The Rubber Ducky Chronicles (or The SS Nothing Suss is born)

Doobsy

I grew up on Sydney Harbour. During these formative years, I learned to catch Bream and Leatherjackets off jetties and rocks and my family also had a mooring security business that had a few boats including a couple of Zodiac inflatables, or "Rubber Duckies".

During this time, a close friend of the family had a custom-built "Ducky" based on the Zodiac 'Sea-Rider'.

Over time, the business closed and people move on with their lives and careers. Our friend moved to Europe to work with a major cruise line and gave his Ducky to my Dad. The Ol' Man fanged around the upper Pittwater for years until eventually he passed the Ducky on to my brother who lives in Kiama on the South Coast of NSW.

Several years passed and my brother had three kids, a lack of spare time and more passion for trail bikes than using the boat and/or fishing.

The decision was made that I would resurrect the Duck from a life of sitting un-loved in the backyard of my brothers' and just taking up space.

I took receipt of the Ducky and proceeded to spend a fair amount of time and money getting her from "Rotting on a Trailer" to "Seaworthy" status.

This included; Replacing and re-lining seats, new valves, trailer rego, a massive clean-out, replacing rusted parts, a new trailer winch, new inspection ports, servicing the motor and more.

After many weeks in the car port and going bit by bit, I was able to drop her in for her first wet-run.

I took along my mate Sweresy, we dropped her in at Jacobs Well and went out to the Pin for some drifts along the flats to target some Bream, lizards and Whiting.

Dropping her in.

post-4593-144598954707_thumb.jpg

Firing Up

post-4593-144598954751_thumb.jpg

Nothing Suss...

post-4593-144598954756_thumb.jpg

Fangin' (40HP Yamaha/Mariner Twin Carb 2 Stroke)

post-4593-144598954762_thumb.jpg

First Blood

post-4593-144598954768_thumb.jpg

post-4593-144598954773_thumb.jpg

That was a couple of weeks ago and the plan was to hit the Bay this morning.

A week worrying about the wind forecasts was put to sleep by 1 knot breezes and no swell.

We headed out from Manly and hit the length of the wall for a great session which included; 3 Snaps, over a dozen Bream, a reasonable Chopper and a Flattie. We were also owned a few times due to "Silly String" due to the fact that we were only fishing 3-4lb... :blush:

Great conditions heading out

post-4593-144598954779_thumb.jpg

Sweresy with dinner

post-4593-144598954786_thumb.jpg

No good photos of good fish due to the fact that there's no room on the Ducky for camera gear so apologies for the iPhone photos.

Just wanted to share the fact that I was able to get my good mate, who gets me out there often, on to some fish and especially today as it was his birthday yesterday.

Happy Birthday mate and don't forget to return my esky. ;)

Yeah, a transom reinforcement, sounder, some sealant on some pesky little leaks, a bigger fuel tank (EATS the gas... :dry: ) and I'll be heading out wide! :woohoo:

Top speed at the moment un-trimmed and two-up is 46km/h.

A few tweaks and she should be blasting close to 60km/h.

I had room for two good cameras on my yak. Just sayin'. Another reason why kayaks are better than those stink boats I guess ;)

A bit quicker than my little boat but I reckon it will be awesome for a quick blatt out to Mud when Sweresy refuses to let you on his new boat.

I had room for two good cameras on my yak. Just sayin'. Another reason why kayaks are better than those stink boats I guess ;)

A bit quicker than my little boat but I reckon it will be awesome for a quick blatt out to Mud when Sweresy refuses to let you on his new boat.

He has to take me. Not only do I buy him excellent birthday presents or get a boat when he is between boats but I'm also his official, personal, photographer. :P

IF this boat takes mine in a point to point blatt, im going to be SOOOO pissed.

cheers for the sesh, pan snaps tonight for dinner. my fave....

I forgot to tell you I haven't adjusted the accelerator. It's currently idling too high so the control arm doesn't get it to top speed... :evil:

He has to take me. Not only do I buy him excellent birthday presents or get a boat when he is between boats but I'm also his official, personal, photographer. :P

All very true but proving that there is 'nothing suss' going on is now going to be bloody hard !!! LOLLLL ....

IF this boat takes mine in a point to point blatt, im going to be SOOOO pissed.

cheers for the sesh, pan snaps tonight for dinner. my fave....

I forgot to tell you I haven't adjusted the accelerator. It's currently idling too high so the control arm doesn't get it to top speed... :evil:

dont tell me that... :S :S

Archived