Snapper starting to show up

goulza

post-11541-1445989557_thumb.jpg

post-11541-144598955712_thumb.jpg

Well we had a good day at Mud yesterday.

I took a friend of mine with me on his first fishing trip and 10 minutes after sunrise he hooks a good Snapper on the Z man soft plastic.

We ended up crusing around the island trying to explore new ground and ended up getting 2 Tailor and 2 undersize Squire.

The big Snapper was 83cm and 22lb gutted...not bad for a first timer!

I also accidentally discovered a way to change the colour of the Z man plastics... I had put the 4' curly tails in white pearl, into a bag with curly tails in the motor oil colour.

This made the plastic turn green at the head and the fish seem to like the new colour.

I went out again today by myself and got 3 more snapper with the biggest being 40+cm but released them all. My trip was cut short when I tangled both of my rods braid on the cheap reels I should have never bought, so it was back to BCF this afternoon to spend another weeks wages on all new gear...Ready to go next weekend in search of a big knobby!

post-11541-144598954881_thumb.jpg

post-11541-144598955023_thumb.jpg

post-11541-144598955032_thumb.jpg

sorry guys for some reason it only loaded one photo out of the 7...it it saying unable to process photos so will try again later.

Yeah I am starting to think the scales the guy had were faulty...they read 9.7kg when the fish was gutted

That's a cracker of a Mud snapper mate - congrats to you and your mate. I've yet to reach the 50's yet around Mud let alone the 80's. Couple of questions if you don't mind: Firstly, what pound line was used? Secondly, with a fish this size in shallow-ish water, can they be succesfully landed while anchored or do you need to chase them? REALLY hoping that one day my line goes beserk with one of these beasts on so would be good to have some sort of a 'plan'. My rods I use there are 8lb and 12lb. Cheers.

Cheers,

It was our first time trying Mud Island and I have been reading alot on forums about techniques and tide times etc but it will take many more trips to be able to catch them consistantly as I am still learning where the reefs and structure are.

It was caught 10 minutes after sunrise on 10lb braid with 14lb fluro leader on a cheap $40 Daiwa 2-7kg rod and the cheap $30 Abu Garcia FT 2000 reel.

He was in 25ft of water with no structure or anything showing up on the sounder in that area, and we had to chase him as he took 100 yards of the braid and I didnt want him to get to the 8lb mono backing or it would have been the one that got away.

We fish off a jet ski and dont anchor although there have been times I wanted to anchor over good sounder readings. Its very frustrating when the wind keeps pushing us passed good spots as I prefer not to fire the engine up to move as this can shut them down in shallower areas.

It is also worth noting that the exact Z man plastic he was caught on has now caught 1 Jewfish, 5 snapper and a tailor and it is still in good condition...the hook is a little bent :)

Archived