Overwhelmed by choice

Jig_Meister

Hi guys!

Ok so, i went and got my self a credit card. :evil:

Now i am looking at joining the yakker's on the water but here's my problem.

I am 6.3ft 110 kgs and a sagitarius and i enjoy long walk's along the beach,

all joking aside i'm a big lad.

I was looking at Freak kayaks they look great but to small for my liking

then i proceeded to look at every other kayak on the planet

Ocean kayks, Hobie, Ebay kayaks, Malibu, Viking.

I was so deep into researching i have been overwhelmed with you tube vid's and

website's im sick to death of marketers telling me how good there product is....

So what i am asking is if you could turn back time to before you bought your first kayak with all the knowlege you have now and you where my size what would you do ?

Hobie's are to expensive in my books and i don't think i will enjoy a tiny yak (I could be wrong)

So should i buy one in particular or hire a few yaks out to try my luck on? or should i go to charltons at redbank and get him to tell me what i need hes a good bloke known him for years im sure he will point me in the right direction but i want YOU! the yakker to the unsponcered truth teller to give me advice

If you read this thank you if you reply YOU"RE AWESOME! :silly:

Not super experienced on kayaks but of the few I have used I found hobies easily the best for fishing. You are right about them being expensive though.

- Easier to peddle rather than paddle all day. Your legs are a larger muscle group than your arms.

- Leaves your hands free for flicking lures while you are on the move.

- Faster than a paddle kayak.

Look at the Jackson range...The Coosa is nice and wide and would probably suit you.

I am around your weight and it was the most stable one out of all the kayaks i sat on when i was looking at them...but i didn't end up going down that road and stuck to bigger boats.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1nq7m97lo

Throw up a rough budget so people can help you find a suitable yak mate.

Sorry mate i forgot to be more specific.

Ok so budget wise i only want to spend about 700-1100 max(For something 'like' a hobie)

I will be fishing brissie river, broadwater, pine, and caloundra inlet

And thanks for all the replies so fast :woohoo:

Cheers jamie

Look at the Jackson range...The Coosa is nice and wide and would probably suit you.

I am around your weight and it was the most stable one out of all the kayaks i sat on when i was looking at them...but i didn't end up going down that road and stuck to bigger boats.

WOW That is a REALLY nice yak :ohmy: (Drools)

Well with a credit card you are stuck to buying new unfortunately as most guys don't take credit cards at home and most stores only sell new.

A few options are Viking Tempo (what Ant has Jords, bloody hell you've fished with him enough times you should know this!), Viking Profish, Ocean kayak any of the Ultra series, Prowler series or even the Tetra's (CHarlton's stock them but IMHO they are expensive for what they are), Hobie Quest (yes hobie do paddle yaks as well and it is a good piece of kit), Wilderness systems Tarpon 120, 140, 160 (comfy seat built in). I had a Coosa found it an awesome fishing platform but a pig to paddle long distances and every puff of wind made me do circles, maybe the Cuda never paddled one but they look good.

There are others out there as well that I can't think of at the moment but I might get back to you with them.

BTW ring Sunstate Hobie and check out what trade ins they have in stock, quite possible to get a second outback or Revo for under $2K

Oh and both BCF and Anaconda have sales on at the moment 40% off from memory. Any of the Malibu's are good just find one that suits and has the payload you want.

Hope this helps not confuses :lol:

WOW That is a REALLY nice yak :ohmy: (Drools)

There's the Big Tuna too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws1ton6ynGY&list=PL438E377B4448457A

Ok so budget wise i only want to spend about 700-1100 max(For something 'like' a hobie)

Cheers jamie

For that kind of cash you will be looking more like a Viking Espri, Mantra Mana, Tetra's I think are in that price range but they are all the upper of it. Don't forget you will need things like paddle and seat if they are not included, rod holders, cheap sounder? That is where buying second hand would be better. Maybe buy some of your weekly stuff like groceries, etc on the card and keep the cash aside that you would normally spend on it that way you can get a fully kitted up yak for around a grand second hand from gumtree, ebay etc.

Good luck

Cheers jamie

For that kind of cash you will be looking more like a Viking Espri, Mantra Mana, Tetra's I think are in that price range but they are all the upper of it. Don't forget you will need things like paddle and seat if they are not included, rod holders, cheap sounder? That is where buying second hand would be better. Maybe buy some of your weekly stuff like groceries, etc on the card and keep the cash aside that you would normally spend on it that way you can get a fully kitted up yak for around a grand second hand from gumtree, ebay etc.

Good luck

Even if you want to buy second hand but only have the credit card, most people take PayPal these days and if they are reluctant because of the fee's you just offer to pay the fee's for them...I have done it lots of times and even had to pay their fee's every now and then.

P.S to Wayne...God you've owned some Kayaks mate.

Cheers jamie

Good luck

So if you where me, would you increase the budget? i can increase it but i dont even have a rough idea of what paying to much or too less is with kayaks because hobie's are like 2-3grand and freaks are $600 thats why i am so confused i can't put my finger on anything

Thanks for the reply

James

A few options are Viking Tempo (what Ant has Jords, bloody hell you've fished with him enough times you should know this!)

