Glorious North Pine River

basshunter1987

My mate Shane called me up for a sesh and suggested somewhere local and easy. I wanted freshwater, and he had a craving for Flathead. My compromise was our favourite stretch of the North Pine River at Petrie. We've fished here for years, and the the Flathead there are awesome. Soft plastics work as easy as you like, and the river itself is a lovely place.

post-12066-1445989419_thumb.jpg

I told Shane I was after all the Bass that had washed over the wall, and he thought I was dreaming, but said he'd love to be proven wrong :) We set off in the yak with Shane on soft plastics, and I used my old faithful timber Tilsan in Golden Sunset colours. This lure is fairly awful for longevity, I find it splits often after just one trip. I used to use the Rapala Shad Rap RS in Red Crawdad, but it's not around anymore. The Berkley Fliker Shad in Red Tiger is almost identical though, and is worth a lot more than the $5 I spent on it, haha :)

High tide was just after midday, and the water was looking really clean, considering all the recent rain. We headed straight up to a bend and found a healthy looking tree out from the bank, with submerged snags all around it. First cast from Shane was a massive hit, but the fish got away. I didn't waste time going after it again, and got the prize with the next cast...A Bass! Shane apologised :)

post-12066-144598941912_thumb.jpg

Well that was where we stayed for a good hour and a bit. That snag was absolutely loaded! And the fish were really aggressive, which made for some incredibly fun fights.

post-12066-14459894192_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144598941927_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144598941937_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144598941961_thumb.jpg

And just for fun, I wanted a photo dual wielding a pair of Bass :)

post-12066-144598941945_thumb.jpg

So, in the end, no Flathead! And on the way back, Shane decided to taste the water to see if there was any salt in it at all. Despite the fact the river at this point is tidal, the water tasted pure fresh. I might test it first thing next time... ;)

post-12066-144598941953_thumb.jpg

Luke

I love that bit of the river, only ever caught bass there although it screams flathead. I reckon I'll have to wait for a drought for some salt to get there.

Where did you launch, they opened the ramp at Wylie park yet?, or did you go off the bank, looked a bit to muddy for me last I time looked at it.

Thanks for all the positive responses guys! :) You're all very kind.

We launch from the bank wherever there's a clean-ish looking spot. Usually that means carrying the yak and gear a little distance, sometimes through Velociraptor length grass, but there's two of us and not too much effort is involved.

I don't think the boat ramp has been reopened yet, and Sweeney Reserve was opened again, but has been closed since the rain I think. There used to be a concrete canoe/kayak launching area there too, but it's all but gone.

We always seem to be the only ones there when we go, so I can't say how heavily fished it is. I haven't taken a single fish home in years, so all my catches are still there ;)

I've also caught Cod and Trevally here too, as well as the Flathead, Catfish, Bream and Bass. Next on my list are the very inquisitive Bull Sharks...

Love me some Bass!

Luke

Archived