Trailer Registration

Doobsy

Long story short - I've acquired a trailer that's probably about 5 years old, a bit weathered but in good nick.

I'm wanting to register it but it hasn't been registered previously for reasons that can not be discussed due to the fact that it was manufactured in NSW and is currently residing in QLD... :whistle:

It's a single axle, under 750kg from my novice assumptions and has highway rated wheels.

I can't seem to find any AGM or VIN or builders plate but I know it was made by Warriewood Trailers.

My question is; do I need to take it to a Registry to have it marked or get a build plate before I can register it or can I fill out the form to the best of my knowledge and pay the money and get a licence plate for it?

Any and all feedback welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

Doobs. ;)

My mate did it with a box trailer, if it's under 750kg you can self assess for rego purposes. Can't register it if it doesn't have a VIN/chassis number. In the end it was easier for him to have a number assigned as a home built trailer than try and track one down through the manufacturer.

Check TMR though, I'm going off memory.

There may be a stamped number on the drawbar near the hitch. Try buffing away some paint with a wire wheel on a grinder.

I had the same problem registering a glass boat. QT assigned me a hull id number after supplying all the dimensions and other stuff on the form.

My mate did it with a box trailer, if it's under 750kg you can self assess for rego purposes. Can't register it if it doesn't have a VIN/chassis number. In the end it was easier for him to have a number assigned as a home built trailer than try and track one down through the manufacturer.

Check TMR though, I'm going off memory.

Yeah, so did he have to take the trailer in?

My understanding is that I'd have to take the boat off and take the trailer in which I'd like to avoid...

Tomca, I'll have another look...

Cheers boys.

There may be a stamped number on the drawbar near the hitch. Try buffing away some paint with a wire wheel on a grinder.

I had the same problem registering a glass boat. QT assigned me a hull id number after supplying all the dimensions and other stuff on the form.

Nothing... No numbers on the chassis or the axle.

Only number was an AS44731 or similar on the hitch itself which I would assume is an Aust. Standards number for the hitch itself.

Can they assign a VIN without taking it in?

Thought I'd put up the result of my lunch hour at the DMR...

If your trailer is home-made or doesn't have a manufacturer stamped VIN, you must go to a service centre to have it inspected and get issued a VIN and ID plate.

You then have to get the plate engraved with the issued specifics then you need to go back with said plate and rego form to be issued a rego plate and sticker.

Thank God, I questioned their current conditions displayed on the website as they are mildly confusing and indeed contradictory.

A call to head office help line and some creative information manipulation and I was allowed to get an ID plate to engrave the issued VIN and a new number plate.

Be prepared. ;)

As I said, made before 1980.......

Only about 5 years old and new legislation just in means that any and all trailers without previous registration must go through this. Even the old ones.

This is due to recent spikes in trailer rebirthing.

Thanks scumbags for making us jump through more hoops! :kiss:

Ah bugger mate, sorry for leading you on otherwise. Thanks for the heads up though.

All good mate. Exactly as you described.

Self assessment, got VIN plate to fill in at my leisure and got no. plate with sticker on the way. Just lucky I got in during this "transition" period.

If it was next week, I would've had to get inspection done first.

Pretty lucky (and persuasive. :whistle: ).... ;)

bugger!

Usually its just, yeah yeah, made in the 70's by Grandad, been registered before, but been sitting out the back of the shed so long cant remember want the number was.......

Yeah man, I know what you were saying.

I discussed available "options" with the seriously lovely and helpful lady at the registry.

Too many choice pieces of work have obviously been helping themselves to others' hard-earned, removing VINs and doing it this way.

Part of the inspection is scouring the frame for evidence of original VINs.

S'pose we should be thankful they're making it harder for the trash... :dry:

Archived