:blush:

I guess I dont spend as much time as you checking him out :silly: :lol::P

Not him. his yak. I think all yaks are sexy...they are like boobs, you just want to play with them and that is why I have had so many :cheer:

Mate,

I grabbed a viking pro fish from the big snake a couple of years ago. I am a big unit, I was 150kg+ back then, and it was and still is, a great Yak. I have since lost 30kg and I still get out in it when I can. Great fun.

As the boys will tell you, the bigger the yak, the harder you have to work... in saying that i muck about in creeks & canals normally and it is pretty good. You won't be disappointed if you go that way.

Hi guys, when I was looking at yaks prior to purchase I went to Sunstate Hobie, the salesman there said when I quizzed him on price. After you've owned a few cheaper yaks you will come back and buy a Hobie. I bought a Viking Profish45, which is great by the way, but I always drool over the Hobie adds, one day I will go buy one, but not until I find I've outgrown the Viking. Good luck with your search.

I went through this same exercise about 2 months ago.

By the time I checked out all the different yaks and sellers I was so confused as to what I wanted.

I refuse to ever spend 2-3 grand on a yak as I would buy a boat for that price.

I only wanted a yak for the skinny water so weight and length was a big consideration for me.

Maneuverability and weight for dragging across rocks or between water holes was probably my biggest factor plus getting it to and from the water from the car.

I ended up buying the ones below which I have not used yet but I think they will do the job just perfectly.

The green one is a 3m Wavedance Calypso and carries 150kg and the blue one is the smaller Wavedance Echo but only carries 120kg.

post-7680-144598953853_thumb.jpg

The Wavedance Calyso is a fantastic yak. My friends who got me into kayak fishing have one each and they can fit so much in it for kayak camping. Theirs are about 10 years old now and have seen numerous trips up the Upper Noosa and over to Peel Island camping for a few days with whatever we could carry on and in the yaks. Plus we have had way more than 150kg's on them at once B) Like most kayaks the payload is under quoted for what it can really carry.

Don't get sucked into the whole "you can't beat a Hobie" drivel, they're great yes, but not the be all and end all- and ask Jords and Dan25 how fun they can be when the pedals fail and you're left paddling ;) When I was going through the same situation I looked at a lot of different kayaks, in the end I bought my Viking Tempo because it is the perfect compromise, it can do everything from skinny water bass to light offshore. Pricewise you'll be able to pick up a brand new one with a seat and paddle within your budget, but IMO spend a bit more and get the rudder kit as it not only makes the yak much more manouverable but also allows an electric to be easily fitted if you so desire. As has been mentioned by my wonderful mates :evil: I'm not exactly small (5'11" and 120kg) but this yak suits me just fine, and with a bit of work on your paddling you can get it moving along at a fair clip. Whatever you do though, please don't get a pedal Hobie just because people say they're better than everything else, mypet hat is when someone asks an opinion on kayaks and everyone jumps on the Hobie bandwagon, they're just not as versatile IMO.

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!!

I am going to have a look at some kayaks today sit in a few and see them in person so i can size them up :evil: Price wise ide rather not spend to much but enough to be happy B)

Thank you for helping me get on the staright and narrow

im going to start by having a look at the eco ambush at bcf 'Looks' cool but time will tell

ill keep you updated on what i purchase

I do have one last request though

What sort of money am i looking at to kit it out with anchor/sounder/eski etc.?

P.s you guys are legends

Others will argue but...if your fishing buy a hobie.

My advice, buy second hand . They all get the same general wear and tare over time, wether you scratch the hell out of the hull on an costed covered rock or if someone has done It for you doesn't matter

I bought an outback couple years ago and spent 3600 on it new from substrate hobie.

Do I think it was worth that much ?? No not really ends the advice to go second hand

If you buy anything else and love the style o fishing you will probably end up with one further down the line

:)

Just my two cents and definitely not gospel

Callum

I bought a second hand hobie outback - set me back about $1400-$1600 from memory.

I'm about the same size as you in height and weight and went with the outback as it has the extra width - like me. :blush: The main reason I went with a hobie is because most of the yakking I do is either in the bay, larger creeks/rivers or offshore. The outbacks handle the chop well and are stable no matter which direction the swell is running. I have found it a little more difficult to manuevour in skinnier creeks, however, it just meant pulling out the paddle for a short while.

I have spent $250 on a sounder and a battery (money well spent too), mine holds an esky on the back beautifully and as far as the whole anchor trolley thing goes - I don't subscribe to that. I find it easy enough to anchor without a series of pulleys along the side, all I do is use the small horn cleat in the c0ckpit to attach to and run the anchor out the front or back, you can use the rudder to help dictate the direction you sit in the current. yeah ok, it's not "perfect" but it works and is cheap.

My advice - if you are not sure what you want, start with a basic model. it won't set you back a whole lot of dollars and from there you can work out what is missing or what you want to change for your next yak. they don't depreciate hugely in value which means you won't lose a whole lot of coin should you wish to trade up. You will also be able to work out how often you will use it and whether it is worth trading up.

