Hunting and Shooting

Gazza

Well Done Gazza with the trophies !!

U must be a keen shot to get a few of them !!

My prey of choice is rabbits, pigs, roo's and feral cats but I really enjoy hunting humans on the xbox as most of the time as they fight back !!:)

My weapon of choice is a scoped 22cal semi automatic with a 12 shot mag using high velocity hollow tips for the smaller prey and solids for the slightly larger stuff.

When I feel like being a sneaky bugger stalking my targets I prefer to blast them with the side by side shotgun, works a treat!!;)

Yep...I prefer my stainless steel, hollowed out ball-bearing holding handle sling-shot as my choice of weapon. With tapered band allowing for a 20% increase in velocity and length compared to standard set up. :P

Personal preference were pesky animals at 5am on a Sunday .... i'll leave it at that.

Would love to go real shooting though. Can't say I've ever held a real gun.

Obone many years ago U could do the testing through ya local cop shop not to sure who does them now with the new laws...

The toughest part of the licencing is obtaining a valid reason for wanting to own a firearm.

Written proof from atleast 2 land owners who need vermin eradication done is a good starting measure or join a rifle/gun club they can assist in obtaining a licence and this would probably be a good idea.

Being able to safely show that U can/will store your weapons in an approved locker/storage and not leave them lying around after use...

Also criminal convictions will hamper obtaining a shooters licence so if you have one of them forget it!!!

The rest is just commonsence...

But don't quote me on the above as it probably has changed many times over the years.....

Jordan: Your game going near an injured wild pig mate. I have seen one kill a fully grown horse no worries.

*Edit: thats not entirely true. But the horse was so badly wounded from the tusks it had to be put to be shot*.

These were not the \"Babe\" variety you were shooting were they? :P

Angus

Thanks for the nice comments.

Preferred species

Feral Cats :angry:

pigs

goats and foxes and bloody crows

There are a few other ones too but I,m not going to name them here :silly:

previous fireams owned and to be replaced

Bruno model 2 .22 by far the most accurate 22 sporting rifle

i had a 22-250 but want a 220 swift now:)

Browning Lightning sporting clays U/O

and last but not least a 50 cal Hawkin muzzle loader great fun :woohoo:

Gaz

It is a hoot I miss my 50 cal :( abit harsh on rabbits though lol

When hunting pigs with a muzzle stuffer make sure you place your shot well (behind the ear works:P ) drops even the biggest pigs NP but half inch slugs (375 grain) with about 85 grains of tripple F powder up their butt will drop a pig out to 100 mt's NP :P

I did forget in my last post was a relaxing way to spend an afternoon was to head shot rabbits at ranges between 300-400 mts with the 22-250 :) 16x scope and a sand bag :woohoo:

and last but not least was a 2 gauge flintlock 1 and a 1/4 inch bore 6 ounces of shot or a BIG ball :woohoo:

Oh damm then there was the Cannons 2.5 \" diam bore mine and The ex wifes 1.75 and when Camping we used to take our 16' diam Teepee :silly: I'll dig some photos out :)

Gaz

I still got my buck skins I sewed by hand too

I used to like pig shooting with my mates, but silly me let my shooters licence lapse through lack of use and not having the money at the time(also pissed off with the gun laws Johnny brought in) and now my biggest regret is letting it lapse, a real pain in the arse to get one now. Used to like wandering the paddocks with the old man as a kid shooting rabbits and hares and occasionally the neighbours cats by mistake:blush: Used to have a semi automatic 22 for that which Johnny bought back, but my fave gun was a mates old mans lever action Winchester real cowboy looking stuff:laugh:

Firearms applications are not too difficult to come by, infact I look at some people who come to renew and wonder how they got one in the first place.

Basically you need, an application form, proof of ID form, genuine reason form (most just go for recreational shooting here and get form signed by landholder) and a statement of attainment in gun handling (done through and shooting club)

I thinks its now $91.15 for application for 5 year licence.

