Maroochy River Bream

thomasando

Went out for a fish on Friday night on the Maroochy River. I ended up going solo after two mates bailed on me during the day and I couldn't find anybody else at short notice.

I started down at the mouth, pumped a few yabbies and fished some of the sand banks. I got one gar and nothing else so moved on. I moved around a few times with no success before settling just after sunset on the northern bank opposite Chambers Island.

I threw my lines out and grabbed a beer. I had a solid bite in the process of installing a stubby cooler and after a few seconds of panic I had the rod in hand and pulled up a small flatty. I threw the line back in, gabbed my sandwich. As soon as I took a bite the other line got smashed and in came a solid Bream.

This continued for the next 40 minutes and I landed 6 Bream. One went 32cm, another 30 and the rest in the 25-28 range. It started to get busy and the fish went quiet. They fought like no other bream I've ever caught and I got to wondering if they were Tarwhine? I struggle to tell them apart, especially with poor light at night.

After about 30mins with no more bites I called it quits. A good night out - normally don't catch much when others come with me so it was good to stick it to my mates and finally grab a few decent fish!

What's the verdict - Bream or Tarwhine?

post-12084-144598943883_thumb.jpg

They look more like Tarwhine to me, im sure Elops will let you know for sure.

Rarely look at Bream reports :whistle:

The guys are right 1 Bream, 5 Tarwhine easy to confuse them even Bream tournament anglers weigh them in on the odd occasion :blush:

They look more like Tarwhine to me, im sure Elops will let you know for sure.

Rarely look at Bream reports :whistle:

The guys are right 1 Bream, 5 Tarwhine easy to confuse them even Bream tournament anglers weigh them in on the odd occasion :blush:

Thanks for looking anyway! Which one is the Bream?

Archived