other species world wide where there is an intensive selective gill net fishery. Have seen them all my life call it Net Neck myself have seen it so fresh you can still see the warp and weft of the net, main cause in SEQ is being removed from the mesh of Gill and tunnel nets and returned due to being undersized .A waste of valuable research funds and time thusfar the whole Saddleback Syndrome in Bream debacle.

I dont think thats fully correct. ive caught heaps of bream like this in the river and a lot look like bites (obviously they arent) but only on the the top half. Way to many to be attributed to netting and i have caught plenty up near colleges as they are the best shark bait. To my knowledge no one is netting around there and over the years i have caught heaps of them. I have also caught plenty in the canals on the sunnycoast and theres to many bullsharks to net in there. not saying its fully wrong but i dont think all bream that have this deformation are from netting.

seen many a bream while diving with fresh and old shark bites, a couple of times they were that fresh that you could see the teeth marks and also other times seen them in gill nets and traps around peel and can see how that can cause the damage as well

Hey elops, Do bream have a dorsal fin or barb at the front of their head that causes it to get caught and damaged more in the nets? As all of these fish seem to have the damage on the same place everytime?

Also if it is shark bites etc, how come the sharks are always so precise with their bite to that same top section of their head?

Archived