Tailor and Dart and Cabarita

Daryl McPhee

HI all,

With the weather prediction and tides on Saturday, I decided to slip in a short session beach fishing in northern NSW. I decided before I left that Cabarita Beach would be my destination. Despite the favourable weather and tides, I was greeted with a lot more sweep than expected. With a keen eye though, it is often the case that you can find a location in a formation where the sweep is a bit less, or where it works for you. After a little bit of investigation, I found such a spot and using the light gear, it soon became apparent that there were plenty of dart in residence. I only wanted a few to take home, and after about half an hour I had what I wanted and had thrown back a few more as well. A swap to the tailor gear landed nothing until I moved about 500 metres up the beach. In the new location, a tailor was nailed first cast. Around dusk I nabbed a feed of tailor and let a few more fish go. The bite went cold quickly after dusk and while I suspected they would lob at a spot in the formation as the tide came in, I switched back to the light gear to try and find some bream, whiting or tarwhine. A move to a number of likely spots yielded no fish at all.

All in all it was a short little session that produced a feed, and with the exception of the ill-fated hunt for some bream et al., it proved productive.

Daryl

post-8391-144598966084_thumb.jpg

Archived