Late Brisbane River fish post Anzac day parade

rathabfishin2

Started the day with the dawn service at Sherwood with my son. When we got home he decided that he was more keen for sleep than fishing with the old man so after a quick boat pack and drive I was chasing bait just before seven.

Stopped in at my usual spot and as I approached the site I heard plenty of movement in the water. First cast and about 60-70 poddies in the net. Thats a first! Usually i catch what I need here but require 5-10 casts and about 20-30 mins to acheive this. So I raced to get a few in the bucket and release the excess before they started to die. Fortunately most were not "gilled" as I call it and all fish bar the 25 I kept for bait. Note the only mortalities were eaten by fish and the 9 left over were released at the end of the day.

The sun was already high and the temp was quite warm as I dropped my four pots in before heading off to the green beacon at luggage point. Being so late I did not have to much hope at catching the targeted jewfish but didn't let that phase me. It was a day away from teaching, a day to myself with teaching or parental responsibilities, a day on my time to stay for as little or as long as I wanted, so a day to enjoy.

Spent the first hour sitting with no action. Several baits were taken without runs before bringing in a large sand crab on the line. Not a jew but I'll take it! Saw one line bouncing a little but not taking any drag. Felt it for a little while, rod laoded up, put some pressure on and landed a 58 cm flathead. Not a challenge on 20lb braid with 40lb leader but happy for the feed.

Had enough of the spot and decided to move a little upstream. Then the water police decided I was a person of interest just as I sounded up some bait and a few larger fish and dropped anchor. I was pretty annoyed but greeted them courteously (as I know what it's like to have a thankless job where most people dislike you). Turns out my rego numbers were not up to specification. I bought the boat second hand and the owner (a friend of a friend) bought it new off the dealer so I assumed the numbers were legitimate. I said to the officer "so I suppose I am bound to head straight in" and was pretty happy when he said "no, just stick to the river for today and make sure you fix it before the next trip". So one infringement notice "warning" with no fine and they left me alone. He also did warn me that the fisheries tend not to warn and fine so I cannot complain even if they did scare off the fish that were showing on the sounder!

Nothing much happened after that apart from several catfish so i decided to head back in. Picked up the pots to find one good buck amongst the jennies and headed off home.

All in all a good day on the water, a paid day off school, and a more than adequate little dinner for my son and I that night

Not much of a report but it's been a while! Just waiting for my cousin "BillV" to get back from work and take me out in his new Renegade so I can blood his new boat. Oh and if he see's this wishing him a happy 40th birthday for today too!

Archived