Great fun on the kayaks!

Chris McNamara

On Saturday, me and my mate decided to take the kayaks in a little saltwater creek not too far from his house. He hooked up to a nice little GT and then shortly after i hooked up to a little flathead.

The next day we decided to go to Green Island which is probably 2km or so off the beach. We were trawling on the way there and i decided to change my lure, so as soon as I went to touch the rod i was hooked! My drag was going off seeming as i had 4lb braid and 12lb leader, we were both excited to see what it was that i was hooked onto. We finally saw it and were fairly amazed that i reeled in a little Spanish Mackerel on such light gear. Shortly after i released it we went around the island and were flicking. I was flicking towards some rocks that were sticking out of the water and i was hooked on again! This fish was slightly toeing me abit in my kayak but Callum and I were determined to find out what it was. As soon as i landed it we were shocked from the size of this Tarpon I landed! My mate had one snap off and we landed quite a few sannet (Juvenile Barracuda).

On the way back home we were trawling and all what i hooked up to was a little cod and then we finally arrived at the boat ramp.

All in all it was a fun fishing trip in our kayaks going to places nearby :)

Rod- Nordic Stage Sharpshooter, Reel- Stradic 1000FJ

post-12261-144598955046_thumb.jpg

post-12261-144598955059_thumb.jpg

post-12261-144598955069_thumb.jpg

post-12261-144598955079_thumb.jpg

post-12261-144598955088_thumb.jpg

post-12261-144598955098_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ahahaha, thanks all, Of course the tarpon done his massive stupid jumps but it made me turn my kayak around a few times and i had to chase it down a fair bit! Very fun though!

Also, there are a fare few crocs around the Mackay waters, but i am sure there would be only a few around Green Island, My friend and i met the owner of the island and he told us alot of fish he caught around the island and he was telling us that he spotted a 3m or so croc laying on the mud bank, on the green zone side of the island.

Archived