Front Rockwall fun - one week ago ......

kmcrosby78

G'day all,

Finally getting around to writing a report from a fun session my brother Michael and I had at the front rockwall at the river mouth last Sunday. Got up about 3am, couldn't get any herring in front of the poo schute but managed some nice mullet, gar and some big prawns on the flats next to it, inlcluding two BIG mullet that Michael kept for a feed (we forgot to bleed them and he still said they went down alright). Put the pots out, always takes longer in the dark and you just want to be fishing!!!!

Sped over to the rockwall with the plan to hopefully just fish it and not head to Mud this time. Wasn't sure whether to fish the section inside the river or out the front, ended up liking the look of the corner so anchored up and got fishing. Michael had a screaming run within about 2 mins but it spat the hook. DOOHHHHHH!!!!!! (Good signs though!!).

I got a good run about 30mins later (sun was just up), few thumps and headshakes and I'm thinking I've got a PB squire but turned out to be a catshark. DOOOHHHHHHH again!!!!!!!

Thought I'd get my line back out (after replacing the rubbed leader) and then start chucking a popper. Get about two casts in when the rod in the holder starts bending. Decent little fight and a 40cm squire comes in - now I'm happy!!!! Hadn't caught a squire for a fair while (in fact first one this year I'm pretty sure) so good to get back into them.

Put him in the esky, get the line back out and into the holder and back to flicking the popper. Forgot to add that once light hit it became apparent that something was schooled up against the rocks and they were getting harrassed frequently so was anxiously throwing the popper wanting to hookup. Few close calls and finally I'm on - decent little fight and a 37/38cm tailor comes in - FIRST FISH ON A POPPER I REALISE A MINUTE LATER WHILE I'M SORTING IT OUT. YOU BEAUTY!!! I should add that the photo makes it look like I foulhooked it - I didn't it should the hooks out when I lay the net on the seat SO IT STILL COUNTS ......

post-5510-144598952673_thumb.jpg

Not the best photo but at this stage I'm pretty excited and am focussed on getting a livie in amongst the action while I retrieve my popper and get back into it.

Seems to be a few more swipes but no more hookups so I switch to a metal slug which requires some focus to start winding quick enough to stop it from snagging. No hits on the 20g slugs so try a 10g, still nothing, so try a 5g Halco Twisty. BINGO!! Get a hit not far from the rocks in probably not much over one metre of water - focus on trying to keep it high in the water as it tries to run towards Mud Island. I stop it's progress and have it coming back the other way and am starting to get a bit more comfortable (and bloody anxious to see what it is - in my mind at this stage I'm thinking little tuna or trevally are most likely but could easily be good tailor or a jewie)when suddenly it busts me on the rocks - DOOOHHHHH!!! Must have been a random rock raising up off the bottom cause I thought I was doing alright. Devastated!!!!

Tied on a 5g Gillies Pilchard lure but it snagged first cast and got cut off from literally a few winds of the handle. Oh well, there goes $10 of lures in a couple of minutes flat!!!

Didn't end up getting another one on. We were a bit confused what was causing all the commotion. There were plenty of big mullet jumping, some big silvery sides flashing under the water near the rocks, and plenty of bait sprays. Plus I seemed to get plenty of attempted strikes at the popper, unless it was just mullet rolling out of the way/getting spooked?? Colin (Motley Crew) put up a report this same day - bit quicker than me!!) with a school mackerel so could have been them. We just couldn't decide if the water was thick with big mullet or predators (little tuna, tailor, jewies, trevally, etc) that were smacking the baitfish (hardiheads or similar). I'm assuming the mullet wouldn't have been hunting the baitfish?

Got bugger all in our pots - only two keeper sandies to add to one that Michael caught on his line. Most pots seemed to have one big jenny muddie and one undersized sandie.

Had water police check us whilst fishing and were very friendly, didn't measure our catch just checked we knew our sizes (forgot to say that Michael got a 26cm moses perch and a 26cm bream that he kept for a feed). After we checked our last pot we started speeding through the river mouth, looked to my left as I was about to angle to the other side (wharves) of the river and had the SHEET scared out of me as a 'boat' was tearing alongside us about 20m back. It was the water police again, just wanted to check if we got any crabs so we showed them. I chuckled as I slowed down that they had scared the CREPE out of me!!!!!

All in all a very fun day - just need to find a way to capatalise on all this activity I am seeing. Forgot to add that I changed from having a livie (first 15cm mullet and then a BIG herring which copped a few little knocks) out amongst the bait activity and tried half pillies for a while and no touches so don't think there were many tailor around.

post-5510-144598952709_thumb.jpg

Not a huge feed but a feed nonetheless.

Thanks for reading and sorry it's so late!!!

Cheers guys. Angus - is this about the normal timing for this sort of action at the wall?

Jigmeister - yeah I know what you mean about phones (although I'm tight and a technophobe so only buy cheap $20 bricks) - I went through 3 in a couple of months last year. Missus was REALLY happy!!!!

Archived