All info can be found here though http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/

And my prefered weapon of choice? Glock 22 and never leave home without it :-)

Aaron H wrote:

I used to like pig shooting with my mates, but silly me let my shooters licence lapse through lack of use and not having the money at the time(also pissed off with the gun laws Johnny brought in) and now my biggest regret is letting it lapse, a real pain in the arse to get one now. Used to like wandering the paddocks with the old man as a kid shooting rabbits and hares and occasionally the neighbours cats by mistake:blush: Used to have a semi automatic 22 for that which Johnny bought back, but my fave gun was a mates old mans lever action Winchester real cowboy looking stuff:laugh:

I too let mine lapse Aaron. But I didn't get rid of my rifles. Then one day Booty's mates knocked on the door asking for someone with the same name as me. Long story short I don't have rifles anymore. Have taken the boys out a few times to shoot with my dad, but when he goes, so will the pleasure of taking the boys shootin':(

worked on Longreach for 9 months on 1958, never went near butcher shop, wild pig,plain turkey,duck, mutton,yellowbelly. Tried emu and roo but too tough even when pressure cooked.

Fattened up our own pigs in back yard till health inspector raided us one morning so we moved them out to Cramsie radio station which was Commonwealth property where they had no juristriction.

Made good money from pig shooting used to get 2 and sixpence for a snout roo skins were not worth the effort.

5 bob for an eagle.

If it moved we shot it. How things have changed we would be all in clink nowdays.

Ray

not wrong there ray.i used to shoot feral pests (donkeys,goats and camels mainly)for bounty in the top end of W.A. back in the seventys. wasn't much else to do in those little mining towns and it was good pocket money too, just take the scalps to the local cop shop and they'd write you out a check.

rayke1938 wrote:

Tell em about the time the flashing lights came out from behind the widgee trees.

Yeah I think both the coppers have retired now, so probably safe! (John and Ross if you out there, hope there's no hard feelings!)

I was a young bloke not long moved to Barcaldine, around 1985.

I had just picked up my first 308, a mean looking Spanish civil war vintage military carbine circa 1880. Mail ordered from Amart for the princely sum of $30 delivered by Australia post. (Amart allsports used to sell mail order military surplus rifles)

Me and my mad mates were out spotlighting the side of the road to Blackall on a friday night, about 10:30 pm, We had been driving up and down shooting at anything that moved, as one did in those days, when we came across this huge billy goat someone had run over and hung from the road sign at the intersection to the local river road on the town common.

SO we pulled up and had a bit of a look. After a few minutes and photo's standing next to the this huge goat, someone suggested it might be a good chance to see exactly how big a hole this old carbine would put in something.

So hopped out of the car for a better shot, pulled out this old carbine, loaded it up with a couple of SLR 308 rounds, and shot the old goat in the head.

Well lights and sirens from the scrub behind the sign, \"mates\" still sitting in car floored it, black rubber up the road for a 100 hundreds, very angry Senior Constable comes out of scrub to find just me standing on side of road holding the smoking gun as it were! Game bugger, did not even pull his gun on me, just gave me a \"somewhat stern\" earful!

Apparently we were at the end of the local \"quarter mile\" and the coppers were waiting in the bushes for the local kids to come out drag racing after 10pm when the pubs shut.

Scared the crap out of me, no doubt the Coppers had a bit of a \"moment\" as well, this old carbine used to shoot 15 foot of flame out of the barrel when ever you fired it. The bullet must have gone clean over the top of the cop car!

When I was standing before the judge, and the Sarge was reading out his notes from the handbook, (The local sergeant was also the police prosecutor in those days)I dont think it helped my case with the old Sarge that the Magistrate was pissing himself laughing as the Sarge read out the Senior's notes.

Geez these days I probably would have got shot, or charged with terrorism or something!

Cost me $60 fine from the magistrate, and $30 court costs. Took 3 months to go to court, and the police held on to my gun until I went to court (Gave it back after I paid the fine).

Had a few words with mates who left me sitting on the side of the road as well! Best think though was later when the photo's were developed, the light on top of the cop car could clearly be seen in the flash, but we did not notice it at the time!

Another fun form of fishing/shooting was Down on the Darling river running through private property my mate used to manage

one afternoon he said grab your shottie and a heap of shells We'll go have some fun :)

There is a weir crossing the river with about a 4 foot drop in river level ;)

you could see these huge carp get a run up and jump upstream to the higher level what they wern't expecting was us standing there and blowing the crap outta them when they got airbourne with the 12 gauges :woohoo:

we missed quite a few but blew away a heap all in all great fun was had and heaps of these pests destroyed :)

Gaz

Archived