Cheers,

Benno

(on a seperate note - wasn't allowed to post as the post contained the word c0ckpit. whoever the language police are, c'mon, really??)

For your height and weight I would recommend one of these three

Viking Tempo

Viking profish (faster but less stable than the tempo)

Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 or 4.5

I'd go the profish or prowler over the tempo, as you become more used to the yaks you would appreciate the extra speed the slightly narrower yaks give.

I'm slightly shorter, heavier, started in the Tempo, now enjoy the prowler.

I do have smaller yaks (4 of them) but they are horses for courses and used for specific activities, the bigger yaks are more versatile.

I went to bcf yesterday and had a look at the Emotion Eco ambush and mojo thy're nice yaks

but there is a sale on at the moment till the 19th 40% off X( i wont have my credit card by then

so now just researching the yaks you guys suggested to me i like the look of that coosa but like you said it will be sluggish i am aiming towards something slimmer now as covering ground faster means more time fishing ^_^

thank you guys so much for sharing your knowledge i really really appreciate it.

im really not buying the whole hobie fanboy thing

way to much money for a plastic mold

i cannot justify paying 3 grand for a yak i know nothing about except what the marketers tell me

Cheers jamie

i will post on here when i buy a yak and hopefuly we can meet up for a fish

and you can watch me fall in :pinch:

I went to bcf yesterday and had a look at the Emotion Eco ambush and mojo thy're nice yaks

but there is a sale on at the moment till the 19th 40% off X( i wont have my credit card by then

so now just researching the yaks you guys suggested to me i like the look of that coosa but like you said it will be sluggish i am aiming towards something slimmer now as covering ground faster means more time fishing ^_^

thank you guys so much for sharing your knowledge i really really appreciate it.

im really not buying the whole hobie fanboy thing

way to much money for a plastic mold

i cannot justify paying 3 grand for a yak i know nothing about except what the marketers tell me

Cheers jamie

i will post on here when i buy a yak and hopefuly we can meet up for a fish

and you can watch me fall in :pinch:

just chuck it on lay-by and pay the balance when you get the credit card, it's something like 10 or 20% deposit and then you get 90 days to pay it off. I do it sometimes when theres a good sale and I dont have the cash. it just locks in the sale price.

in fact, i'm going down there today to put a malibu on lay-by!

• 3 weeks later...

I am still sitting on my money don't want to blow it without weighing up every option.

I have been really interested in a couple of yaks to name a few: Wilderness systems - Tarpon 120 and the Hobie outback (Simply because of the mirage drive) but i honestly can't justify buying one brand new they are ridiculously overpriced i don't care how good they are you can buy a tinny with that much money!.

but the tarpon 120 looks the Goods in my eyes but i am worried that there is no rudder and no pedal power how are you guys finding not having pedals is it really that bad? as hobie users like to point out i mean one of the reasons for me getting a kayak is for fitness and the mirage drive would blow that out of the water! haha well i am not making any sudden moves untill i am 99.99% certain.

Thank you for all of the replies you have really givin me some really great advice

Cheers Jamie

I have a both pedal and paddle yaks in the garage. You're welcome to try both. Can meet somewhere and I'll bring both and have a try on both and wet a line for a morning one weekend

Thanks a million tomca that sounds like a great idea, didn't even think about that.

Try before i buy ^_^

Well i am taken up fishing in the next couple of weeks ( Hard life B) ) but after that i am fine, feel free to Pm me when your are keen :lol:

Cheers again Jamie

Mm tough choice, having just been through this path myself. I was coerced into a left turn against the name brands due to the drag chutes financial concerns. I'm not sure if you mind Chinese copies but after checking this one over I can't really complain about the finish or fittings. Paid by Paypal, no issues with this seller and his warehouse are legit (I drove from Sydney to pick it up and check them out). I believe it is a copy of the Mantra Noa with a touch of Malibu Mini-X.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-Kayak-Sit-on-Kayak-with-5-Rod-Holders-Luxury-Padded-Seat-Paddle-Camo-/330930368390

Just another option for you, I realise lots of guys wont buy Chinese for various valid reasons.

Mm tough choice, having just been through this path myself. I was coerced into a left turn against the name brands due to the drag chutes financial concerns. I'm not sure if you mind Chinese copies but after checking this one over I can't really complain about the finish or fittings. Paid by Paypal, no issues with this seller and his warehouse are legit (I drove from Sydney to pick it up and check them out). I believe it is a copy of the Mantra Noa with a touch of Malibu Mini-X.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-Kayak-Sit-on-Kayak-with-5-Rod-Holders-Luxury-Padded-Seat-Paddle-Camo-/330930368390

Just another option for you, I realise lots of guys wont buy Chinese for various valid reasons.

Thanks mate,

The problem is i always skimp on price then end up buying expensive anyway.

It is a stupid habit but when i do alot of research into things and buy expensive-ish things i always feel better for it.

So now what i do is focus on asthetics and bang for buck and future proof equipment i dont have much but what i do have has been outstanding so far

Thank you very much for your input

:D

i am going to the coast this weekend for a fish and then going to a few kayak stores to size them up in person

Cheers again Jamie

Archived