Noosa's Laguna bay fires!

chrislocke

Hi everyone!

Tim (Timmymilat) and I went for a quick fishing trip out to Laguna bay (just out from the Noosa bar) and on the first cast, Tim hooked a cracker long tail! Th gear of choice was a nordic stage matched with a 1000 sized Shimano fishing reel, spooled with 6lb braid and it didn't this fish wasted no time on nearly getting to the backing on the first run! After the first initial run, it settled down a fair bit and ended up doing the classic "tuna circles" all the way to the boat and half an hour later, a high 90's long tail was in the boat! (We would have had an exact measurement but we need a bigger brag mat! Angus ;) )

After a few happy snaps, this fish was put straight onto ice as it was in no condition for release , and let's just say...epic sushi was on the cards!

After landing the fish, we mucked around with mactuna (high 90's) and had to retreat back into the river due to the low sides in my 4m tinny making it a wet journey every time we moved spots!

As far ad numbers were concerned, the were longtails everywhere and I just wish I had a bigger boat so I could get into them!

Thanks for reading, Chris and Tim!

post-8925-144598945702_thumb.jpg

post-8925-144598945713_thumb.jpg

post-8925-144598945722_thumb.jpg

post-8925-144598945732_thumb.jpg

That is such an epic capture on the Sharpshooter. 30mins is pretty quick time too, Ive heard of guys fighting them much longer on much heavier gear!

Any pics of the Mack tuna? high 90s are big macks! How did they fight compared to the LT?

That is such an epic capture on the Sharpshooter. 30mins is pretty quick time too, Ive heard of guys fighting them much longer on much heavier gear!

Any pics of the Mack tuna? high 90s are big macks! How did they fight compared to the LT?

I agree!

I had fights with LT's in Hervey that would not have been much shorter than 30 minutes...

And that was on 16lb!

Angus

Definately a lot of boat chasing to get them in that quick on light line. If you can get one that runs a fair bit they are quicker to get in. I hate the ones that don,t run and pretty much circle just out of net range for 30mins plus.

We were certainly surprised how much pressure you could put on with 6lb braid and the nordic stage!

Solid effort on six pound for sure, i dont imagine it would have been a stand and deliver fight there would have to have been a bit of chasing involved.

Had to chase it on the first run but after that it was pretty buggered and circled its way back up the boat. 150m is a fair distance to go with 3kgs of drag pressure!

Mactuna pull harder in my opinion and instead of one long run, they do 3-4 good ones and then give up! We actually had the drag go silent for a few seconds as the clicker couldn't keep up with the spool!

We didn't take pics of the mactuna as they went straight into the esky ready for the next reef fishing trip :)

Archived