13000 fingerlings stocked into bay

Brian D

In April this year NSW fisheries released 4000 Mulloway (Jew Fish) into Botany Bay. They were about 150 in length and came from the Port Stephens Hatchery. That takes the total number of fingerlings released into the bay this year to 13000.

These releases were fully funded by the rec fishing licence fee via the Fishig Saltwater Trust and governed by NSW fisheries.

What is the Queensland fisheries doing to help Moreton Bay and the connecting river systems?

What is wrong with us, why are we so far behind. We have to restock our waterways.

Information found in Modern Fishing Sept 2006 - read it for yourself and maybe I should send a copy to Qld Fisheries.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/13 21:44

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/13 21:46

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/13 21:47

I think we need to setup our own stocking group similar to the dams. but focus on the bay. I think the major problem is do we have any hatcheries in the area? Cause its pointless getting 4000 jew fish from bottany bay cause tranport would be enormous and alot would die from transport shock.

DAVE

Thanks Feral - I will

Hey Dave I was not really suggesting that we release 400 jewies into the bay, nor thinking about transporting from down south, although it would be possable. I was thinking more along the lines of Trevally, Whiting, Flathead and for the river Thread Fin Salmon would be a good start.I also truely believe that Barra would survive as well.

There are hatcheries around but I have only spoken with 1 breeder. There are more farmers that need to be approached to gain backing for the project and if I move soon we may even get federal funding.

I am half expecting that someone will tell me they are further down the road then where I am - cause I am only at the begining, but until then I will keeep fishing for information and suupport.

If anyone knows anything that would speed up the process feel free to say so, please. I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have too.

There are two salt water hatcheries I know of here, one at Bribie just north of Woorim, and one at Deception bay. Both are DPI, I have been to the Bribie one, it is co-located with a convention centre, and they do (or did) tours for groups using the convention centre.

The Bribie one was breeding Barra and Prawns when I was there (5 or 6 years ago)

well they have finally listened to us about the fishing pontoons... maybe after some time they will listen to us about the restocking request... though id there was a license enforced to everyone who fishes in queensland and it was because of us (BRC) i can imagine how some people wouldnt be too happy with this site... even if it did mean good for the fish stocks a lot of people either wouldnt care how good it was as long as they got to fish for free or they wouldnt realise that the money is going towards fish stocking...

troy

Archived