Went for an explore around Caloundra Wide with Daveylad

dhess

Hit the water at about 5am and headed in the direction of a few areas we have caught fish before with Ted in around 40m. Evrything looked barren on the sounder and we struggled to find anything worth dropping on.

Headed out wider and after a bit of sounding around we finally found a show worth fishing in 90m. Immediately pulled a few good trag (approx. 60-70cm) and a pearly. It shut down a bit, but persisted and added a few more pearlies, a hussar and a pigfish to the esky. Dave's pearly an absolute horse at 69cm. One of the biggest pearlies I have ever seen. Shut down completely so we motored in to find some closer ground so we would be closer to home when the 30knot SE change decided to come through.

post-972-144598948049_thumb.jpg

post-972-144598948063_thumb.jpg

Found a very nice show in about 60m and immediately pulled a nice little snap and a couple of moses perch. PIcked up a few more moses perch in subsequent drifts and the wind swung around to the SE and started picking up. Made a run for home while the sea was still flat.

Thanks for the great outing Dave.

The Pearlie is a pb for sure, he smashed the bait, it was in about 85metres of water and he struggled most of the way, I thought it was a snapper as it was doing head shakes and taking out some line. wouldnt mind a few more like him in the bin. As dom said it was interesting that there wasnt much showing on the sounder just small structure and some small bait but not much to think it was worth a drift but on each drift we seemed to get a hit for a few drifts then it went cold so we moved around and found another spot and same again. A great day out overall Thanks Dom

Awesome pearlie dave.

I m yet to learn how to catch these fish.

Dom i got my boat back yesterday.

He did a awesome job.

Im kinda glad weather bad this weekend. Gives me time to do bearing on tralier.

And do the floors in the front again.

Me and seff (jon) re doing the electrical this weekend n installing the sounder.

I have decided to run the gp7000 as chart plotter and the 620 as sounder.

New bimini and clears go on monday to. Haha gotta love insurance.

Hopefully be ready to take out next weekend.

Cant wait being too long since i being offshore properly.

Shane

Hey Shane, good to hear your getting the boat sorted.

We have only been to wide of Caloundra a few times. Its taking a while to figure out but there are plenty of options in depths ranging anywhere from 30m in close to 100m+. A few more trips and we should have a really good mud map of where most of the reefs are.

As for catching pearlies there isn't much to it apart from fishing areas of wire weed. If you select the HF zoom on your Furuno you should be able to spot wire weed. The good pearlies are usually feeding a few m above the top of the wire weed.

As for rig a heavy running ball sink will work but a heavyish seems more effective.

It sounds like you guys had a great time. Congrats on the beautiful fish you landed. I wish I could have been able to go with you guys...Next time! :)

As long as you had fun and obviously you brought home a feed so therefore I would say it was a successful day. Congrats once again!

Archived