Land-based (lure) fishing on Brisbane River

gobac

Hello friends,

I have been a faithful follower of this forum but, as an average fisherman, I never had anything of value to contribute. Thank you so much for the hints and tips over the years.

Recently, I've decided to set one day a week aside to fish up and down the Brisbane River with nothing but my backpack with some tackle (with various lures) and a light rod. Ideally I would spend good 5-6 hours each morning fishing and be home before midday for all other responsibilities.

I would like some tips on spots to pick that would produce some sort of action with lures and which lures, you think, would work best. Stories of past success are welcome :)

I am fairly new to fishing with hard and soft plastics and would like to know what sort of retrieving techniques worked for you on Brissy River (land-based).

Thank you in advance

I wish to target any fish that would take my lure :)

To answer your question, I am not sure. I will try several different types of lures (recommended for all sorts of species) but I do not have a particular fish in mind.

Thank you,

I will start from Breakky Creek and see how I go there. There are lots of pics of people pulling out some big fish from that area.

Previously I have fished Tennyson area and around Chelmer but never with lures. I pulled out plenty of catfish and few eels and nothing else.

Ok now that I've seen so many lure retrieval videos, that I actually dreamt about them last night, I'm ready to give it a go this weekend. Can anyone suggest a lure that worked for them at Breakky Creek?

It depends on what you want to target in brekky creek really. Use a smaller soft plastic/hard body if you want bream or a bigger (maybe 4 or 5" or more) soft plastic if u want to track down some threadies/jewies or whatever is lurking in there. Ive never fished there myself, but if you try a variety of plastics/hardbodies and different retrieval methods you cant go wrong.

Just be ready to lose a fair amount of lures to the rocks around there. The old tactic used to be slow roll hard bodies while casting parallel to the rocks. Slow roll to the point that the lure is only *just* swimming.

From breaky creek if you head around the corner to the walkway infront of the apartments that face the main river, you can cast off that walkway directly out and slow roll in with the tip of your rod down. I'd never tried there during the day but did well at night there catching plenty of bream and occasionally smaller cod.

You can do the same thing near the mouth of breaky creek towards the bridge. Cast out within 1m of the wall, slow roll back in. Change up and cast out everyone once in a while as well.

You can do that same thing along the walkways of west end along the river. You can even cheat by floating some bread along the waters edge and waiting for the bream to pick them up then rolling a lure through that :)

It's cheating but it will help your confidence build up.

Hi

I am sure everybody has their idea of the best all round lure, but for me it would definitely be a ZMan 2.5" Grub on a size 1 hook. Probably about 1/8th ounce for where you are describing.

I like this lure because it is small enough to catch bream but the big fish will take it as well. It has a great action and you can hop or just slow roll it back (just make sure you let it hit the bottom when you first cast). As far as colours, first up try something natural like Bloodworm or the Motor Oil.

Good luck with it. It might take a while to have success, but is so much fun once you get into it. Persistence definitely pays off. As mentioned above, watch some Utube videos to get an idea of different styles of retrieves.

Andrew

Hi

I am sure everybody has their idea of the best all round lure, but for me it would definitely be a ZMan 2.5" Grub on a size 1 hook. Probably about 1/8th ounce for where you are describing.

I like this lure because it is small enough to catch bream but the big fish will take it as well. It has a great action and you can hop or just slow roll it back (just make sure you let it hit the bottom when you first cast). As far as colours, first up try something natural like Bloodworm or the Motor Oil.

Good luck with it. It might take a while to have success, but is so much fun once you get into it. Persistence definitely pays off. As mentioned above, watch some Utube videos to get an idea of different styles of retrieves.

Andrew

But I reckon Smoke Red Colour and 1/16th #2 Hook

Archived