Monduran Advice/Information...

Angus

Hey team.

Ok I know next to nothing about this Dam. Boydy has asked if the mrs and I are keen for a camping trip in May so wanted to throw out a few questions...

First off, and I guess most importantly...

Is May a good time with things cooling down? I know winter is an acceptable time, but is their a transitional time when things are a big quiet?

Secondly... (and I plan to read the old reports as well but this question I guess comes down to more the time we go), is trolling or weed edge casting the way to go generally speaking, in this dam? Keen to do more casting than anything, but also want to increase chances of getting of a donut :)

Last but not least...

As we have to drive past Lenthalls anyway... Does anyone know on the grapevine how this has ben fishing? Would it be better to stop here?

Cheers guys any and all input would be welcome...

Angus

One thing I have learnt is that the warmer water brings on the bite, so I'm thinking May/winter may not be the best time :unsure:

The trollers have beaten the casters on trips I've done there. I do recall

PCsolutionman (?) and Terry doing well casting in shallower waters on their kayaks a few years back.

The trolling boys did not get many the last time I went there however neither did I :(. I only caught two in the last 2 hours of the trip after a week. I agree with Ray in the linked report I think it is going to be fairly difficult fishing and in May a lot harder. If I did go there I would only concentrate on the sunny wind blown point and the sunny shallow bays. The important thing about Mondy is that if you get into a bay that has slime and stuff floating around you have a good indication that the water is going to be short Oxygen so move on. From all reports though it is supposed to be a great Bass fishery and the bass will be schooling up (is it a sips dam??).

It is a great place to get out and explore and at the very least you get to have some beers and a getaway with mates.

If you do fish the dams, give the trolling a miss. Sounds like a snorefest :P

Not sure how captures are given all the overflow, probably not a lot of the big fellas around anymore. General fishing advice though is:

If around sunrise/sunset, stick to the shallow sunny bays particularly as the water cools. These will give you the warmest water, and is where the barra are most likely to be feeding.

If there is a wind, stick to the most wind blown side, apparently the bait fish congregate on this side (must be with all the rubbish/insects etc blown over) - bait = barra.

I prefered to use slick rigs or similar lures, I used to use nitro I think it was - the pre-rigged suckers. Something you can roll very slowly. Use the slowest reel you have.

If you're fishing around timber, 20lbs main and 40lbs leader is not adequate. I was a doubter. I gave it the "she'll be right" approach, afterall I've found in other circumstances when people rave on about heavy leaders etc you find out later that its not essential. I went to Monduran for half a day with Lee. First cast (in amongst timber) I got my rear passage severely violated by a metre+ barra. I wasn't hooked on for long, there was just sheer power, lots and lots of it and my 40lbs leader wore through pretty darn quick on some logs.

I thought I'd give it another go. 2nd cast I hooked up again, but lost it after 5-10 seconds. again, sheer power - and my leader was almost worn out. Even if the hooks didn't pop out, I wasn't far off losing it anyway.

Neither Lee or I got another hit that morning.

Moral of the story? I will always use the lightest line I can get away with. I'm of the belief light line is harder to see thus more hookups. With that said, if there is timber, you need some heavy leader. What weight to use really depends on your likely captures. You would probably get away with 40lbs atm since a lot of the bigger fish went over the wall. However if you suspect metre+ fish are lurking around I certainly wouldn't fish below 60lbs.

Of course, I'd probably still fish the 40lbs, however have the 60lbs or 80lbs on standby in case I lost a fish.

If its open water, by all means use your silly string.

Most of the action seems to be at the top of the dam at mondy, upin bay B and right at the back of the bays. Casting supending lures was the go in November, but I have heard a few have been caught trolling. Its a long way to the back of the dam and you need a GPS if you dont know the dam, to find your way through the timber. As Ray said the boyne or gladstone harbour probably your best shot. Wes might be able to help there.

Recent reports from mates of big barra in the river below the wall, nothing in the dam.

The "master anglers" always claim to be able to raise barra any time of year by targeting warm pockets of water in amongst the weeds etc.

My personal, not so masterful angling experience has been if the waters not over 27 degrees, you wont be troubling the queue at the cleaning table.

Ok with it only being an overnighter we have dismissed Boyne although plan another trip there in the future.

Monduran has been chosen simply as the camping facilities are superior to Lenthalls. Will be leaving from Noosa so not a bad run.

Is access below the wall easy and legal?

Might as well take the yaks up and give it a go!

Angus

I've been below the wall, it involves a small trek along a dirt road. Not sure on the conditions since the 2nd over flow. It is a fenced off track with appropriate signage, I have asked Rob about it and he was okay about it provided we kept a low key, didn't litter and used our heads.

From what I gather most of the fish are up the back, but worthwhile casting points. Think the basin is pretty much quiet (and deep).

Lenthals camping is far better than Monduran.

It is right on the water and has its own boat ramp and you can leave your boat in the water overnight right at your camp.

You can also fish off the bank at night and work the weedbeds from onshore.

It is an awesome lake and has fished extremely well this year.

If I was choosing between the 2 lakes,especially for an overnighter,it would be Lenthals every time.

Lenthals does have boat restrictions though,I think up to 60hp and only 4 strokes but you can have a 2 stroke on the boat and use the electric motor.

Directly in front of the campsite in the center of the lake is a massive weed bed and that is one of the best spots in the lake.

You can catch barra,yellas,bass there on the same lure.

Trolling around the weed beds there is also very productive.

Yeah we will have the girls...

So are there literally no designated fire pits or anything... I hate to make it a big deal, but the reality is it'll be a bit chilly and how good is sitting around a fire while camping!

I have left a message with the ranger and await clarification..

Angus

To be honest I am not sure on fires.

I have only fished it about a dozen times now and every time was just a quick overnighter to or from Mondy so we never bothered with a fire.

That arm which I marked for the camp site has the most insane structure you will ever fish,especially up the top where it takes that massive bend.

The other end of the lake was cleared when they raised the wall so its pretty boring up that way.

It is an incredible lake,both for fishing and scenery and I think you will thoroughly enjoy yourself there.

Hmm good advice Lance.

Our main concern with Lenthalls was no fires...

Makes for rather dull camping...

Angus

Do they allow fires at Mondy - Never seen one there

Someone idiot lit up the eagle nest one year.

There is a fire pit at Mondy at one of the communal areas, I have also seen small fires lit out the back paddock (unpowered). However it's a bit of a walk to any of the amenities.

You can have a fire at virtually any campsite at Mondy.

There is movable fire pits that Rob will bring to your site if you ask him otherwise setup where there is one.

There is some nice flat sites at the back of the shelter shed,don't setup there.

If it rains the entire park on that side of the ridge drains to that spot.

Archived