Pet bass?

beckenry

Hmmm has closed season started..... ?
Yes. You can still take from most impoundments but with a minimum legal size of 30cm it is not really ideal to be taking wild stock for a tank, especially 2. With a store bought juvie you can get it to eat readily available food much more easily and it will be much more sociable. Also remember that the 2 fish possession limit will apply for any wild caught fish meaning that if you ever decide to take one for a feed you would be breaking the law.

Come to Pet Super Store in Capalaba, we have heaps of bass around 2 inch long at only around 6-8 bucks and you should also get a little heater and then chuck a little barra in with the bass. The Barras are around $10 and are a few mm smaller then the bass and they both get along at that size. I had a tank with the two and had white sand on the bottom with a nice piece of tree root/ log and was an awesome setup. Good thing about these two fish is that there really tough!

I collected native aquarium fish for years, and have pretty much had all there is to have. Natives are ver difficult to mix and match, and I can save you a heap of trouble by giving you a few pointers.

Not sure where you live Beckenry, but there are three great places on the northside of Brisbane that all have expertise in natives and should always have them in stock. 1) Atlas Aquarium, Rode Road, Wavell Heights; 2) Pet Super Store, Stafford Road, Stafford; and 3) Aquarama, Stafford Road, Stafford.

... and then chuck a little barra in with the bass.

Do not do this. Unless you want your bass to only last about 2 months and be expensive feed. I learnt this all the hard way. It'd be great to have all your favourite natives all in one tank, however you never will. I had a tank full of natives including 2x15cm bass, I put one small barra x 5cm in, and watched over 3 months as he ate every living last thing, including two eel tail catfish and a 25cm archerfish. Barra grow really fast and will eat till bursting, as do saratoga and mangrove jack. Bass grow very slowly, are skittish, usually hide a lot, and will mostly eat at night or with the lights out.

Yellowbelly, sleepy cod, murray cod, are dull and boring, mostly sit under a log and do very little. They wont grow as fast as barra, but will grow faster than bass, and will also ultimately eat everything they can fit in their mouths.

IMO, get species of fish with the same mouth size, same diet, and same growth rate. Good luck, and have fun!

Archived